Automobiles

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm I’m guessing the luxury SUVs are for folks who, for instance in CO markets, want the high clearance that really is nice for traveling in winter weather.

They could just get a Ford Explorer or something, but that’s just not bougie enough.
Im not a big ford guy. I have an explorer (my wife does rather) and it has been surprisingly functional and comfortable. Its on pavement usually but often is on gravel and rutted out dirt mountain log roads and it has done well. Comfortable for highway driving and juussssttt enough clearance for the easy backroad stuff.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm I've had 2 expeditions, but I'd never buy a brand new 1 for all that $
It is pretty goddamned crazy what some things cost these days. You can be into a pretty normal pickup (so, like, not Denali or what have you) for $50k before batting an eye.
If youre getting anything except a halfton gasser you're looking at 50k easy. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Then, if you go back and try to find an old 90s 12 or 24 valve cummins with 300k miles they still want 15 for the things. Thats close to what they cost when they were new. Its insane.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:22 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm I've had 2 expeditions, but I'd never buy a brand new 1 for all that $
It is pretty goddamned crazy what some things cost these days. You can be into a pretty normal pickup (so, like, not Denali or what have you) for $50k before batting an eye.
If youre getting anything except a halfton gasser you're looking at 50k easy. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Then, if you go back and try to find an old 90s 12 or 24 valve cummins with 300k miles they still want 15 for the things. Thats close to what they cost when they were new. Its insane.
I want one of those, what, 1992-ish Dodge Dakotas with the V-10.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I want a 95-99 12 valve or 24 valve cummins. The 12 valve is a bulletproof engine. I want one and then put an allison transmission in it, I'd probably never need a new truck again ever.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

It jumped a lot over the last decade+ for the large SUVs and trucks.

Hell it's hard to even find an affordable used Expedition/Tahoe/etc. that doesn't have 100k+ miles on it....the price drop down to explorer size vs expedition size is insane. Explorer does the trick for me for now, but definitely smaller and not nearly as good in snow. Those V8 Expeditions were nearly unstoppable.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:47 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 am Anyone remember the "Real American Hero" beer commercials? They did one that was very short-lived on SUV-guy. The line I remember is "The only off roading that thing will ever do is if you accidentally back over your wife's flower bed." I think it was short-lived cuz it hit too close to home for their customers.

Seems to fit here.
But even so! Disregard that >95% of buyers of luxury SUVs will never go off-road. Set that aside.

I just don't understand, if you're shopping in this aisle, how you end up with those squished abominations. It's like you want some (but not very much) of the good things about four-dour performance "coupes" (that aren't coupes), like the BMW M6 Gran Coupe, or Audi A7, with some (but not very much) of the good things about true luxury SUVs (too many examples to count), but with the lipstick-on-a-pig version of this aesthetic:

till the day i die, i’ll see those and think walter white
Deleted User 89

not really a fan of fords, mustangs, or gas-guzzling muscle cars in general, but...

https://drivetribe.com/p/heres-why-the- ... apple_news

that’s a sexy ride, and i’d imagine incredibly fun to drive
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

anyone familiar with WhistlinDiesel?

or with resto-modding in general?

I think old trucks upgraded to 4x4 are so cool. Except for the chrome. Get that shit outta here and put some grownup wheels on there like a normal adult.

Deleted User 89

4x4, yes

those extra wide tires and rims, no

jmo
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It looked better in its original form
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in terms of some aesthetic, sure.

but a truck that's not 4 wheel drive is kinda like kissing your sister, especially in any mountain and/or snowy region.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am in terms of some aesthetic, sure.

but a truck that's not 4 wheel drive is kinda like kissing your sister, especially in any mountain and/or snowy region.
Those tires will provide you no more than false comfort in the snow.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I love that the visor survived.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

anyone ever have problems with their e-brake not disengaging?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Rusted. Start the car and drive forward and backward slightly, rock it and try to brake that rust free.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

When I drove from Southern California to Lawrence for college, my mom (for reasons unknown) applied the parking brake on my Explorer when we stopped for the night in like Utah somewhere.

The next day, about ten minutes after hitting the road, there was just the most godawful smell (and smoke).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dang. at least you got down the road.

this was completely seized up. Like wouldn't even budge. Put it in 4 hi and it could at least crawl down the driveway but the rear right tire was just dragging. Put it in 4 lo and locked the diff and rocked it back and forth until it popped free, with a literal POP you could feel and hear. Hoping that was just the seized brake breaking looose, and nothing actually breaking. So far everything seems fine.

This happened once before, in the dead of winter, when I drove through a car wash and went straight home and parked it. The next morning I had to crawl down the street crooked with the back wheel dragging until it came free. That time I assumed it just got wet and froze, cuz it was like 9 degrees out.

Yesterday on a warm sunny spring day, I washed it in the driveway, including a good spray under the wheel wells and stuff, giving everything a good rinse. Apparently if water gets into the brakes it can combine with brake dust and dirt and and form a sort of paste that sticks between the pad.I googled it and called my buddy who works at a garage, and both said it's more normal than you'd expect.

Glad the locking diff popped it free. Go figure I need the Off Road package to get out of my driveway. Hoping it doesn't become a more frequent issue.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

also I miss Click and Clack.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Youre welcome
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I've been perusing new car listings the last week or so b/c the financing offers are unprecedentedly ridiculous.

But, maybe more ridiculous is someone in my living situation buying a new car in the year 2020.

This thing may just permanently change car buying.