Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:28 pm Late in the game we want the ball in the hands of HD and KM. Not sure why we need DH to pretend he is Frank Devonte Sherron Etc. We have the personnel around him that allows him to be himself.

Maybe it's more comforting for some of you to have the PG be the go to scorer, but it's not a necessity. It's easier for a 7'2 guy to get a clean look.
It's not that I want Harris to be our go-to scorer; I don't. But if we need one point, absolutely I'd rather have him shooting a layup than Hunter shooting a contested 10-foot hook off a confused catch.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:31 pm What I'm reacting to here is how goddamn stagnant we get in the halfcourt (which mostly comes down to us being, somehow, again, one shooter short).
I think we are doing about as well as we possibly could have hoped. There is not elite high end NBA talent on this team. KJ is severely limited on offense, but thankfully thrives due to the passing of DH KM and HD. Elmarko is even worse at shooting from 3 than Timberlake. DH is a facilitator first, not a scorer.

I think we are doing great. HD and KM eFG% numbers are amazing so far this year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:37 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:31 pm What I'm reacting to here is how goddamn stagnant we get in the halfcourt (which mostly comes down to us being, somehow, again, one shooter short).
I think we are doing about as well as we possibly could have hoped. There is not elite high end NBA talent on this team. KJ is severely limited on offense, but thankfully thrives due to the passing of DH KM and HD. Elmarko is even worse at shooting from 3 than Timberlake. DH is a facilitator first, not a scorer.

I think we are doing great. HD and KM eFG% numbers are amazing so far this year.
Another part of what I'm reacting to is that I still can't fully internalize that McCullar is actually this good. That's on me!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:32 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:28 pm Late in the game we want the ball in the hands of HD and KM. Not sure why we need DH to pretend he is Frank Devonte Sherron Etc. We have the personnel around him that allows him to be himself.

Maybe it's more comforting for some of you to have the PG be the go to scorer, but it's not a necessity. It's easier for a 7'2 guy to get a clean look.
But if we need one point, absolutely I'd rather have him shooting a layup than Hunter shooting a contested 10-foot hook off a confused catch.
Ok?

I'd rather have a KJ dunk than a DH layup. We can come up with endless scenarios. Last game DH KM and HD all made clutch baskets.

I get your nervousness. I'd feel better if we had future NBA all stars at every position.

Stats say, if we need a basket, get HD the ball in the paint. He has a historically good eFG% currently.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:39 pm Another part of what I'm reacting to is that I still can't fully internalize that McCullar is actually this good. That's on me!
I feel you. We've been doing this for a few years. Some of Self's best work.

Felt the same about KM as Jalen and Och/CB prior. Just look at our relative lackluster NBA Jayhawk roster currently. We are getting great team results without elite NBA talent.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:41 pm

But if we need one point, absolutely I'd rather have him shooting a layup than Hunter shooting a contested 10-foot hook off a confused catch.
Ok?

I'd rather have a KJ dunk than a DH layup. We can come up with endless scenarios. Last game DH KM and HD all made clutch baskets.

I get your nervousness. I'd feel better if we had future NBA all stars at every position.

Stats say, if we need a basket, get HD the ball in the paint. He has a historically good eFG% currently.
Ok. But my issue is that, at least a couple times a game-ish, Harris drives and - in my opinion - makes a poor decision to get the ball in a big's hands (or a wing shooter's hands) instead of simply taking a high-percentage shot.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:39 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:37 pm

Another part of what I'm reacting to is that I still can't fully internalize that McCullar is actually this good. That's on me!
I have been pleasantly surprised with how well McCullar has played. He has times where he pulls a Jalen Wilson and just charges in there praying for a foul but he seems to have a little better feel for actually drawing them. He's shooting more free throws a game than Wilson did and he is shooting a higher 2 pt fg%, 3 pt fg%, and ft% than Wilson did last year. He just takes three less shots a game, including 2 less threes a game than Jalen because he has Dickinson out there who Self feeds first.

His development this offseason has been a welcome surprise.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:44 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:41 pm
Ok?

Ok. But my issue is that, at least a couple times a game-ish, Harris drives and - in my opinion - makes a poor decision to get the ball in a big's hands (or a wing shooter's hands) instead of simply taking a high-percentage shot.
Sure....but just like an elite shooter sometimes taking a bad shot or two DH is going to over probe at times because he is responsible for creating scoring opportunities for others.

I think this team can be more of a slow it down type team, press full court, run off of your defense, and if the offense gets stagnant occasionally so be it. Running and gunning is more fun but we don't have the horses for that. This won't ever have the feel of some of our teams in the past that felt perfect with essentially no weakness. Our talent level won't allow that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DH is averaging the most 3pt attempts per game of his career and is shooting 48.1% from 3....he is now showing a career 3pt shooting percentage of 40.7%.

Merry Christmas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Quick update:

This guy is averaging 6.8pts, 6.9ast, and 2.2reb per game.

He's going to end up very high on all time assists after next year.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:34 pm Quick update:

they're going to have to have some asterisks for these covid year stats
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:05 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:34 pm Quick update:

they're going to have to have some asterisks for these covid year stats
They should, but they won't. So top 7ish(?) he'll end up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Errr he’s already top 9.
He could be top 3 by the end of THIS season.
( we are talking KU top 10 right? )

He could break Aaron’s record.

If all time in Men’s CBB then I’d say top 5 is within reach.

Bobby Hurley is 1st with 1,076.
Dajuan could probably average 250 a year for 24 and then 25.

That’d give him 940, 10th overall.
But if he averaged 270 a year?
980. More than Aaron Miles and Steve Blake for 6th.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:59 pm Errr he’s already top 9.
He could be top 3 by the end of THIS season.
( we are talking KU top 10 right? )

He could break Aaron’s record.

If all time in Men’s CBB then I’d say top 5 is within reach.

Bobby Hurley is 1st with 1,076.
Dajuan could probably average 250 a year for 24 and then 25.

That’d give him 940, 10th overall.
But if he averaged 270 a year?
980. More than Aaron Miles and Steve Blake for 6th.
I guess I hadn't looked in a while. I didn't know he was so close to passing so many guys (on the KU list).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

It just feels whack with these guys getting 5 years to break 4 year records
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:33 pm It just feels whack with these guys getting 5 years to break 4 year records
Soon, I think, you'll be able to play sports in "college" for as long as you want.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:33 pm It just feels whack with these guys getting 5 years to break 4 year records
Soon, I think, you'll be able to play sports in "college" for as long as you want.
Could we then bring back Gravy?
He looked 48 years old in college....
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:12 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Could we then bring back Gravy?
He looked 48 years old in college....
I think he was definitely early 30s when he played.