March Madness 23

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: March Madness 23

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Perhaps both those teams.
Houston too.
Hell Nova if they hadn't lost their best/2nd best player.

But I was much more confident last season in being a top 5 team - like a legit contender - than this.
I agree. I can honestly say, KU was ARGUABLY the best team in college basketball last season.
I dont even think KU was the best team in their own conference this season
They had the most conference success but I agree that they were not the "best" team. They just have far and away the best coach which is why they ended up as Big 12 champs.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm UConn being in it and likely a good shot at winning it is really annoying.

They would go ahead of us in the count.
And this is the folly of using tournament titles as a proxy for greatness, right? Michigan State and San Francisco both have two titles; are they equal?
Obviously not, but to the casual fan who Wikipedias for their CBB knowledge, it will suck to deal with.
Casuals are easy to dismiss on account of being casuals.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:00 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:52 pm

I don't think it's designed to do that. Because there are so many teams from so many different conferences (with such radically different schedule strengths) all you can do is create a tourney weighted via seedings to try to give props to those who "accomplished" more in the season and let them fight it out for the title. It's the most exciting tourney in sports in my opinion because it isn't about crowning the best. It's all about giving teams a chance to prove who is best equipped to handle such a wildly unpredictable tourney right now.
Oh I absolutely agree. All I'm saying is that there might actually be a place for BOTH the madness, AND the crowning of a more-true champion.
Games played in November/December should absolutely not determine whether or not you are eligible to play in the end of year tourney. I don't support that at all.
(It is here I will point out that the games played in November/December already have quite a lot of impact on who plays or doesn't plan in the end of year tourney.)
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:01 pm
hoopla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm

If you were to invent things from scratch, you might do this tournament over the holidays, and then a much more focused (8-16 teams, series of at least three games) championship at the end of the season.

The tournament is great fun, but it doesn't do a very good job of identifying the best team in the sport.
thank you! maybe the winner gets a qualification into the end of season championship round?
You all know that football is about to occupy a solid month of playoffs. And how are smaller schools going to represented in this early season tournament? I get the idea, and understand this tournament doesn’t necessarily lead to the best teams playing at the end….but that’s what makes it awesome.
lol, he said "schools" as if academics played a part in this...
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:27 am Well then, MJL, bricks should be expected shitting from midrange.
Oops
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Perhaps both those teams.
Houston too.
Hell Nova if they hadn't lost their best/2nd best player.

But I was much more confident last season in being a top 5 team - like a legit contender - than this.
I agree. I can honestly say, KU was ARGUABLY the best team in college basketball last season.
I dont even think KU was the best team in their own conference this season
I agree.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

hoopla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm
lol, he said "schools" as if academics played a part in this...
[/quote]

Haha. Only as getting in the way of the real goal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:01 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:00 pm

Oh I absolutely agree. All I'm saying is that there might actually be a place for BOTH the madness, AND the crowning of a more-true champion.
Games played in November/December should absolutely not determine whether or not you are eligible to play in the end of year tourney. I don't support that at all.
(It is here I will point out that the games played in November/December already have quite a lot of impact on who plays or doesn't plan in the end of year tourney.)
I see zero benefit from changing the current format. They will eventually add more teams to the field and that's it. I don't see the changes offered up here as being an improvement. It just moves games away from the timeframe where people love to watch them and into the NFL schedule where a lot of people do not care about the sport at all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it bring it back down to 64 and establishing a completely computer based system that is completely visible to seed the teams is the way to go. The tournament is the most entertaining out there.

These are just pie in the sky suggestions to try and better determine a champion because the current system does not do that well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think it's 100% fine that the tournament is such a glorious goddamn mess. But for so long as that remains the case, I'm just not going to get bent out of shape on our results, one way or the other.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That kind of take is what separates BBIQ'ers from BWW Chad's.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:14 am That kind of take is what separates BBIQ'ers from BWW Chad's.
Kind of makes me want to puke/laugh that there are people in South Florida (many of who are originally from the east coast) and their BWW Chadism is out in full force right now.
You know, the "I knew FAU and Miami were going to make it to the Final Four" people - that before the tournament started couldn't name a single player on either team.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I win about 1150 if Miami wins, about 350 if UConn wins, 25 or 50 if FAU wins. Lesgo Canes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm also sure JimWest is dusting off his thesis about the strength of the ACC compared to the B12 right about now.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

fau and miami have never been to the ff. is it your position that they are not entitled to enjoy it?

only fanbases of schools that have been there before are entitled to enjoy it?

was it ok for loyola chicago to enjoy it a few years back? or did they make you puke also.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:35 am I win about 1150 if Miami wins, about 350 if UConn wins, 25 or 50 if FAU wins. Lesgo Canes.
$ wise I have to hope Miami beats UConn. Otherwise, I really don't care who wins on Saturday and Monday.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am I'm also sure JimWest is dusting off his thesis about the strength of the ACC compared to the B12 right about now.
Fau is not an acc conference team this year and the odds of them doing something similar next year are astronomically low
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am I'm also sure JimWest is dusting off his thesis about the strength of the ACC compared to the B12 right about now.
Fau is not an acc conference team this year and the odds of them doing something similar next year are astronomically low
Neato. Now do Miami.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:14 am That kind of take is what separates BBIQ'ers from BWW Chad's.
Kind of makes me want to puke/laugh that there are people in South Florida (many of who are originally from the east coast) and their BWW Chadism is out in full force right now.
You know, the "I knew FAU and Miami were going to make it to the Final Four" people - that before the tournament started couldn't name a single player on either team.
They should be enjoying the hell out of it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:49 am fau and miami have never been to the ff. is it your position that they are not entitled to enjoy it?

only fanbases of schools that have been there before are entitled to enjoy it?

was it ok for loyola chicago to enjoy it a few years back? or did they make you puke also.
I'm assuming this was directed at me.
If so, let me help you out here.

These were my exact words - "Kind of makes me want to puke/laugh that there are people in South Florida (many of who are originally from the east coast) and their BWW Chadism is out in full force right now.
You know, the "I knew FAU and Miami were going to make it to the Final Four" people - that before the tournament started couldn't name a single player on either team".

Where ANYWHERE in my post did I say or even imply FAU and Miami FANS are not entitled to enjoy their team's success?

As far as your bringing up Loyola, no - it did not make me want to puke when their FANS were excited. I was happy and excited for them.
It's great for any (and all) school's FANS to be excited when their team makes the Final Four.
Just as the Loyola FANS were probably very excited in 1963.

My problem is with the people who pretend to be know it alls that didn't know jack shit about Miami and FAU before the tournament started and are now saying they knew those teams would make it to the Final Four.

Capeesh?