Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by ousdahl »

Squid ink, holy shit.

Guess I shoulda just gone with something like, “well maybe we should downplay the UN’s concerns of apartheid cuz they didn’t condemn Genghis Khan either.”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:55 pm Squid ink, holy shit.

Guess I shoulda just gone with something like, “well maybe we should downplay the UN’s concerns of apartheid cuz they didn’t condemn Genghis Khan either.”
Describe it however you want. I've also described it as putting too many things in the blender.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:40 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:24 pm I think you need to think critically…

:lol:
You know that UN you side with about war crimes Russian does it?

What do you think when that same UN says Israel’s going apartheid on Palestine?
you need to stop, seriously

i’ve not once said or alluded to any kind of support for Israeli treatment of Palestinians

in fact, i’ve intentionally made the distinction between brotherhood factions and Palestinians writ large

you can quit quoting me, as i’ve got zero interest in engaging you further

fuck off
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:24 pm I think you need to think critically…

i’ve not once said or alluded to any kind of support for Israeli treatment of Palestinians

in fact, i’ve intentionally made the distinction between brotherhood factions and Palestinians writ large

fuck off
If you keep it up he might call you a nazi and then put you on ignore.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am so sad…nbc had Richard Engel in gaza this morning marching among hamas supporters. directly behind him was a boy that couldn’t have been any older than 12 or 13, smiling and seemingly having a good time while chanting in support of hamas
I saw that, our next generation of whatever hamas becomes.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

If Q doesn't know about the UN's long history of rabid antisemitism, then he is beyond help, I'm afeared.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:13 pm If Q doesn't know about the UN's long history of rabid antisemitism, then he is beyond help, I'm afeared.
You just realized this?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

mjl2 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:31 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:13 pm If Q doesn't know about the UN's long history of rabid antisemitism, then he is beyond help, I'm afeared.
You just realized this?
No, but it was worth reiterating.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:31 pm
You just realized this?
No, but it was worth reiterating.
Indeed
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, that's concerning. Care to elaborate on the UN's long history of rabid antisemitism?

And here, I thought the worst thing they did was give Russia the time of day!

Speaking of "beyond help," is the UN's long history of rabid antisemitism worse than the Islamophobia being exhibited once again across much of the western world, including very shamelessly in this thread in real time?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:26 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am so sad…nbc had Richard Engel in gaza this morning marching among hamas supporters. directly behind him was a boy that couldn’t have been any older than 12 or 13, smiling and seemingly having a good time while chanting in support of hamas
I saw that, our next generation of whatever hamas becomes.
I'll prob get shit for this too, but...

to what degree might problems like Hamas be a chicken-and-egg sorta thing?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:05 pm

fuck off
that hurts dude. Especially cuz this isn't the first time you've said this.

But honestly, what hurts even more is, you laughing at the idea that I need to think critically.

Honestly, I think my problem is that I can't STOP thinking critically about this shit. I need to just unplug.

That's why I'm gonna use this post for what constructive value it might have:

I quit my social media feed.

It used to be a certain source of inspiration, like, "hey here's how we can actually slow down environmental collapse" and "here's how we can establish systems that counter inequalities" and "here's how we can build a better, more just, more sustainable world!", mixed in with doom-and-gloom shit like, "here's documentation of war crimes in some shithole country nobody cares about, like Syria, or Yemen, or - you guessed it! - Palestine." (for real, they/them have been fussing about this place as a humanitarian crisis for long before it was every single news headline)

But ever since this latest conflict, and Palestine suddenly coming a shithole country we can't even stop hearing about, the feed has been almost entirely documentation of war crimes, committed overwhelmingly by Israelis, against Palestinians, using weapons paid for by you and me. That shit just weighs on me. I've never seen so many mutilated children in my life!

And the thing is, I don't even know if it's true. Maybe the they/them "stand with all oppressed peoples" crowd really is just parroting Russ...I mean, Hamas propaganda, for the sake of something less noble than standing with the oppressed against injustice.

I've accepted that there's just not much I can do about it. I'm gonna take a page out of my mom's playbook, when I admitted to her that I stress out about climate change. Her advice was, "sorry honey, but have you just tried, like, NOT stressing about it?" Ohhh, why didn't I think of that!

So again, I'm just quitting that shit. If I even bother with social media again I'm gonna focus on something more wholesome, like OnlyFans.

also a certain credit to fish's "expressing a baseless opinion on the Politics sub-board of a college basketball message board," among other insights from other posters along the way. Like if I AM gonna change the world, I suppose this ain't the way.

And, once again, sorry for being so annoying.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

"My only flaw is that I'm TOO awesome!"
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and no shit, really? posting on here isn't going to accomplish anything in real life? holy light bulb moment!
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

how'd I know that post would be promptly followed up with TDub saying something douchey.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

fuck off.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:52 amfuck off.
It may be a good time for everyone to take a deep breath. This world of ours is starting a dangerous tail spin…..
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

see bro, it's posts like that that make me feel like maybe it's worth persisting.

so let's talk numbers.

one thing I've been wondering is, how many members are in Hamas? What proportion of Gazans are they?

A quick search suggests, around 25,000. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

So 25,000/2,300,000 people in Gaza, means every .0108 people in Gaza are Hamas. Does that mean the best response really should be for Israel to bomb Gaza far and wide (with a ground invasion pending?), when like 99 percent of people there are (supposedly) non-targets?

And as of a week ago, Israel reported they dropped 6000 bombs on Gaza. https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel ... qytMVO86PU
That's 6000 bombs across 140 square miles.

so 140/6000 = a bomb for every .023 square miles. Is that a reasonable response to Hamas?

And since last week, I kinda don't think they've relented.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that was a response to TDub.

cuz overlander just went POTD/POTthread/POTentire bored!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Israel has made very clear what their response would be if they were attacked.

For like, the past 50 years.

It is, unfortunately, a FAFO moment on a grand scale.