Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DrPepper »

Feminine hygiene products and Applejacks
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:50 pm I believe Coronavirus is spread through aerosolization and inhalation. Not through consumption.

So, I think the situation that's most probably, is someone selling an animal for food, that animal acuired both SARS, from a human, perhaps the farmer raising the animal, and also aquired a bat coronavirus, from a bat (I guess it sneezed near the livestock). And then those viruses recombined in the livestock and when transmitted to humans was more virulent.

I mean, if I'm right about antigenic shift, and I might not be. Bacteria are what I actually study, though, it's a zoonotic pathogen, just to make zsn happy.

-Having said that, snakes may get viruses through eating, mammals tend not to.
Wondering if you ever saw the movie "Contagion?" Just guessing a person with your background has - wonder if you thought it was amateurish or spot on?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:50 pm I believe Coronavirus is spread through aerosolization and inhalation. Not through consumption.

So, I think the situation that's most probably, is someone selling an animal for food, that animal acuired both SARS, from a human, perhaps the farmer raising the animal, and also aquired a bat coronavirus, from a bat (I guess it sneezed near the livestock). And then those viruses recombined in the livestock and when transmitted to humans was more virulent.

I mean, if I'm right about antigenic shift, and I might not be. Bacteria are what I actually study, though, it's a zoonotic pathogen, just to make zsn happy.

Wondering if you ever saw the movie "Contagion?" Just guessing a person with your background has - wonder if you thought it was amateurish or spot on?
I didn't

I think most people praise it as "getting the science right" moreso than other similar movies.

But I do know colleagues who were very critical of certain aspects of it, though I'm not sure what exactly. Since I didn't watch it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am
chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:03 am

I didn't

I think most people praise it as "getting the science right" moreso than other similar movies.

But I do know colleagues who were very critical of certain aspects of it, though I'm not sure what exactly. Since I didn't watch it.
Given your posts, I would highly recommend it. It's really interesting and quite scary.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 amBut I do know colleagues who were very critical of certain aspects of it, though I'm not sure what exactly.
Probably Jude Law's mailed-in performance.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i enjoyed it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:54 pmi enjoyed it
It's fine. Probably should have been released on Netflix.

It also unabashedly taps into and draws out the American viewer's uninformed fears.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its a Michael Moore movie?
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soderbergh
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea that was just my poor attempt at humor playing in the "playing on Americans fears" comment. It wasnt a very good joke.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Oh, yeah, not touching that.

Tangentially, my point: there are similarities to Soderbergh's efforts in Contagion and the coverage of coronavirus.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So you guys are saying I should NOT have booked my hotel in Chinatown?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Went to purchase a box of dust masks for my laborers today and all the dust masks are gone at Menards and the Home Depot. Word is that all the Chinese KU students descended on these businesses at the start of the week and bought them all. It's somewhat unnerving to drive through Lawrence and see people wearing these masks as they walk down Mass St. I thought we only saw scenes like that on television.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

It's like Michael Jackson's everywhere...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:07 pm Its a Dinesh D'Souza movie?
FYP.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The Chinese students in my neck of the woods have the kickass washable masks more akin to what you see in the Hong Kong demonstrations (but not only in black). If we had air pollution like some other areas of the world, we locals would be more up to speed on the fashion choices of face masks.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm
FYP.
I don't even know who that is
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:30 pm The Chinese students in my neck of the woods have the kickass washable masks more akin to what you see in the Hong Kong demonstrations (but not only in black). If we had air pollution like some other areas of the world, we locals would be more up to speed on the fashion choices of face masks.
I was on a work trip to Beijing and Tianjin in April last year, after spending a few days in Tokyo. I was urged by several people in the know to buy a mask and wear it when I was in PRC (I wore it about half of the time I was outdoors). So, I went to the equivalent of a CVS in Tokyo. Man, were the choices abundant!! Not only were there several different varieties (in terms of filtration ability) there were several styles, numerous colors, branding (Hello Kitty, Pokemon)..........Yes, these facemasks are absolutely a fashion statement!!
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm
FYP.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Gutter, Chikn, MJL,

It's been nice knowing you.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1126566