Damn It Feels Good to be a Jayhawk

Kansas Basketball.
Cascadia

Re: Damn It Feels Good to be a Jayhawk

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:23 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am Just got a “congrats on the natty” from Juwan Howard’s son.
I know, that and $2.25 gets me a ride on a bus and ridicule on here.
Why do you have interactions with Juwan Howard's son of all people?
He doesn't.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:23 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am Just got a “congrats on the natty” from Juwan Howard’s son.
I know, that and $2.25 gets me a ride on a bus and ridicule on here.
Why do you have interactions with Juwan Howard's son of all people?
Too long explanation….
I was with my sneaker buddies outside the Nike store on Michigan avenue and he walked by with a woman, his brother, and some white UM walk-on. I didn’t recognize him but my buddy who is a UM alum did. I said GO BLUE and he said GO BLUE back to me and then noticed I was wearing a KU hat and then said “congrats on the natty”.
Bunch of guys/players in town to participate in and watch the Jordan Brand Classic.

That’s them walking away….

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Holy smoke, 20 minutes of just highlights.
Defense. Rebounds.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

At long last, the full game is available on Youtube

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... gyAk3y9X10
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Does anyone know if the NC trophy is in the Booth Hall on campus? I’m possibly going to be in Lawrence on Saturday and wondering if it’s on display. Thanks in advance
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

zsn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm Does anyone know if the NC trophy is in the Booth Hall on campus? I’m possibly going to be in Lawrence on Saturday and wondering if it’s on display. Thanks in advance
My guess, is "no". They have been taking the trophy around for various appearances, so I doubt it is on display in the Booth Hall yet. That being said, I could be wrong.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yeah, i thought i saw where the guys had it with them on the barn-storming tour, but i could be mistaken
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I have to say, it ALWAYS feels good to be a Jayhawk to me.

This championship helps, but I would still be a great supporter of KU because of what KU means to me. The University.

I know for a lot of people that didn’t spend 4 or more years of their lives on the Hill, the championships carry a LOT of weight, and that is fine.

I love KU for the great experiences, friendships, and education / life lessons. For the nights at The Hawk and the Wheel, the breakfast beers at Johnny’s, the Border Bandido Texas burritos.

The pool tables at Captain Astros, dime draws at The Longneck. Louise’s for the Schooners. Putting Saran Wrap on the urinals at Cogburns to watch guys piss all over their feet!

LFK, to me, will always be Lawrence Fucking Kansas. Some of my best memories.

RCFuckingJhawk
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Well said Jeeper!

I'm curious, how many people who read this went to KU from out of state?

I 100% understand and appreciate Kansans love for KU but for me, I couldn't really care less about KU until the spring of 1984 (when I was 17). Before I visited the school, I would have put the odds of my attending at less than 5%. I visited on a perfect spring day. Fell in love with the campus and the atmosphere.

38 years later, here I am at 6:25am on a Kansas message board posting about how I am a proud Jayhawk who wears a KU hat many if not most days of the week, who is known around my office as a lover of KU and have at least a couple of hundred co-workers who truly appreciate that fact, who has non-KU friends and family members that took time to email/call/post on Facebook/text me congratulations after the Championship game, who will tell anyone/everyone who asks how great of a school KU is for many reasons - and not just the basketball program.

For the past 17 years I have worked in an atmosphere where education is "celebrated".
Truth is, right or wrong, being a KU alum simply isn't as prestigious as let's say being an Ivy League alum.
I fully admit at times I feel a bit insecure in that regard but - I am still proud to be a Jayhawk. Why wouldn't/shouldn't I be?
As far as school pride, for me, NOTHING beats the exchange of a "Rock Chalk" with a fellow KU alum.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:13 pm I have to say, it ALWAYS feels good to be a Jayhawk to me.

This championship helps, but I would still be a great supporter of KU because of what KU means to me. The University.

I know for a lot of people that didn’t spend 4 or more years of their lives on the Hill, the championships carry a LOT of weight, and that is fine.

