Kobe

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 141

Re: Kobe

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I hope she invested that money well.

What would your price be for forced anal?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:59 am
NDballer13 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:42 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:15 am

I think that is really easy for us to say. I have to wonder how his then-19; now-36 year-old victim feels about the revisionist mass Kobe hagiography we’ve seen unfolding all week. For me, it’s the same as Tiger Woods. He’s a philandering piece of garbage who treated his wife like a common whore. Who cares how well he hits a golf ball? He’s an ass.
Because for their millions of fans, 99% of which have never personally met them, their personal lives aren't why they are fans. When you watch professional sports, it's for entertainment. Literally the only thing people care about is how well Tiger hits a golf ball, or how Kobe can score from positions you didn't think were possible. You don't buy tickets to events based on whether the players you're watching are nice dudes away from their stage. You're there to watch them do things average people can't physically do.

By all accounts, Kobe is a great guy who made one mistake when he was a young adult. Can you say you never made a dumb decision? Yes, what he did, if he actually did it, was absolutely horrible, but one night doesn't define 41 years. How would you react if you were mourning a loved one and heard someone say "Why are they even mourning this guy after he did ______ 25 years ago? He's a piece of shit who should just rott in the ground." Or people remember you by that one night in college you had a little too much Natty Ice and made a stupid decision.

He very well could be an ass who made a terrible decision, but like gutter said, that doesn't erase all the good he did in the world in the 15+ years after that night.
I get what you are saying, and I don't fault family and close friends for mourning the loss of their husband/father/son/teammate. What I don't get is people who enjoyed watching him play basketball acting as if someone really important in their life died. One of my students from L.A. was sitting in class moping yesterday that he was stuck in Kansas and missing "getting to honor Kobe like he deserves." Never met the guy, never watched him play live, but he somehow deserves their adoration. I just don't get that.
I just don't think it's really for anyone else to understand him or anyone else who reacts like that. Whining about it doesn't do any good for anyone, especially you!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:02 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 am It has been posted twice, once by me, but this piece should be required reading for everyone, especially people with opinions that match Psych and Plano’s. Good for situations beyond Kobe.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... -obituary/
Beautifully-written article. I still believe there are some acts that make you a piece of $h!t no matter what you do from then on. Rape and marital infidelity are at the top of the list for me. I understand that is not the case for everyone.
And it is perfectly fine for you to have that opinion and it is understandable.

I think the lesson here is to spend more energy on remembering people not for a bad thing they did, but if it applies, rather for their efforts in making up for it. I just think it would do a lot of people's mental health good to have their brains work from that perspective.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 amWhat would your price be for forced anal?
I'd pay a lot to be forced to, but I don't have $2.5 million to spare.
Deleted User 141

Oh, you’d definitely be receiving, CnB. You wouldn’t have to have the money yourself.

I like your last sentence in your previous argument back to Psych. Problem for me with that is that much of reason he probably was able to settle was bc he had the means to. And I’m not going to argue any of the contents of that Pandora’s box, other than to say it’s fucked up. Similar and different from how the Chief fans will cheer on Tyreek tomorrow if he does great things. Doesn’t make him less of a piece of shit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 am Oh, you’d definitely be receiving, CnB. You wouldn’t have to have the money yourself.

I like your last sentence in your previous argument back to Psych. Problem for me with that is that much of reason he probably was able to settle was bc he had the means to. And I’m not going to argue any of the contents of that Pandora’s box, other than to say it’s fucked up.
The problem I have with this is that it assumes a civil settlement (that occurred later) forced the young woman to not testify in the criminal matter.

Which, we absolutely cannot assume. It's offensive to everyone involved to do so, but especially that woman.
Deleted User 141

I suppose all we have is assumptions, since no criminal verdict was ever made then. So no right or wrong, just assumptions.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well, even in the best light for him, Kobe made a selfish and harmful decision in Colorado that night.
Deleted User 141

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:26 am Well, even in the best light for him, Kobe made a selfish and harmful decision in Colorado that night.
It seems that way. Either forced anal or he came on her face after she told him not to.

