The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023 ... on-volcano

spent some time on Mayon with my wife several years ago
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo

If you were gonna get a cheap room in western ks Friday night, where would you stay?

Along the 70 corridor, just to break up the drive.

And is there benefit to picking/reserving ahead of time, or should I just drive til I’m tired then stop
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

for some reason, Goodland has more often than not ended up being my “choice”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Goodland, Colby, WaKeeny or Hays. And it's summertime travel time, so prices might be higher last minute as things potentially fill up? I dunno for sure though.

A stop in Salina @ Cozy Inn is always good for the interior fragance of your vehicle.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

cool, thanks you guys.

I've stayed in Colby and Hays.

Leaning Colby, cuz it's the most halfway-ish, plus there's a Starbucks there. And while I'm not a huge fan otherwise, I'd at least rather be able to expect a serviceable Americano than roll the dice on truckstop coffee.

Might try Goodland, just for something new, and cuz it would be less driving at night (and prob past my bedtime), and more driving during the day with a good caffeine buzz. And, worst case, if the Goodland coffee sucks, the Colby Starbucks is still only like another 45 minutes either way
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I drive this route about once month in both directions. My preference is Colby. Motel rooms seem to be cleaner. There is a place to eat that is not fast food in City Limits Grill and Twisters is pretty good. And there is now a local coffee place called Mokas.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Ousie…wth?

lower your carbon footprint ;)

https://koa.com/campgrounds/goodland/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm guessing the KOA is all booked up for Friday nights in July and August by now.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

even in Goodland?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

The land is good there.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Ous: travel with a portable coffee maker. You can plug it into the inverter, use bottled water and make your own. I actually like the Nespresso for that. Easy traveling pods. UHT Milk. Cooler. Frother.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i may get chastised for this, but my time in the Philippines made me a fan of a particular variety of instant, 3-in-1 coffee…San Mig

we try to always keep some on-hand
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:10 pm Ous: travel with a portable coffee maker. You can plug it into the inverter, use bottled water and make your own. I actually like the Nespresso for that. Easy traveling pods. UHT Milk. Cooler. Frother.
Right on. Yea, I’ve done that before. I have a little camp stove and a pour-over filter. Makes for above average coffee wherever you are
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One of the greatest gifts you can give a young adult you love is a forced appreciation (or at least tolerance) of black coffee. Don't put the young adult you love in the position of being the needy sore-thumb in the meeting.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

lol the funniest thing about any of this is mr change the world, save the fraser Q......worried about where he can get starbucks....fuckin A.

truck stop coffee kicks the shit out of the sugar water they serve for $7 at starbucks.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:06 pm One of the greatest gifts you can give a young adult you love is a forced appreciation (or at least tolerance) of black coffee. Don't put the young adult you love in the position of being the needy sore-thumb in the meeting.
black coffee is the only way.
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I usually bring my own coffee to meetings. Yeah, I'm a snob.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:46 pm lol the funniest thing about any of this is mr change the world, save the fraser Q......worried about where he can get starbucks....fuckin A.

truck stop coffee kicks the shit out of the sugar water they serve for $7 at starbucks.
like I said, not a huge fan otherwise. Colby, KS is prob the only Starbucks I DO go to.

I just been on enough road trips to wanna avoid the rest stop coffee that can too often be weak as fuck and/or burnt to shit.

Besides, the Colby Starbucks has a certain nostalgia. making the drive across western KS a few years back, I saw a tornado. Trying to fully process what I just witnessed, I then stopped in Colby, walked into the Starbucks, and - I shit you not - "Riders On The Storm" by The Doors comes on the moment I walked thru...uh, the doors.

...oh, fuck it. I know you're just trying to go illy on me again, so let's scrap all that and just go with this response instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFHT_awYcKo&t=11s
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:06 pm One of the greatest gifts you can give a young adult you love is a forced appreciation (or at least tolerance) of black coffee. Don't put the young adult you love in the position of being the needy sore-thumb in the meeting.
black coffee is the only way.
Absolutely.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Starbucks is actually pretty good coffee if you just order the coffee.
I can’t knock ‘em for their Pikes/House blend. You can drink it black.
Just all the other shit that has been added to the menu bc people love sugar I can’t defend.

Dunkin’ on the other hand is bad enough you have to sugar it up but even if you ask for one sugar they put in a cup.

I also agree with ous that I’ve had a lot shitty rest stop coffee.