"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by japhy »

zsn wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 pm One final "get off my lawn" sentiment though (I'm getting old, and I am entitled to it ^@$%@): it annoys me to no end when I see people trying to take photos of the painting with their phones. First of all the perspective and lighting is going to be all wrong. There is no way you are going to frame it and look at it frequently, if ever.
I have a whole iphone full of photographs of art. It's a reference catalog of sorts, and I reference them in my studio often. I don't need a whole book of Diane Victor's work, but my three photos of her "Wise and Foolish Virgins" are a good reference for her technique. I have photos of Robert Rauschenberg's huge work that was at the LACMA earlier this year because I only wanted pieces of the quarter mile or so of assemblages. There's the saying that everything has been done before in art. Anything "new" you want to make requires you to invent techniques or use materials in new ways. I like to take photos of new techniques and try to figure out how they we're done. It's why the work of Mark Bradford is so great, the guy makes it up as he goes using the materials he has on hand. Sometimes I modify them and use them in my own artwork. Sometimes it gives me an idea of how to modify my own techniques for a different effect. I spent a whole morning one day in the studio of a dead collage artist going through his archives and taking lots of photos. It was a textbook on how to make great collage work by a relatively unknown artist. Buying posters and sticking them on your walls is a lazy way to decorate. If you like art and want to put it on the walls of your home there are ways to do that for a little more money than that or the same money but more effort. Go to a student art sale at someplace like the Kansas City Art Institute. You can pick up really good works on paper for as little as $20. You can meet the artist and talk to them about what they are doing and saying, it is more fun to have the art when you know the artists and hear their stories. Art at it's best is a form of communication, you will enjoy it more if you know it's story. I am not a big believer in buying art as an investment, mostly because I would have to give up the stuff I enjoy seeing every day to sell it. We have a painting by Maurice Sterne, his wife for a short time was Mabel Dodge Luhan. She was a rich easterner who brought artists like Georgia O'Keefe to Taos to create an artists community. She collected artists. The painting is a bird of paradise flower in blue. He is famous for paintings of other things, never a flower that I am aware of. Maurice and Mabel moved to Taos about 1916 or so and sooner after a local native American named George Luhan declared he loved Mabel and that he was going to marry her. To seal the deal George set up his teepee in Mabel and Maurice's front yard and said he wouldn't leave until she married him. Maurice went and got a gun and Mabel said "no, here's your train fare and some walking around money, head on back to New York". A few years later Maurice painted his only painting of a flower in a Georgia O'Keefe style and it hangs in my living room. We liked the painting before we knew the story but once we knew the story of Maurice and Mabel we had to have it. It has probably gained in value since we bought it but that isn't the point of having it, the point is we see it every time we walk through the room and it reminds me of that crazy story. I have a small Paul Klee etching that has a crazy story of provenance, and a Leon Golub that was going to be sent to a New York gallery from Chicago but I intervened after a couple of beers because I decided it shouldn't leave the midwest, and a Robert Stackhouse that reminds my wife of her youth on Lake Superior. So anyway....buy real art and meet the artists when you can and listen to their stories. You will enjoy them even more that way. And that dude taking photos in the museum may be me, I ain't bothering nobody, so fuck off if it bugs you.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:52 pm Gutter was taking a picture of the butt of the chick in jeans and accidently got the painting in the picture.
POTD!

The sad part is if I really did take that photo and my last name is Struth I would have sold it for a lot of money.
If I did take that photo and my name is Gutter - then it's not even worth the cost to print it.

I doubt you want to take 24 minutes to watch this but if offers good insight in to who and what Thomas Struth is all about.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoOP6DSY3O4
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

japhy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 pm I have a whole iphone full of photographs of art. It's a reference catalog of sorts, and I reference them in my studio often. ................And that dude taking photos in the museum may be me, I ain't bothering nobody, so fuck off if it bugs you.
You're clearly not the person I was referring to, as you left out the operative sentence after the part that you quoted. Obviously you are conscious of the others ("I ain't bothering nobody) but I am talking about the jackass with the selfie-stick and walking back and forth in front of people taking pictures. I am talking about those who are taking pictures of the Mona Lisa while I am trying to enjoy The Wedding Feast at Cana

https://i0.wp.com/keepcalmandwander.com ... .jpg?w=960
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw that jackass at The Broad several months ago. He throwed hisself down on the floor right in front of a large Basquiat and started posing like Burt Reynolds in Cosmo or some such shit. One of the guards told him to get his ass up off the floor and away from the painting and called him a twat. He deserved it. OK, we on the same page there.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shitty weather in Yellowstone so now we’re scrapping that and bouncing around Colorado instead.

