Royals

Other Sports.
shindig

Re: Royals

Post by shindig »

I like Whit, but I'd trade him for 3 MLB players in a heartbeat. He should have been on the 2015 team and got a ring, but wasn't called up. At least with the Cubs he has a chance to win a WS.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Whit will be useful for awhile. He'll still be able to play on the other side of this development hump and his contract is a damn robbery.

You either fleece a team or keep him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:06 am I like Whit, but I'd trade him for 3 MLB players in a heartbeat. He should have been on the 2015 team and got a ring, but wasn't called up. At least with the Cubs he has a chance to win a WS.
We don't need MLB players. Not three of them, anyway. If we could shake loose a top-25 prospect and two more top-100 guys, I'd pull the trigger. I think there's a good chance Whit is exactly as marketable next summer (and perhaps the summer after that) as he is now, but he's also on the wrong side of the age curve and could become "fine" (as opposed to "awesome") literally any day.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am but he's also on the wrong side of the age curve and could become "fine" (as opposed to "awesome") literally any day.
In that case, you're ok just keeping him through the end of the contract.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am but he's also on the wrong side of the age curve and could become "fine" (as opposed to "awesome") literally any day.
In that case, you're ok just keeping him through the end of the contract.
Sure. If he regresses to being league-average at the plate, sure. Just keep him around and use his versatility to manage the sequencing of your callups or other acquisitions.

But right now he's a plus hitter, and versatile, and cheap. As long as the first two remain the case, he stands to be pretty damn valuable to someone else. It just takes one.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:18 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 pm The Royals were a couple of bullpen pitchers from winning this year. Some roster spots should have been filled by kids from the start. That starting nine is looking good.
I don't think two bullpen pitchers would have made the difference.
We are 22nd in runs scored, 19th in avg, 23rd in OBP, 24th in SLG.
Our starting pitching is middle of the line.
The stubborn start with Owings and others was self-inflicted, however. I thought all along that there were better options on the farm. The line-up right now is pretty good with some good power. Whit is a Dimaggio-type player and I hope they don't trade him. If all of this great system pitching is in play soon enough, he'll still be a Zobrist-type guy in a few years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In June:
26th in runs scored, 23rd in avg, 28th in OBP, 28th in SLG.

Good power?
28th in HR's in June.
Last in HR's in July.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think it's accepted that, whenever we're talking about anything good the Royals are doing offensively, there's an implicit "other than the bottom third of the lineup." In June and July, we also didn't have the Dozier of April and May.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm In June:
26th in runs scored, 23rd in avg, 28th in OBP, 28th in SLG.

Good power?
28th in HR's in June.
Last in HR's in July.
They play in the biggest park. Two last night. Soler, Dozier and Gordo have good power. Starling and Merrifield have moments too. So do Cuthbert and Mondesi. Speed and alley power. The team was wrecked early and often by pitching and the bottom three (who should have been scrapped much earlier). The team with Starling is different now. But still bereft of closers.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'll be in KC next week and plan to hit a game. Assuming weather is consistently disgustingly hot all week, which night should I go?
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

As always, go when the weather is best.

I would probably pick Thursday. Friday night is dollar night, and can be a little bit of a drunken shitshow--unless that's what you're looking for. Thursday also later start time, so cooler weather.

Leave your weekend open.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks CnB, We're leaving for home early Sat. So Thurs it is.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I went to a Thursday night in mid-June. Great traffic day. We sat in the Sonic section. It was great finally being able to see the game from out there. Some shade in and around the food court too. It is a great experience these days.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:47 pm I went to a Thursday night in mid-June. Great traffic day. We sat in the Sonic section. It was great finally being able to see the game from out there. Some shade in and around the food court too. It is a great experience these days.
Love those Sonic seats during a night game. They are absolutely brutal on a Sunday afternoon in mid-summer though.

Been there a few times. Once when Mike Trout was roaming CF, and that was cool to see.

Went to another game on a Sunday afternoon when it was 97. Sunnier than sunny. Greinke was pitching in his last season in KC. Ned got thrown out because the umpire stood in front of Jason Kendall and Ned was pissed. But it was cool because a Torii Hunter HR for the Angels landed just a few feet away but couldn't get there fast enough.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 pm As always, go when the pitching is most interesting.

I would probably pick Thursday. Friday night is dollar night, and can be a little bit of a drunken shitshow--unless that's what you're looking for. Thursday also later start time, so cooler weather.

Leave your weekend open.
If it were me, I'd go Thursday (to see Montgomery's first Royals start).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Home start, anyway.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Man they look good lately. Merrifield is just an old school player. Filthy the whole game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Guess I'm the gutter of the Royals thread but it helps when you're playing the bottom half of the AL Central.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have watched them all year; wanted to see the kids coming up. The Royals have a pretty solid starting nine. Cuthbert is really a backup; would like to see someone earn his way up to replace him in the daily lineup. Peralta is done IMHO. Painful.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

July 2018. Royals ranked as 31st worst organizational talent in MLB.

July 2019. Royals ranked as 18th for organizational talent in MLB.

Not a bad jump for Moore and Co.

JJ Cooper with Baseball America said they'd be even higher if the best hitters in A ball (Matias, Melendez, Pratto) were hitting better.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG