Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:42 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:47 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:43 pm

Without keeping tabs on what constitutes a “promise,” he’s far more pro-oil, pro-cop, pro-do nothing of substance about abortion, even when dems were in control, while the gop gutted abortion rights anyway

Among other things…
I'm sorry, this is gibberish.

If MICH (or anyone else) wants to talk about "failed promises", let's talk about them. Which starts with identifying them.

Because what this thread is about is the 2024 election. At the moment, the choice appears to be Biden vs. Trump. Not Biden vs. [Perfect Hypothetical Candidate].
I'm sorry, but how is it gibberish?

I DID identify three different issues that I think qualify as "failed promises." I think he's overpromised and underdelivered on climate action, criminal justice, and abortion rights.

so do you really wanna talk about them, or just knee-jerk ignore them as gibberish?

but, yea, 2024 is shaping up to be yet another lesser-of-two-evils, ain't it. It's less about actually picking a candidate whose platform you believe in, and more about holding yer nose and picking a side and cheering it on like some sports team fandom. Two party politics is allsome.
I guess I just don’t see sweeping issues the same way as I do specific promises. And the details matter.

For example, you take issue with what Biden has done on the right ti choose front.

Well, what’s he supposed to do? He never had the votes to codify legislation. He has taken significant executive action to protect the levers of federal government from the hands of the MAGAs, but he only can (and only should!) go so far unilaterally.

This is why, when you say there are broken promises, let’s name them and unpack them. Do I expect his record to be perfect? I don’t. But nor do I think he’s been all style and no substance.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

President Biden: Climate champion or fossil fuel friend?

As a candidate, Joe Biden ran on a climate-focused platform, promising a transition to a clean, carbon-neutral economy by 2050. But since taking office, the U.S. has doubled down on oil and gas production. Is President Biden being overly friendly to the fossil fuel industry? What gives?

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/28/11728463 ... uel-friend

Climate bill’s unlikely beneficiary: US oil and gas industry

While the Inflation Reduction Act concentrates on clean energy incentives that could drastically reduce overall U.S. emissions, it also buoys oil and gas interests by mandating leasing of vast areas of public lands and off the nation’s coasts. And it locks renewables and fossil fuels together: If the Biden administration wants solar and wind on public lands, it must offer new oil and gas leases first.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-techno ... b6593673b3

"I promise you there will be a national commission on policing out of the White House where I’ll bring everyone to the table, including police chiefs, including civil rights activists, including the NAACP, including the African, the Latino community. We’re going to sit down there and we’re going to work it out."

BIDEN PROMISE TRACKER

Stalled

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... uling=true

Former Vice President Joe Biden pledged his support for legal abortion on Monday evening, promising to make Roe v. Wade "the law of the land" if he's elected president. But abortion-rights supporters say a promise to protect Roe isn't enough to ensure access to the procedure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-roe- ... upporters/

...and, I know I know. There's gotta be bipartisan support and blah blah blah. But, doesn't it just get old when dems keep promising to follow through on popular initiatives and don't, or fail to; while pubs somehow manage to skull fuck through some of the most unpopular shit anyway?

As for Biden specifically, I just think he talks out of both sides of his mouth even more than your average politician.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:23 pm Obama, Biden and Trump ran on those as campaign promises. The first two did something about their promises, although the Republicans can’t allow people to benefit, so they had the crooks on the SCOTUS overturn the loan forgiveness. As for The Great Southern Border Wall………..Bannon fleeced the rubes and Trump pardoned him, preventing him from becoming someone’s prison spouse.
Thanks.

I guess my concern is, we seem to be moving further and further right, regardless of whether pubs or dems are in power.

The “ratchet effect,” as I’ve heard it described.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:34 am President Biden: Climate champion or fossil fuel friend?

As a candidate, Joe Biden ran on a climate-focused platform, promising a transition to a clean, carbon-neutral economy by 2050. But since taking office, the U.S. has doubled down on oil and gas production. Is President Biden being overly friendly to the fossil fuel industry? What gives?

Climate bill’s unlikely beneficiary: US oil and gas industry

While the Inflation Reduction Act concentrates on clean energy incentives that could drastically reduce overall U.S. emissions, it also buoys oil and gas interests by mandating leasing of vast areas of public lands and off the nation’s coasts. And it locks renewables and fossil fuels together: If the Biden administration wants solar and wind on public lands, it must offer new oil and gas leases first.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-techno ... b6593673b3

"I promise you there will be a national commission on policing out of the White House where I’ll bring everyone to the table, including police chiefs, including civil rights activists, including the NAACP, including the African, the Latino community. We’re going to sit down there and we’re going to work it out."

BIDEN PROMISE TRACKER

Stalled

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... uling=true

Former Vice President Joe Biden pledged his support for legal abortion on Monday evening, promising to make Roe v. Wade "the law of the land" if he's elected president. But abortion-rights supporters say a promise to protect Roe isn't enough to ensure access to the procedure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-roe- ... upporters/

...and, I know I know. There's gotta be bipartisan support and blah blah blah. But, doesn't it just get old when dems keep promising to follow through on popular initiatives and don't, or fail to; while pubs somehow manage to skull fuck through some of the most unpopular shit anyway?

As for Biden specifically, I just think he talks out of both sides of his mouth even more than your average politician.
https://youtu.be/fXMCoIeSaYw
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

This is what is called "compromise" where both sides gain something even if neither gets everything they want. It's how things actually get done instead of this all or nothing bullshit that the noisiest ends of the spectrum feel is the only acceptable solution.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:27 am This is what is called "compromise" where both sides gain something even if neither gets everything they want. It's how things actually get done instead of this all or nothing bullshit that the noisiest ends of the spectrum feel is the only acceptable solution.
Not only that, but if Biden was less measured, and more empowering of the far left wing of the party, then I think the White House would be a toss-up in 2024. And nothing suggests any potential R president would be anything less than a maximalist authoritarian.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:51 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:27 am This is what is called "compromise" where both sides gain something even if neither gets everything they want. It's how things actually get done instead of this all or nothing bullshit that the noisiest ends of the spectrum feel is the only acceptable solution.
Not only that, but if Biden was less measured, and more empowering of the far left wing of the party, then I think the White House would be a toss-up in 2024. And nothing suggests any potential R president would be anything less than a maximalist authoritarian.
Agreed. Big Oil is simply too large of a player in the game to pretend like anyone can just eliminate them from the process. Any attempt to do so would have drastic backlash. Hard core climate groups want Big Oil ended. Their checklists for progress use only the words "STOP" and "END" as in relates to Big Oil. "End new oil and gas leasing and reject coal lease renewals on federal land" etc...

https://earthjustice.org/article/biden- ... -scorecard

They also failed to list the following:

"Federal agencies have already acquired 13,000 light- and medium-duty zero emission vehicles (ZEVs) in FY23—about four times the number of ZEVs acquired in FY22. President Biden’s Federal Sustainability Plan requires federal agencies to transition the largest fleet in the world to all electric by acquiring 100 percent light-duty ZEVs annually by 2027 and acquiring 100 percent medium- and heavy-duty ZEVs annually by 2035. "

There are a number of other changes that add up to some not-insignificant progress overall:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... 0by%202035.

Overall, Biden is as even they admit, making "some progress". Can it be more? Yes. Is it "no progress" or "done nothing"? No.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What “far left wing of the party?”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:35 am
The AOCs, Presslys, etc. Bernie.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

But, Biden "promised":

House sends two resolutions overturning endangered species rules to Biden’s desk

The House on Thursday voted to overturn two Biden administration Endangered Species Act (ESA) rules, sending the resolution to the president, who has vowed to veto them.

...The Congressional Review Act allows a simple majority of both chambers of Congress to vote to overturn executive rulemaking. The Republicans’ House majority has frequently used the law to target the Biden administration’s energy and environment regulations, previously voting down a pause on solar tariffs imposed by the Biden administration and a rule on truck efficiency.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:35 am

The AOCs, Presslys, etc. Bernie.
I guess they count.

But that’s less a testament to their own lefty ideology, and more a testament to the fact there is no real left wing of the party.

AOC Is Just a Regular Old Democrat Now

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/07 ... t-now.html
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

…and wouldn’t it be a mark in Biden’s favor if he’s drawn the far left wing of the party toward the center?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Allowing the Perfect to be the enemy of the Good.

Ralph Nader ran as the Green Party candidate in 2000 and got > 97,000 votes in Florida.

Al Gore lost Florida by 537 votes.

Does anyone think Gore would have invaded Iraq under false pretenses, with all the sequelae?

In 2016, a similar case can be made for Clinton losing to Trump:

How third-party votes sunk Clinton, what they mean for Trump. Libertarians and Greens may try to convince you that higher turnout reflects growing support for their parties. It doesn’t

How Gary Johnson and Jill Stein helped elect Donald Trump
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Jill Stein was also a Putin plant.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Other than the fact that I think he's wrong about most things, I've never understood the attraction to Tim Scott, but, props to him:

https://twitter.com/covie_93/status/168 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Don't "like" Christie either, but "props" to him, too:

https://twitter.com/DownStrong/status/1 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:10 am Other than the fact that I think he's wrong about most things, I've never understood the attraction to Tim Scott, but, props to him:

https://twitter.com/covie_93/status/168 ... wsrc%5Etfw
took him long enough
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Love me some Eric Swalwell:

https://twitter.com/OccupyDemocrats/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw

BREAKING: Democratic Congressman Eric Swalwell gets into a volcanic, profanity-riddled fight with Speaker Kevin McCarthy — and the details are just too juicy to pass up.

Buckle up, because this showdown was even more explosive than the Lauren Boebert VS. Marjorie Taylor Greene fight...

According to a new report, on June 21st, the day Republicans voted on their sham censure of Representative Adam Schiff, Democrats stood up on the House floor to yell "Shame!"

Swalwell was standing near the Speaker's podium and let loose on McCarthy—

"This is pathetic. You’re weak. You're a weak man," Swalwell said to him, giving voice to the opinion that most Americans share of McCarthy.

McCarthy grew so visibly upset that he had a "vein popping out of his forehead" and he stared down Swalwell for "about 10 seconds before walking away."

Things heated back up the next day.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the Capitol for a joint address to Congress. Right before he stepped up to the Speaker's podium, McCarthy spotted Swallwell and confronted him—

"If you ever say something like that to me again, I’m gonna kick the shit out of you," McCarthy said to Swalwell.

The two men got up "in each other's faces" so that they were "basically nose-to-nose" and Swalwell said "Are we really gonna do this?"

The two argued back and forth until finally McCarthy puffed up his chest and threatened physical violence again—

"Call me a pussy again, and I’ll kick your ass," said McCarthy.

Swallwell, never afraid to stand up to fascist bullies, looked him dead in the eye and clearly enunciated his response: "You. Are. A. Pussy."

The two men stared each other down until McCarthy caved like a coward and stepped aside to let Swalwell pass.

Yet again, we see that McCarthy is a craven, yellow-bellied, spineless, cowardly jellyfish masquerading as a man. He's scared to stand up to Donald Trump and he's not even a tenth of the man that Eric Swalwell is.
Anand Giridharadas