March Madness 23

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: March Madness 23

Post by randylahey »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 am I don't get it those who do not enjoy it. The basketball on my tv has been close games, super skilled team play, playing all out. I don't care about your brackets and bets. This is good entertainment. Multiple interviews coming up lately saying they are playing for the love of the game.
Yeah I dont understand it either. Been a tourney where anyone can beat anyone. The basketball purists have loved it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:56 am it's all fun and games until you get a ff consisting of: fau, sdsu, uconn and miami

thanks transfer portal and nil.
Whats your logic here
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

If we're not in it, it's kinda cool that a bunch of 1st timers are in. No dook, no unc, no uk.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UConn being in it and likely a good shot at winning it is really annoying.

They would go ahead of us in the count.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:54 pm
DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:52 am I don't get it those who do not enjoy it. The basketball on my tv has been close games, super skilled team play, playing all out. I don't care about your brackets and bets. This is good entertainment. Multiple interviews coming up lately saying they are playing for the love of the game.
Yeah I dont understand it either. Been a tourney where anyone can beat anyone. The basketball purists have loved it
Depends on what "purist" means. I would think that a particular kind of "purist" does not like that the so-called championship doesn't do a good job at all of identifying the best team.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm UConn being in it and likely a good shot at winning it is really annoying.

And this is the folly of using tournament titles as a proxy for greatness, right? Michigan State and San Francisco both have two titles; are they equal?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm UConn being in it and likely a good shot at winning it is really annoying.

And this is the folly of using tournament titles as a proxy for greatness, right? Michigan State and San Francisco both have two titles; are they equal?
Obviously not, but to the casual fan who Wikipedias for their CBB knowledge, it will suck to deal with.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:47 pm
Depends on what "purist" means. I would think that a particular kind of "purist" does not like that the so-called championship doesn't do a good job at all of identifying the best team.
Were you mad about it last year? Cause KU sure as hell was not the best team last season
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm

Were you mad about it last year? Cause KU sure as hell was not the best team last season
I'm not "mad" about it now. It's part of the deal with following this sport. It's like a macro version of ending the World Cup with PKs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Or, even more simply, if the NBA playoffs were single game elimination.

Teams in 2000:

Only 7 possible champs that were champs: 2000 Lakers, 2002 Lakers, 2008 Celtics, 2010 Lakers, 2014 Spurs, 2015 Warriors, 2017 Warriors.

And for Gutter's Bools:

91 Bulls - nope. Loose in the championship.
92 Bulls - nope. Loose in the e8.
93 Bulls - yes!
96 Bulls - yes!
97 Bulls - yes!
98 Bulls - no! Loose in the championship.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is all about match ups. I haven't liked the quality of the games this year. The 50 foul disqualifier still chafes.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm

Overall, who was better? Gonzaga? Arizona?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Perhaps both those teams.
Houston too ( I know they were a 5 seed ).
Hell Nova if they hadn't lost their best/2nd best player.

But I was much more confident last season in being a top 5 team - like a legit contender - than this.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Perhaps both those teams.
Houston too.

But I was much more confident last season in being a top 5 team - like a legit contender - than this.
I agree. I can honestly say, KU was ARGUABLY the best team in college basketball last season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Houston too.

It’s definitely the case that you’d get a lot truer of a champion if you started to do three game series from/after the Sweet 16 (or whatever).

(REALLY - if you were really interested in having a truer champion, but didn’t want to go to series for the whole tournament, you’d actually get the most bang for your buck out of making the Round of 64 a best of three).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Solution that both earns MORE MONEY BABY MORE TEAMS MORE MONEY!!!! and maybe better determines champion.

Give me 16 teams on bye.
64 teams play single elimination weekend. Th, F, Sa, Sun.
16 teams advance from that and are reseeded.

Weekend 2 starting Wednesday, best of 3 to get to S16.

Weekend 3 starting Wednesday, best of 3 to get to e8.

Weekend 4 starting Wednesday, best of 3 to get to final four.

Weekend 5 Final Four back to single elimination.

You still get your madness in that first weekend. Great teams are rewarded a chance to not get knocked out after one bad game and have a bye.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

hoopla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm
If you were to invent things from scratch, you might do this tournament over the holidays, and then a much more focused (8-16 teams, series of at least three games) championship at the end of the season.

The tournament is great fun, but it doesn't do a very good job of identifying the best team in the sport.
thank you! maybe the winner gets a qualification into the end of season championship round?
You all know that football is about to occupy a solid month of playoffs. And how are smaller schools going to represented in this early season tournament? I get the idea, and understand this tournament doesn’t necessarily lead to the best teams playing at the end….but that’s what makes it awesome.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yuck dub. I thin’ you were joking, but this sounds like the MLS format from a bit ago. Icky.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
Houston too.

I agree. I can honestly say, KU was ARGUABLY the best team in college basketball last season.
I dont even think KU was the best team in their own conference this season
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:00 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:52 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm

If you were to invent things from scratch, you might do this tournament over the holidays, and then a much more focused (8-16 teams, series of at least three games) championship at the end of the season.

The tournament is great fun, but it doesn't do a very good job of identifying the best team in the sport.
I don't think it's designed to do that. Because there are so many teams from so many different conferences (with such radically different schedule strengths) all you can do is create a tourney weighted via seedings to try to give props to those who "accomplished" more in the season and let them fight it out for the title. It's the most exciting tourney in sports in my opinion because it isn't about crowning the best. It's all about giving teams a chance to prove who is best equipped to handle such a wildly unpredictable tourney right now.
Oh I absolutely agree. All I'm saying is that there might actually be a place for BOTH the madness, AND the crowning of a more-true champion.
Games played in November/December should absolutely not determine whether or not you are eligible to play in the end of year tourney. I don't support that at all.