I love KU for the great experiences, friendships, and education / life lessons. For the nights at The Hawk and the Wheel, the breakfast beers at Johnny’s, the Border Bandido Texas burritos.

The pool tables at Captain Astros, dime draws at The Longneck. Louise’s for the Schooners. Putting Saran Wrap on the urinals at Cogburns to watch guys piss all over their feet!

RCFuckingJhawk
word
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:14 am
Overlander wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:13 pm I have to say, it ALWAYS feels good to be a Jayhawk to me.

RCFuckingJhawk
word
Yup.
Well said.
The University of Kansas has tons of meaning in my life.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think that is the really cool thing about The University of Kansas and Lawrence Kansas, so many people from different backgrounds w/ different stories LOVE KU. The people around town who have lived there all their lives but didn't attend the school embrace KU, and vice versa. It's such a cool place and cool dynamic between town, people, and school.

For me, I don't have a single memory of not LOVING KU. I have been going to Lawrence since i was about 3. Raised a Jayhawk by Jayhawks. I was too stupid in my younger days to realize my biggest regret in life would be following friends to a different school closer to home.

And now I am raising 2 little Jayhawks. My 5yr old son could name just about every player we've had recently. He even knows who Thomas Robinson, Marcus/Markfieff Morris, Xavier Henry, Mario Chalmers, Andrew Wiggins, and Joel Embiid are from watching NBA or playing old video games with those guys in them. We watch all the games together. Every night during NBA games it is "did that guy go to Kansas?". They wear KU gear to school multiple times a week.

My dad went there for the better part of a decade. My aunt and uncle met there. My other uncle worked there. It's engrained in our family. My uncle who went there has cancer. Getting to experience another National Championship with them as a family was awesome this year because they are rare (more rare than they should have been for use during the Roy and Self eras). My aunt and uncle were both teachers so much like plano mentioned, their stories don't solely revolve around sports, they tell their stories of lessons and learning and intellectual growth.

I enjoy hearing the stories of all of your time there. My experience is a little different. I have been to many of those places (the one's still open) for many of those same activities, but always with my dad by my side, telling me his stories of fun and friendships and education. Next fall/winter, we (my dad and I, assuming we are both still alive) plan to take my son and daughter to Lawrence for the first time for their first game in AFH. And my dad will get to start telling them those same stories. Driving around showing them those same buildings and houses where he spent some of the best years of his life. And that will be very cool to experience.

Our stories are all different. But we are all Jayhawks in one way or another. That's what makes The University of Kansas and Lawrence KS so cool to me and so many others. Greatest place on earth imo.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also well said.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:29 am I think that is the really cool thing about The University of Kansas and Lawrence Kansas, so many people from different backgrounds w/ different stories LOVE KU. The people around town who have lived there all their lives but didn't attend the school embrace KU, and vice versa. It's such a cool place and cool dynamic between town, people, and school.
This fits right in with one of my trips down there. Me and two buddies came down for the Texas game in January 2011. After the game we hit up Mass St. Walking back to our hotel, because a taxi was two hour wait before uber, we stop by Burrito King(?). While standing there waiting for the last burrito we look over and see a good sized house party just down the street. Grab our food, head that way. Didn't know a single person in that town, started talking to the few guys that were standing outside the house. Next thing you know it's 3 hours later and we've been partying in this house like we knew these guys our whole lives.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I met a friend of mine at a house party on Tennessee. We became roomies our junior year. Have attended each others weddings. Make sure to try and see him everytime I'm in Lawrence.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think Illy cemented his Jayhawk love when learned Calipari worked for Larry Brown.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Meet Mrs 99 at a house on Tennessee.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There is some pride and even some fun in half of our household working for the University of Kansas in Lawrence.

But, there are other times when I wish I would have never seen that side of it.

Still not enough to shake my obsession er passion for pretty much everything KU.

College is such a huge part of your life but only 4-6 (on average) years of it. Really glad I did not choose a commuter school or one that logistically made "sense."