But first, day drinking and football and day drinking cuz why not, we’re on vacation!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So what’s the name of that emoji with the heart eyes?

Because, Durango! *thatemoji*
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My Dad took us there when I was a teenager. Loved it. We hung out in Durango, Ouray, and Silverton. Then spent some time in Mesa Verde.

I took my oldest to Mesa Verde when she was in high school. We then drove down to Carlsbad Caverns in NM. Great trip. I love New Mexico.

Beautiful area.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am So what’s the name of that emoji with the heart eyes?
Imagine if you had been there 55 years ago when Purgatory was just opening and you could have bought a stake in the place for $70K. You probably could have bought up half of Main Ave for $100k and waited for the brew pubs and restaurants and galleries to start up. Not many small towns left undiscovered out there in the mountains.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am So what’s the name of that emoji with the heart eyes?

i love Durango

my brother keeps threatening to love there once his spawn are out of hs
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Do you have any images of their genitals that you could share with us?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you want to see thomasmorly0022's sphinx statues, you'll have to book a get away trip because he gone.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am Do you have any images of their genitals that you could share with us?
Ban?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Feral wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 am
japhy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am Do you have any images of their genitals that you could share with us?
Ban?
Right?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I was just getting to like the dood.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Love Durango and Purgatory. Went there in the summer once when I was a kid and it was an absolute blast. The Alpine slides, some good food and great views.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang, I missed Thomas.

As cool as it would be to have invested in a mountain town 55 years ago, heck, give me a condo in a ski town 5 years ago. At least in my area prices have damn near doubled since.

Durango is more touristy than I expected, I guess, but we also stuck mostly to downtown. Compared to the tourist traps near Denver and/or i70 though, the locals seemed less burned out by and friendlier to the whole tourism thing. And the San Juans are prob the prettiest mountains in Colorado. And open land that actually feels open instead of crowded!

I dunno how I feel about Mesa Verde. On one hand, less going on than any other national park. The whole place is basically 2 roads. Only 1 car campground right near the entrance, then everything is way spread out. No trails or access to the vast majority of the park land, which is mostly just rolling fields of scrub brush and/or wildfire burns. You can drive for miles thru the desert and not even know you’re still in a national park.

But on the other hand, I know of no other park created to preserve sweet archeological remains. The cliff dwellings are cool, and really pique one’s curiosity and imagination.

With that said, I dunno about the execution of it all. They advertise like 5000 artifacts and hundreds of dwellings or something, but there’s only actually like 5 or 6 sites to see. (And the museum, which wasn’t bad). These 5 or 6 sites are pretty spread out, so be ready for several hours of drive time.

Oh! And you can peek at the dwellings from afar, but if you want to actually walk up and check them out, you gotta sign up for a guided tour, which requires you to drive back to the entrance and pay extra, though they don’t mention that to you when you arrive.

Oh, and the whole park is in the middle of fucking nowhere, with nothing nearby along the way.

So if you really wanna see the cliff dwellings, it’s totally worth it. But if you wanna do any other sort of recreation, or just sight see in the southwest, there are way better, cheaper, more accessible, less crowded options around.

I mean, no there aren’t, y’all should check out Mesa Verde! Spend a whole week there!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I dunno about a whole week. We camped and did a bunch of guided tours in 2 or 3 days then headed to Carlsbad. BTW, DO NOT STAY IN WHITE CITY. There was a monster lightning storm when we pulled in so we opted to get a hotel room in the one hotel in the tourist trap. Nasty. I still cringe when I think about it.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 am
Ban?
Don't you get all uppity, you wanted to see those pics too.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the wife and i loved mess verde, and we even splurged a whole $10 for a worthwhile guided tour

if you’re into that sort of thing, there are ruins all over the 4-corners area...hovenweep, natural bridges, etc.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 pm the wife and i loved mess verde, and we even splurged a whole $10 for a worthwhile guided tour

if you’re into that sort of thing, there are ruins all over the 4-corners area...hovenweep, natural bridges, etc.
We loved Mesa Verde too. But the Four Corners itself has to be the most underwhelming tourist attraction there is (maybe the Little Mermaid and Mannequin Pis come close). It is also the most pointless. It's a totally contrived object and as soon as I saw it my first reaction was "So, what"

I totally agree that the natural and human-history attractions in the four corners (and extended) area are absolutely spectacular and I would love to spend a month or so exploring all of them