George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:32 pm Oh lord. Here we go.

#triggered

(This is a nice short and sweet summary of the history of the democratic party....) https://www.history.com/topics/us-polit ... atic-party
You realize that plucking the obscure fact that Democrats were to blame out of Ousdahl's link insinuates that the Democratic party hasn't changed and they're racist? And that's the reason everyone is reacting, rationally, this way toward you in response?
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Mjl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:12 pm

#triggered

(This is a nice short and sweet summary of the history of the democratic party....) https://www.history.com/topics/us-polit ... atic-party
You realize that plucking the obscure fact that Democrats were to blame out of Ousdahl's link insinuates that the Democratic party hasn't changed and they're racist? And that's the reason everyone is reacting, rationally, this way toward you in response?
You do realize that i was just being a smart ass, right?

My lord.

There are racist people that identify themselves as Republicans, and there are racist people that identify themselves as Democrats. My grandpa was a life long democrat and was racist as shit. The fact that nowadays it is probably true that more identify themselves as Republicans doesn't excuse the racists Democrats....and it doesn't excuse some of the problematic history with racism of the democratic party.

Systemic racism doesn't exist becuase of 1 party. It doesn't only exist in red states. It exists becuase neither party has dismantled it. Both have had chances.

Thankfully it seems like we are finally on the cusp of making some significant changes that hopefully begin to undo the systemic racism that exists in our country today.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My grandpa was a lifelong Democrat too and racist as shit too, too!

Was your grandpa around to vote in 2008?

That was the last presidential election in which mine voted, which was also coincidentally the first and only vote he ever cast for a republican.

Now, John McCain was a respectable candidate and all, but that’s not why my grandpa voted for him. In fact, though he’d otherwise being a life long blue collar union member democrat, grandpa wasn’t shy about why he voted for McCain:

cuz he didn’t want a jungle bunny in the Oval Office.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 pm My grandpa was a lifelong Democrat too and racist as shit too, too!

Was your grandpa around to vote in 2008?

That was the last presidential election in which mine voted, which was also coincidentally the first and only vote he ever cast for a republican.

Now, John McCain was a respectable candidate and all, but that’s not why my grandpa voted for him. In fact, though he’d otherwise being a life long blue collar union member democrat, grandpa wasn’t shy about why he voted for McCain:

cuz he didn’t want a jungle bunny in the Oval Office.
Yes he was around for 08 (and 12 iirc, but died shortly after). I have no idea if he voted for Obama. I am sure it was a bit of a conundrum for him.

Mean to say (maybe not really), but i am glad that generation of people are dying off. Relatively good people just raised by much different people in much different times.

Mine fought alongside POC in WW2 and wasn't like "white supremacist type racist", but definitely said some ridiculously racist shit.
Deleted User 310

This is obviously from a conservative news outlet (fwiw)....but there are some interesting words/thoughts from people worth thinking about (lil wayne not so much)...

https://www.facebook.com/newsbusters/vi ... 615461210/

I am not posting this as "my" views on the topic of race (i agree with some of it and disagree with some of it), but rather just for consumption/discussion because i found it interesting to hear from some people of color who shared some insight from their personal experiences.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My grandpa was in WW2 too, a Navy Seabee on the pacific front. Apparently he had a pet monkey on Midway Island!

(And now in hindsight, I hope that really was a monkey, and not another racial slur)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/am ... ke-gardner

in nebraska no less
This is the 311 groupie bar owner that I spoke of when it happened.

Sounds like the guys own statements to the grand jury helped make the case against him. Not surprising.

He brought a gun with him to a protest to "protect his property" and then engaged a person who was not at his property and who was not harming or intending to harm his property. Like in Kenosha, some people respond to a gun being pulled on them not by running but by trying to get the gun away from the person. I dont about you but I cannot outrun a bullet so that reaction doesn't surprise me at all.
https://www.ketv.com/article/jake-gardn ... y/34089387#

Welp, that's the end of that. The guy committed suicide on the day he was supposed to turn himself in to the police. It's a shame that he will not get to hear a jury of his peers inform him of how they felt about the decisions he made that ended with him killing someone.
Deleted User 310

why is it a shame? Sounds like he felt pretty badly about it seeing as how he committed suicide. That is not enough for you?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

This is my exact thought when you blamed the Dems.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 310

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am

This is my exact thought when you blamed the Dems.
1) I was being a smartass. Apparently only certain people are allowed to do that here?

2) It is a fact those people were murdered by the "Dems" (from that point in time). The fact a few of you seem to be taking it personally is probably evidence in how entrenched a large portion of our country is in their chosen party. It is pretty much undeniable they were murdered by dems. The fact that the parties have morphed over time is also a fact (which is why i was being a smart ass about it).
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

you don't know me
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don’t consider myself a dem, nor entrenched in the party.

I’ll give Dems some credit for at least giving lip service to some causes I support, more so than the GOP at least.

But I think the Dems are little more than the lesser of two evils.

I don’t want to have to choose between two overwhelmingly corporate parties. I want some kind of people’s party.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:50 am I don’t consider myself a dem, nor entrenched in the party.
Then you lack any self awareness
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What makes me a dem, then?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Your posting history. But based on that you're as "entrenched in the party" as is humanly possible.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Would it make you feel better to learn I’ve never voted for a dem, once, ever?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:20 am Would it make you feel better to learn I’ve never voted for a dem, once, ever?
It would make you feel better, surely. I mean look around at the lushness of Kansas in its right wing headlock. Though you benefit from having relocated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m just bummed I can’t even make an appeal for more parties and better representation without Phd reducing it back to a partisan two party matter.
Last edited by ousdahl on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:45 am why is it a shame? Sounds like he felt pretty badly about it seeing as how he committed suicide. That is not enough for you?
Because I would have rather him still be alive. I am not an "eye for an eye" kind of person. By most accounts, he's a huge fucking asshole but he's still someone's kid.

Because I would have rather him have to face the consequences of his actions, including facing the family of the person he killed. I think that is an important part of the process in our society.

And because I would rather that other people who initiate aggressive interactions with a weapon learn that when you cross a certain line, you are breaking the law and that there are consequences to that.