Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 310

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm You shouldn't be able to shoot someone for threatening to start a fist fight.
Not for "threatening", but the moment you throw a punch it isn't just a threat anymore. The aggressor doesn't get to dictate the terms of battle imo. You aren't required to fist fight just because they want to.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm That seems to be the same as the first dude Rittenhouse killed. Someone was coming at him, but seemingly not to kill the person.

In both cases it strikes me as a homicide (not sure if victim died in this one). You shouldn't be able to shoot someone for threatening to start a fist fight.
Well, rittenhouse unlawfully possessed his gun, I dunno about this guy. Also don’t know whether curfew applies.

And Kyle heard gunshots and spun around and shot some other dude in the back. This dude was still apparently advancing.

Also, Wisconsin doesn’t have a stand your ground law.

But yeah, I agree that the threshold should be very high for use of deadly force
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm That seems to be the same as the first dude Rittenhouse killed. Someone was coming at him, but seemingly not to kill the person.

In both cases it strikes me as a homicide (not sure if victim died in this one). You shouldn't be able to shoot someone for threatening to start a fist fight.
Well, rittenhouse unlawfully possessed his gun, I dunno about this guy. Also don’t know whether curfew applies.

And Kyle heard gunshots and spun around and shot some other dude in the back. This dude was still apparently advancing.

Also, Wisconsin doesn’t have a stand your ground law.

But yeah, I agree that the threshold should be very high for use of deadly force
Yeah, I am not as interested in these legal technicalities as much as the principal of "when is it ok to shoot someone."

IMO that threshold was not met here nor in Wisconsin. I don't see how someone can think, ethically as opposed to legally, that one of those guys should walk while the other should spend a long time in jail.
Deleted User 310

Those 2 instances are NOTHING alike.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 pm And Kyle heard gunshots and spun around and shot some other dude in the back. This dude was still apparently advancing.
You keep saying this ("shot dude in the back") for shock effect...

The Rittenhouse guy was also advancing pretty clearly in the videos i have seen and from the eye witness reports.

....and you seem to be interpreting the fact that he had 1 shot enter his "back" to mean that he wasn't facing Rittenhouse when he was initially shot.....from the video it looks like he is not shot from head on, and he is shot multiple times...from what i have read the shot that entered from his "back" was not the intitial shot, it was the shots that followed as he was falling/staggering away after the intial gunshot he took from the rifle (which until we see the autopsy is hard to speculate about).

I am with you that Rittenhouse murdered that guy because self defense isn't an excuse when you are breaking the law, but you seem to be intentionally portraying it as he walked up to some unknowing victim and shot him in the back when that is not what happened.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:07 pm Those 2 instances are NOTHING alike.
An armed guy was retreating and had someone approaching him threateningly, and shot him when he got to point blank range. How are they different?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If there was a swat team of paramilitary cops coming down the street, I wonder if they would have let the Nevada shooter just walk by and go home...
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:17 pm If there was a swat team of paramilitary cops coming down the street, I wonder if they would have let the Nevada shooter just walk by and go home...
Talk about nothing alike.

You are aware Rittenhouse was not the only person carrying around a gun openly that night correct?

And that it is entirely possible those cops had no idea someone had been shot yet?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

except for all the protesters yelling to the cops that he [rittenhouse] just shot someone
Deleted User 310

Maybe you have seen video i haven't but the recent incident appears to have occurred in a much different environment and under much different circumstances than Kenosha
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:28 pm except for all the protesters yelling to the cops that he [rittenhouse] just shot someone
You can't seriously think they could hear those handful of people from inside their vehicle with sirens blasting while driving at least 30mph or more it looked like?

All during anti police brutality protests where they were getting screamed at by hundreds or thousands of people?

Come on man! (Biden voice)
Deleted User 89

30 mph?

lol...ok
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just generally speaking, if anyone is running down the street with an assault rifle, I think any good cop should at least inquire what’s up.
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:35 pm 30 mph?

lol...ok
Thought so.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:41 pm Just generally speaking, if anyone is running down the street with an assault rifle, I think any good cop should at least inquire what’s up.
Sure. If Rittenhouse was running down the street the recent incident took place on then there is zero doubt he would have been stopped....but Rittenhouse was running down a street that was dark and filled with angry protestors...i guess you also forgot there were at least dozens if not close to 100 other "militia" type people open carrying guns? Not to mention protestors open carrying (and firing guns).

This is such an intellectually dishonest discussion.

1 shooting was in an environment that looked something like a warzone...the other in the middle of peaceful tourists (other than the angry dude that got shot) on the magnificent mile of Las Vegas in front of restaurants and shops.

Come on man!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the fact dozens of not close to 100 other “militia” type people open caring guns should prompt more scrutiny from cops, not less.

Chalk it up to the “well-regulated” part of 2A, being necessary to the security of a free state.

Cuz if cops DONT subject militias to increased scrutiny and just let them run around at large, look what happens!
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:19 pm I think the fact dozens of not close to 100 other “militia” type people open caring guns should prompt more scrutiny from cops, not less.

Chalk it up the “well-regulated” part of 2A, being necessary to the security of a free state.

Cuz if cops DONT subject militias to increased scrutiny and just let them run around at large, look what happens!
Rittenhouse was the only 1 that shot anyone. A 17 year old kid with a gun that wasn't his.

You act like the cops knew he just shot people (they didn't) and knowingly ignored him on purpose for some reason. This is so stupid. Rittenhouse is in jail now and that was a unique situation. Nobody let him get away on purpose.

Come on man!

(And fwiw the dude in Las Vegas ran and got away too.....and some reports speculate this was a drug deal gone bad)
Deleted User 89

of course

there was a black male involved, so it MUST have been a drug deal gone bad
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Sprinkle some crack on him, and let’s get outta here”
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:32 pm of course

there was a black male involved, so it MUST have been a drug deal gone bad
I think the victim is the one who told police that fwiw.