COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am And my use of "unphased" was accurate. I said the population has been unphased. That is referring to the number of people on the planet. The global population has actually continued to rise throughout this pandemic. Approaching 8 billion. Covid is not wiping out humanity. Not even close. Barely phasing us. Be realistic
That's the wrong metric.

We're talking about the quality of life among the people who already are here. Population went up because people keep reproducing. No one was concerned about the global population, they wanted another 10 years with grandma, they wanted people to not die alone in a hospital on a ventilator.

The metric that matters, is life expectancy, which in this country dropped by 1.13 years because of Covid19. Which, is a huge drop when you consider that the majority of people still haven't even contracted the virus and it is more lethal to the elderly than the young.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:11 am I'm guessing randy thinks:
A. the olds were gonna die anyways
B. the 'weak' die preventing them from breeding other 'weak' versions of themselves
A is not true as evidenced by the drop in life expectancy.
B is not true because they overwhelming majority, >95%, were passed the age of reproduction. If they were going to have offspring they already would have done so. Same reason Huntington's disease and male pattern baldness are still present in out population.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This Is How It’s Supposed To Work

https://defector.com/this-is-how-its-supposed-to-work/
Wiggins applied for a religious exemption, which was denied, and that has brought us to this point: Wiggins told reporters yesterday that he has finally, reluctantly, been vaccinated.

“The only options were to get vaccinated or not play in the NBA,” Wiggins said, before going on a bit of a rant about what an injustice all of this is:

“They didn’t make the rule, but I guess to do certain stuff, to work, I guess you don’t own your body. That’s what it comes down to. If you want to work in society today, then I guess they made the rules of what goes in your body and what you do. Hopefully, there’s a lot of people out there that are stronger than me and keep fighting, stand for what they believe, and hopefully, it works out for them.”

Once you get past Wiggins whining about whether or not he “owns his own body,” what you have here is an example of good policy in action. Yes, there are certain rules that you have to follow in order to live and work in society, and the job of defining what those rules are falls onto our political systems, which ostensibly act for the common good. The government of California decided to institute a vaccine mandate for the same reason there are speed limits on the highway—because a problem that requires widespread, collective action in order to solve can be most effectively addressed through political will, not individual choices.

You can even feel some sympathy for Wiggins here, if you want to. It does indeed suck to feel like you have no choice but to do something you really don’t want to do in order to maintain your livelihood and access to all that society has to offer, but someone in his position eventually deciding to buck up and take their (in this case literal) medicine—a decision that sacrifices a small, symbolic measure of personal freedom in favor of providing meaningful freedom and safety to all those around him—is the ideal outcome. Nobody who wants this pandemic to end needs to spend any more time trying to convince holdouts of the virtues of the vaccine than they would trying to convince someone that it is actually fun to drive slow instead of fast. We just need more people to become vaccinated, and Wiggins, bless him, just provided a shining example of how that goal can be accomplished.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Curious....how do they actually "know" Wiggins got vaccinated? Nothing more than showing a paper card that is probably almost impossible to verify? That's all I have to prove I am vaccinated....I suppose I could request the records from the national guard who administered my vaccine? But someone else can't request those records I don't think. Just an interesting thing to think about moving forward.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am And my use of "unphased" was accurate. I said the population has been unphased. That is referring to the number of people on the planet. The global population has actually continued to rise throughout this pandemic. Approaching 8 billion. Covid is not wiping out humanity. Not even close. Barely phasing us. Be realistic
That's the wrong metric.

We're talking about the quality of life among the people who already are here. Population went up because people keep reproducing. No one was concerned about the global population, they wanted another 10 years with grandma, they wanted people to not die alone in a hospital on a ventilator.

The metric that matters, is life expectancy, which in this country dropped by 1.13 years because of Covid19. Which, is a huge drop when you consider that the majority of people still haven't even contracted the virus and it is more lethal to the elderly than the young.
Which metric matters is an opinion. The quality of life for everyone has dropped the past few years because of all the stress and changes we made ourselves. Was it right for the quality of life for 100% of people to change, to try to extend the lives of the 1% who are in the "dying phase" of life anyways?

