Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Totally random thread

Post by ousdahl »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 am Like I said: Allowing more opportunity for exceptionally talented black, Latino, Asian, anyone-not-white to get good roles, good pay, use their talents, etc. in theater.
It is good for theater at the box office too. By my judgement, Hamilton has a more culturally diverse audience.
The fast and the furious is among the highest grossing movie franchises of all time, in large part because they appeal to a more culturally diverse audience. Among other things, it’s just good business.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:08 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 am
DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 am Like I said: Allowing more opportunity for exceptionally talented black, Latino, Asian, anyone-not-white to get good roles, good pay, use their talents, etc. in theater.
It is good for theater at the box office too. By my judgement, Hamilton has a more culturally diverse audience.
So, we pretend like George Washington was black and Thomas Jefferson was Latino, but if a white actor plays a minority, it is an outrage? Got it.
Some top shelf whinery there House...
Sorry, don’t see how a statement of fact is whining.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

They reserved one role for a token white guy. Shouldn’t that make it ok?
The part that is comical relief in the play, King George, is always a white person.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm They reserved one role for a token white guy. Shouldn’t that make it ok?
The part that is comical relief in the play, King George, is always a white person.
Do what you want. Personally, I’m not going to pay money to be insulted or the butt of some subtextual joke.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

lobster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm I've said since I was a teenager that black history month is not the way the go about it. Blacks are part of America's history, therefore, their history should just be taught as American history. All these labels to divide everyone just ends up causing more harm, ironically.
Yep, I sure assumed that Black History came about because of the very reason that Black history was NOT being taught as part of the American History being taught. So, at the very least, Blacks can have one month of people like them being recognized for their achievements. Make it the shortest and coldest month so as not to impose too much on the race dictating what gets taught. That last line was stolen from a Chris Rock skit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm They reserved one role for a token white guy. Shouldn’t that make it ok?
At first I thought you meant the token white guy was Paul Walker
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm
If Paul Walker is representative of white guys, we apparently only have one facial expression and tone of voice.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

House, I’m going to assume you are white.
So you find that having a token white guy is insulting?!? Imagine all the people that must then be insulted by having a “token” Black/Asian/Female/Fat/Gay character in plays, commercials, and sitcoms.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:55 pm House, I’m going to assume you are white.
So you find that having a token white guy is insulting?!? Imagine all the people that must then be insulted by having a “token” Black/Asian/Female/Fat/Gay character in plays, commercials, and sitcoms.
I don’t find it insulting. I just loathe Paul Walker’s acting skills (or lack thereof). I do think the whole concept of “token” anything is silly, though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm
If Paul Walker is representative of white guys, we apparently only have one facial expression and tone of voice.
And bad car handling skills. #TooSoon
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

trying to make some white joke about how they all look the same.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So, we pretend like George Washington was black and Thomas Jefferson was Latino, but if a white actor plays a minority, it is an outrage? Got it.
Kwai Chang Caine says hi.

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:35 pm
Kwai Chang Caine says hi.

That was also about 50 years ago. The world is a little different today.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:23 pm
lobster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm I've said since I was a teenager that black history month is not the way the go about it. Blacks are part of America's history, therefore, their history should just be taught as American history. All these labels to divide everyone just ends up causing more harm, ironically.
Yep, I sure assumed that Black History came about because of the very reason that Black history was NOT being taught as part of the American History being taught. So, at the very least, Blacks can have one month of people like them being recognized for their achievements. Make it the shortest and coldest month so as not to impose too much on the race dictating what gets taught. That last line was stolen from a Chris Rock skit.
No one can deny that there have been whites with prejudice in past, just as there can be prejudice and racism from non-whites. Very few people are actual racists, as the real term that they are looking for is prejudice or discrimination. However, the world we live in now is anything but prejudice against non-whites. America in 2019 bends over backwards in universities, special scholarships for them, affirmative action, etc. Ironically, most blacks I've spoken with have told me they don't want a handout because of their race and would prefer to earn something on merit.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm That was also about 50 years ago. The world is a little different today.
You are correct. And yes, people lose their freaking minds when Scarlett Johansson gets cast as a trans man.

But I don't think that the reverse is what's going on with Hamilton. Hamilton is explicitly intended to challenge historical preconceptions and to make the case that, from the start, America has been a place where anyone, even a West Indian orphan, can become an aide to the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Publius, and the first Secretary of the Treasury. The ahistorical racial casting is an homage to the American ideal. It's a good thing.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sorry to get the thread back on topic, buuut....

so I've been binging Breaking Bad again.

as brilliant as it was, does anybody else feel like the whole nazis angle was sort of hurried or something?

everything else about the whole series is so meticulous. But with Uncle Jack and co, we never really get any backstory or character development. They're so evil, and well connected among prison gangs, but we never know why. They're supposed to be some kind of criminal geniuses, even though they just seem like a bunch of drunk white trash. They apparently thrive off some criminal empire, like so many of the other brilliant antiheros. But in contrast to the other smooth criminals who use professional fronts to hide in plain sight, we're supposed to believe these guys somehow go undetected just running around with swastika tattoos and machine guns. Nephew Todd even has a legit day job in pest control. It was almost like the writers just said "how do we end this? Well we need some antagonist...howsabout nazis??"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm That was also about 50 years ago. The world is a little different today.
You are correct. And yes, people lose their freaking minds when Scarlett Johansson gets cast as a trans man.

But I don't think that the reverse is what's going on with Hamilton. Hamilton is explicitly intended to challenge historical preconceptions and to make the case that, from the start, America has been a place where anyone, even a West Indian orphan, can become an aide to the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Publius, and the first Secretary of the Treasury. The ahistorical racial casting is an homage to the American ideal. It's a good thing.
Well said.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

El Camino was fantastic.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:08 am
Some top shelf whinery there House...
Not really "whinery." Just completely dense and missing the point.