Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:47 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:37 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:59 pm
There are some of us who vote for the greater good, you know, for the country.
And there are some who vote as a manifestation of their personal grievance fixation. They will vote to "own the libs", even against their own self interests.
I'm genuinely curious what percentage of Trump voters personally, tangibly benefit from him being in the White House. Certainly there are some: business owners, real estate investors, wealthy families, etc.

But I would guess that for a majority of Trump voters - a strong majority - what they get out of the bargain really is limited to "owning the libs" and/or scratching a grievance itch.

Which is really one of the big mysteries here. For a MASSIVE swath of Trump voters - particularly in Appalachia and the deep South - their day-to-day lives simply would be tangibly, objectively better under Democratic leadership. And yet they are intractably, religiously Trump.
If I am being intellectually honest, the trump era moved my retirement date up about 2 years. Between the PPP boondoggle, the tax breaks and even the pittance in "stimulus money" doled out to the 99% (which as expected trickled up); I made bank in those years.

Many of the cult members like to point out that they got $1000 back in taxes too! But the 1% got some eye-popping benefits.

And yet, when given the chance to get 4 more years, I didn't foresee good results if he clawed his way back in. This was a windfall for sure, but in the long run destroying our country and culture was not in the interest of any good. And I don't think I was the only one voting against my own self interest for the good of the country.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Trump coerced the Fed to halt interest rate hikes. The economic correction would be shoved at Biden. Which is why his record should be celebrated.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Whatever they accuse you of doing. . .
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:48 pm Trump coerced the Fed to halt interest rate hikes. The economic correction would be shoved at Biden. Which is why his record should be celebrated.
The only thing I will celebrate about Biden is his departure. Second worst POTUS ever, and only then because Carter was spectacularly more of everything Brandon is.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:47 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:37 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:59 pm
There are some of us who vote for the greater good, you know, for the country.
And there are some who vote as a manifestation of their personal grievance fixation. They will vote to "own the libs", even against their own self interests.
I'm genuinely curious what percentage of Trump voters personally, tangibly benefit from him being in the White House. Certainly there are some: business owners, real estate investors, wealthy families, etc.

But I would guess that for a majority of Trump voters - a strong majority - what they get out of the bargain really is limited to "owning the libs" and/or scratching a grievance itch.

Which is really one of the big mysteries here. For a MASSIVE swath of Trump voters - particularly in Appalachia and the deep South - their day-to-day lives simply would be tangibly, objectively better under Democratic leadership. And yet they are intractably, religiously Trump.
GOP is just Grivance Over Platform any more.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sacrilege, but gosh, what a statesman!

DeSantis dismisses Trump 2020 claims: ‘No, of course he lost’

Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis (R) in an interview broadcast on Monday dismissed former President Trump’s repeated claims that he won the 2020 election, saying “of course” Trump lost...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol Elon flagged the boots as potentially sensitive content
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

If you all are so much smarter and morally superior, why are you so afraid?
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I said nothing about intelligence or moral superiority. The minority-rule aspirants are (Trump excepted) wickedly smart. And I believe that they are acting consistent with their own morals.

The problem is that those morals are undemocratic in nature. In that those morals are what drives them to aspire to minority rule.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The rest of jfish's post, because as I've said before, Trump gave the aggrieved white bigots permission to hate the "other", who they already held responsible for their shortcomings because they're too delicate and cowardly to take responsibility or admit it had anything to do with the choices they made in their own lives.

"I am your retribution." TFG

...So when you say he "fought for
you," you mean he validated your hate. Because he didn't do a damn thing for
you other than that.
He hates who you hate.
And sadly, that's all you think you need.
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:56 am
You still didn’t answer my question about who do you think won the 2020 election for president.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:00 am
You still didn’t answer my question about who do you think won the 2020 election for president.
I think the roulette wheel has landed lately on "well Biden technically WON, but the circumstances were engineered to make that happen."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm still mad at the libs, who you'd think would be smart enough that while they were stealing the 2020 presidential election anyway, would have stolen enough other races for the senate to make Manchin and Sinema irrelevant, and give Pelosi a majority of > 4 votes so she could go ahead and cancel Christmas and lock republicans in FEMA camps once and for all, after taking away all their guns and outlawing gas stoves.

What were they not thinking?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

2024 Republican presidential candidate, Chris Christie, weighs in on former President Trump's indictments and why he says Trump doesn't put America first but rather himself.

https://youtu.be/b0B39aByrts
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:24 am 2024 Republican presidential candidate, Chris Christie, weighs in on former President Trump's indictments and why he says Trump doesn't put America first but rather himself.

https://youtu.be/b0B39aByrts
Well of course. For all of the lies, perhaps none is more fundamental than the notion that Trump cares even one, little, teeny-tiny bit about anyone but himself.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

zsn wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:00 am
Trump, of course.