Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by randylahey »

AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm So who is the biggest loser minutes-wise by McCullar's return?
Could be Marcus adams jr
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 pm
AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm So who is the biggest loser minutes-wise by McCullar's return?
Could be Marcus adams jr
zero percent chance its Marcus adams jr.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think I agree with Randy and disagree with tdub there.
That's the opposite of normal.

My reasoning is Self has talked this off-season about wanting a big wing, and without McCullar, Marcus Adams is the only one they have.

Now, the real answer is probably "whoever Self would otherwise be recruiting hard right now (e.g. Kaluma)".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:05 pm I think I agree with Randy and disagree with tdub there.
That's the opposite of normal.

My reasoning is Self has talked this off-season about wanting a big wing, and without McCullar, Marcus Adams is the only one they have.

Now, the real answer is probably "whoever Self would otherwise be recruiting hard right now (e.g. Kaluma)".
(mine wasn't really a serious answer....just a poke at the previous 0 percent comments)

*my serious answer is that I think it'll be timberlake.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I guess my biggest issue with losing minutes is lack of effort to keep minutes. Practice. I am talking about practice.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:40 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:39 am Couldn’t have done much better in the portal than this
I also think it would be naive NOT to think that McCullar is probably a solid reference case for how NIL means that college ball can now compete with sub-NBA pro ball.

NIL cash, very much plus all of the other cool things that come with college ball over Tulsa or Turkey, means that college ball can, does and will keep guys who would otherwise be playing in Tulsa or Turkey.
Yea, I too think of this as an NIL success story.

Unless he was gonna get drafted, it’s nice that college is the 2nd best option for a dood like Mc
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 66111.html
HERE’S ONE TAKE FROM AN NBA FRONT OFFICE REP

NBA employees are not allowed to comment publicly on current college players. An NBA front office official did offer The Star his anonymous take on McCullar’s return: “I think it was a good decision to return to Kansas. I think his stock will go up (in a super-senior season). I really like him.”

Asked about the potential of McCullar receiving a significant amount of money in NIL for his super-senior season, the NBA representative said: “That’s probably the main reason. If he would have gotten a bigger buzz by the NBA (before and after the Combine) I think he would have stayed in the draft.”
It just seems fairly obvious: NIL keeps kids who should stay in school, in school.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Having the flexibility of a guy like mccullar that can play 2-4 is going to eat into everyone's potential minutes. Once he announced he's coming back, that's 35 less minutes to go around

The battle for minutes and just how big of a role they get is going to be that much tougher
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

In games that matter Dajuan, mccullar, kj, and hunter are all going play 30+/35+. Thats our core.

That leaves about 60-80 minute for everyone else
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess would be something like:

Dajuan 34.
McCullar 31.
KJ 31.
Hunter 29.

Timberlake 21.
Elmarko 17.
Arterio 14.
Marcus Adams 11.
Chris Johnson 7.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:37 am My guess would be something like:

Dajuan 34.
McCullar 31.
KJ 31.
Hunter 29.

Timberlake 21.
Elmarko 17.
Arterio 14.
Marcus Adams 11.
Chris Johnson 7.
Yeah that's pretty close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I potentially see an outside path for McDowell to get some minutes. Hes athletic and can shoot. If he can play a role, the back up 3 spot has minutes up for grabs. All he needs to do is guard, take care or the ball, and hit shots. Shooting is really important these days

Hes the least heralded recruit of the freshman, but that doesn't always mean anything
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

McCullar's not going to go 4-7 from 3 every night.

But he's an AA if he's hovering around the 40% mark.

It's not that I think any less of Och - far from it - but it's clear we're now doing with wings what we've done previously with low-profile bigs (twins and Thomas Robinson) and low-profile guards (Tyshawn, Frank, Devonte).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Hot take: is mccullar the best player on the team? Just named national player of the week last week
Back to back triple doubles which hadn't been done by ANY college player in over a decade and was kind of our only bright spot in that Marquette game
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0NDAvug2jN ... QzNmJjMA==
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd prefer if it was McCullar but I don't know how, at this point, you don't choose Dickinson.
21.2 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 66% FG, 66% 3FG.
That's a bit ridiculous.

And yea, he gets beat on perimeter defense, and has issues with help defense from what i've seen, but generally has also held his ground against posts who try to back into him or get past him, and has threatened shots from penetrating guards after leaving his man.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:40 pm I'd prefer if it was McCullar but I don't know how, at this point, you don't choose Dickinson.
21.2 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 66% FG, 66% 3FG.
That's a bit ridiculous.

And yea, he gets beat on perimeter defense, and has issues with help defense from what i've seen, but generally has also held his ground against posts who try to back into him or get past him, and has threatened shots from penetrating guards after leaving his man.
Yes dickinson is the obvious choice, dickinson is ridiculously good on offense.

What about the other side of the court?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

21.2 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 66% FG, 66% 3FG is POY shit.

But don’t look now.

And for another thread anyway
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

More SPG for Dickin$on.
More DRPG.
Same BPG.

Yea, McCullar is definitely the better on man defender but you can’t discount 10 plus defensive rebounds a game.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:08 pm Hot take: is mccullar the best player on the team? Just named national player of the week last week
Back to back triple doubles which hadn't been done by ANY college player in over a decade and was kind of our only bright spot in that Marquette game
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0NDAvug2jN ... QzNmJjMA==
My hot take of mccullar being the best player of this team is looking better every week. He's dominant on both sides of the ball. The dude had 4 fouls with 8 minutes left, self left him in and he delivered
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Yo, you also said there was no way McCullar was coming back this year...