Debatable
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And the only metric that matters to the politicians is whatever they can use to get the biggest reaction. Whatever they think will manipulate the most citizens into submitting. They want to use this to gain as much control over as many aspects of our lives as they can. Its working
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It's really not that interesting. It's no different than how everyone else who has to prove their vaccination status. They aren't going to be calling up the vaccination location of every fan and confirming the lot number of their vaccine listed on their card was actually from that location. Will it result in a few people successfully getting around the mandate by generating a passable vaccination card? That's all but guaranteed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:31 am And the only metric that matters to the politicians is whatever they can use to get the biggest reaction. Whatever they think will manipulate the most citizens into submitting. They want to use this to gain as much control over as many aspects of our lives as they can. Its working
Please provide a list of all the different things you think these vaccination mandates give the government "control of".
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:33 am It's really not that interesting. It's no different than how everyone else who has to prove their vaccination status. They aren't going to be calling up the vaccination location of every fan and confirming the lot number of their vaccine listed on their card was actually from that location. Will it result in a few people successfully getting around the mandate by generating a passable vaccination card? That's all but guaranteed.
Which is kind of my point....wiggins had a lot of money to lose and a quick change in attitude....makes me wonder if he actually got vaccinated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s the thing - if this was something that could more likely be perceived as a power grab or imposition of authority, that’d be one thing.

But it’s just quite the stretch to think vaccine mandates are about anything more than a good faith attempt to restore and maintain some standard of public health.

I think it’s cuz the randys perceive being asked to do anything at all as authoritarian.

Fun fact: stop signs are only for fascists. From now on, Randy, just yell BUT MAH RIGHTS and roll right through that bitch!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:40 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:33 am It's really not that interesting. It's no different than how everyone else who has to prove their vaccination status. They aren't going to be calling up the vaccination location of every fan and confirming the lot number of their vaccine listed on their card was actually from that location. Will it result in a few people successfully getting around the mandate by generating a passable vaccination card? That's all but guaranteed.
Which is kind of my point....wiggins had a lot of money to lose and a quick change in attitude....makes me wonder if he actually got vaccinated.
Or, perhaps his change in attitude was prompted by the fact he realized he otherwise had a lot of money to loose?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:45 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:40 am
Or, perhaps his change in attitude was prompted by the fact he realized he otherwise had a lot of money to loose?
Perhaps. That is probably the most likely explanation.

But he knew that weeks ago when he started this drama for himself...so makes me wonder what changed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe yesterday he took like a 6 hour break from doing his own vaccine research
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:28 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am
That's the wrong metric.

Which metric matters is an opinion. The quality of life for everyone has dropped the past few years because of all the stress and changes we made ourselves. Was it right for the quality of life for 100% of people to change, to try to extend the lives of the 1% who are in the "dying phase" of life anyways?

Debatable
If everyone gets vaccinated we get back to normal more quickly. Anti-vaxxers are only prolonging those measures.

Fact.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:43 am That’s the thing - if this was something that could more likely be perceived as a power grab or imposition of authority, that’d be one thing.

But it’s just quite the stretch to think vaccine mandates are about anything more than a good faith attempt to restore and maintain some standard of public health.

I think it’s cuz the randys perceive being asked to do anything at all as authoritarian.

Fun fact: stop signs are only for fascists. From now on, Randy, just yell BUT MAH RIGHTS and roll right through that bitch!
Can you imagine if randy had to evacuate for a natural disaster? "But, Living through a hurricane is good for our species!" "Volcano eruptions make our immune systems stronger!"

He's gonna lose his fucking mind when he finds out you need a license to go fishing. Just another power grab by the politicians.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

75% ish have been vaxed? Correct?

Sorry not sorry to the remaining 25%...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:43 am That’s the thing - if this was something that could more likely be perceived as a power grab or imposition of authority, that’d be one thing.

Can you imagine if randy had to evacuate for a natural disaster? "But, Living through a hurricane is good for our species!" "Volcano eruptions make our immune systems stronger!"

He's gonna lose his fucking mind when he finds out you need a license to go fishing. Just another power grab by the politicians.
Randy evacuate? Hell, he's gonna die someday anyway.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am The global population has actually continued to rise throughout this pandemic. Approaching 8 billion.
So, fucking IS still in style?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Overlander wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am The global population has actually continued to rise throughout this pandemic. Approaching 8 billion.
So, fucking IS still in style?
I guess the vaccines didn't make us infertile after all?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm even magnetized from it.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the vaccine is not exactly delivering on what they promised us way back at the beginning. that we know for sure. they promised us x, we got y.