2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

While the staff said they don't want Yesufu playing on-the-ball, I think they still have to try him out there some. His value takes a big hit if he can't be the lone ballhandler.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:17 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:40 am

If by blossom you mean the staff giving up on him being a PG over the summer, then we shall see.

Pettiford might be the most underrated piece as far as importance goes. If he doesn’t develop into a reliable backup PG, that’s bad for us. Harris gets worn out and needs a break.
yea Harris gets worn out and needs a break. Part of that is that he's like 95 pounds soaking wet. And part of it is his own limitations...perhaps?

I wonder what Pettiford can bring that Harris does not. A fresh body is worth something in itself. But ideally, we can roll some lead guy out there that forces the D to adjust, rather than double down on the schemes that might have been working enough to prompt Harris to sit in the first place - namely, the sagging on our non-shooter or whatever.

(Part of what made last year's team so good by March was that our backup PG in Remy just couldn't be guarded the same way defenses guarded Dajuan)

What's the word on how much ballhandling/lead duties are expected of Kevin?

will we have more a defined option 1 and option 2 as far as lead role goes, or could we see more situation/matchup specific roles?
I'm not worried about bringing something different off the bench--our personnel is our personnel. Bobby just needs to be playable enough to rest Dajuan. Anything else is icing.

McCullar can play PG in a pinch, but I think we've see from our own Marcus Garrett and Tech last season that we'd be better off not putting an important extra duty on our do-everything defense guy.
Agreed. The whole point of having combo guard guys like Pettiford and Yesefu is that we shouldn't have to call on a guy like McCullar to do that sort of extra duty. Just have to see if Pettiford is healthy enough to get some good practice reps in prior to the season so he can give Harris some minutes off. I would expect that we can survive the 10 mpg that Harris doesn't play on average with some combo of Pettiford and Yesefu.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that might be the first I've ever heard Pettiford called a combo guard.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The reason I suggest KM as backup PG is cuz it would be:

- a potentially different lineup look to have a bigger wing type running the offense, rather than subbing one non-shooting small PG for another
- a potential option for a small non-PG like Yes to get minutes as the lone small out there, rather than having to go with some multiple small lineup.
- expanding on those last two I guess, it might allow us to play Yes if we need scoring, and/or need scoring from the small guard spot specifically

I dunno. Maybe KM isn't as prepared to play lead after all. I hardly remember watching his game at Tech, apparently. But if he can at least bring the ball up, like Jalen can too, maybe that allows for some "PG by committee" role if a Yes type is out there as the lone small.

And maybe our potential issues with scoring, and with non-shooting PGs, won't be as bad as expected. That'd be great.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

McCullar was the primary PG last season for Tech. However, that was not by roster design. Tech took a lot of personnel hits when Beard left.

I assume part of his coming here is to play in his pro position in a more open offense.

But again, I think Garrett is a warning shot here. He only played there in 2020 b/c we literally had no one else. I'd rather McCullar solely play the role he is made for, especially when what we are talking about is spell minutes for a PG that clearly has the starting position locked down.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I know Bill Self, if Pettiford sucks or gets injured again, as much as he has the option of going McCullar at the 1, he's much more likely to just play Dajuan 38+ minutes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, there is also the option of Dajuan getting the BIFM treatment. *giggles nervously*

I wonder if Garrett was really that bad at PG, or if he gets the scapegoat treatment as PG of a team that collectively sucked regardless.

and I dunno how much Garrett and KM can really be compared. They're both utility wings with PG skills, but inevitably different, and on different rosters too.

Or, to say we shouldn't play KM at point because of Marcus Garrett, feels kinda like saying JCL's numbers tanked his senior transfer year so KM's inevitably will too. Or something.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I was referring to 2020, not 2021. Garrett was backup PG in a pinch b/c we had no one else, but Devon was able to go the distance in most games. I don't think Dajuan is built that way, so we ideally need another guy. If we get to playing McCullar on the ball a lot, then something went wrong--it's not his ideal position. I think you're arguing something else.

Mason had Graham. That was the ultimate spell.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s crazy is Mason had Graham to spell but both still played like 45 minutes a night.

The ultimate spell is sophomore Sherron, who came off the bench with a proper set of fresh legs. Or for that matter, the ultimate spell is Remy.

And yea I’m concerned Dajuan isn’t built that way either. And I’m concerned Bobby’s game is similar enough to Dajuan’s that it means defenses won’t have to adjust their “sag on KU’s lead guy and overplay everybody else” schemes, and we still might feel like we’re playing 4-on-5 a lot of possessions. Maybe that’s too pessimistic.

Either way, I’m confident Self will figure out a way to win with these guys regardless.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:54 am The reason I suggest KM as backup PG is cuz it would be:

- a potentially different lineup look to have a bigger wing type running the offense, rather than subbing one non-shooting small PG for another
- a potential option for a small non-PG like Yes to get minutes as the lone small out there, rather than having to go with some multiple small lineup.
- expanding on those last two I guess, it might allow us to play Yes if we need scoring, and/or need scoring from the small guard spot specifically

I dunno. Maybe KM isn't as prepared to play lead after all. I hardly remember watching his game at Tech, apparently. But if he can at least bring the ball up, like Jalen can too, maybe that allows for some "PG by committee" role if a Yes type is out there as the lone small.

And maybe our potential issues with scoring, and with non-shooting PGs, won't be as bad as expected. That'd be great.
We have much more important things for McCullar to do out there when Harris is not out there than to be a backup PG. We don't need to overthink this and get cute as Self surely won't.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:13 am If I know Bill Self, if Pettiford sucks or gets injured again, as much as he has the option of going McCullar at the 1, he's much more likely to just play Dajuan 38+ minutes.
This.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:54 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:13 am If I know Bill Self, if Pettiford sucks or gets injured again, as much as he has the option of going McCullar at the 1, he's much more likely to just play Dajuan 38+ minutes.
This.
Well I don't like that option, either, which is what prompted the discussion. I certainly think if Pettiford gets hurt with a long prognosis, we have to seriously consider making McCullar the backup PG.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I like how we're making a point to not overload McCullar, while simultaneously preparing to expect 38+ mpg from Dajuan.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think Pettiford will be a solid back-up for Dajuan. He looked healthy and unafraid at late night.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

All this points to the fact we need yesefu to be good this year
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I see more pg in pettiford than yesefu but one of them will emerge. If not then McCullar might have to step in.

There are a couple people that want so badly for yesefu to be something he just might not be. I would love to be wrong. I think he can be a great piece in spots...I dont know that he's ever going to be a keystone piece though. I would really like to be wrong about that.
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Yesifu shined on a team with mid-level talent (i.e. Drake) but he is surrounded by elite talent at KU. I love his skill set but think his role here is to be a spark off the bench. I would be thrilled if he proved me wrong.

You can be a great scorer but you better be able to guard someone if you want to see significant minutes for Bill Self.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I keep forgetting about Cuffe....I know he's athletic....is he gonna play?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Nah
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:38 am Yesifu shined on a team with mid-level talent (i.e. Drake) but he is surrounded by elite talent at KU. I love his skill set but think his role here is to be a spark off the bench. I would be thrilled if he proved me wrong.

You can be a great scorer but you better be able to guard someone if you want to see significant minutes for Bill Self.
Theres nothing wrong with that. Remys role ended up being a spark off the bench, and that was a huge part of how we won a title