But maybe it’s all made up and she was a money-grabber. My gut says nah to that, but that’s my assumption, and I admit that.

It doesn’t really matter anymore, though. What’s done is done. In 2003 and 2020. One’s remembrances will be what they are.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:09 am
HouseDivided wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:02 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 am It has been posted twice, once by me, but this piece should be required reading for everyone, especially people with opinions that match Psych and Plano’s. Good for situations beyond Kobe.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... -obituary/
Beautifully-written article. I still believe there are some acts that make you a piece of $h!t no matter what you do from then on. Rape and marital infidelity are at the top of the list for me. I understand that is not the case for everyone.
And it is perfectly fine for you to have that opinion and it is understandable.

I think the lesson here is to spend more energy on remembering people not for a bad thing they did, but if it applies, rather for their efforts in making up for it. I just think it would do a lot of people's mental health good to have their brains work from that perspective.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 am Oh, you’d definitely be receiving, CnB. You wouldn’t have to have the money yourself.

I like your last sentence in your previous argument back to Psych. Problem for me with that is that much of reason he probably was able to settle was bc he had the means to. And I’m not going to argue any of the contents of that Pandora’s box, other than to say it’s fucked up. Similar and different from how the Chief fans will cheer on Tyreek tomorrow if he does great things. Doesn’t make him less of a piece of shit.
It is the sad reality of American life that you get the best legal defense you can pay for. If you are Kobe or O.J., your lawyers will help you buy your way out of your worst transgressions. What they can't buy is your memory and perception of the individual.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

Can't compare the tiger and kobe situations. Tiger was not accused of rape.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 pm Can't compare the tiger and kobe situations. Tiger was not accused of rape.
No, Tiger just cheated on his wife a bazillion times and exposed her to countless STD's. No harm, no foul, right? He's a $h!tbag.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

The number of athletes who are shit bag husbands likely outweighs the good husbands.

Although that probably holds true for regular folks as well, based on the divorce rate in our country.

What tiger did to his wife was wrong. I don't condone that at all....but cheating isn't rape, so I can't compare the 2 or feel they're similar situations.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 pm The number of athletes who are shit bag husbands likely outweighs the good husbands.

Although that probably holds true for regular folks as well, based on the divorce rate in our country.

What tiger did to his wife was wrong. I don't condone that at all....but cheating isn't rape, so I can't compare the 2 or feel they're similar situations.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. I think both warrant unanesthitized castration.
Deleted User 141

That’s just dumb. While you might think the punishment should be equally as harsh, no way is the act.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I like how everyone assumes Kobe only raped one woman in his life. Dude was a garbage human. Could definitely ball though.

And psych is also a trash human. Kobe and Tiger’s situations are not comparable in any way.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:53 pm I like how everyone assumes Kobe only raped one woman in his life. Dude was a garbage human. Could definitely ball though.

And psych is also a trash human. Kobe and Tiger’s situations are not comparable in any way.
He seems to see anyone who cheats on their spouse in one certain way. Which means for that reason, maybe he sees Tiger and Kobe through the same lens. And honestly, adultery alone is a forever mistake that forever tarnishes my opinion of them forever as well. To utilize power or a position of power to force someone to have sex with you is lower than all but harming a child and murder on my scale.

Which is why I have held my tongue on this whole Kobe "thing" until now.

Hearing all of these stories about the pure volume of good deeds and selfless moments by Kobe in serving his community and in mentoring up and coming players has me reviewing exactly hom much I should be allowing even forever mistakes years in the past to weigh on my opinion of a person.

No matter what, his forever mistake is unforgivable. But it has been good to see someone move from that point in his life to this point.

The only thing that was offputting during this whole Kobe-fest has been thinking about the emotions that must have been spinning through the head of the girl that Kobe allegedly attacked in Colorado. I wonder what she thought of so many referring to Kobe as such a hero and model citizen. I empathized for her. That must have been a strange day.

Ultimately, my heart goes out to his wife and three surviving girls. I hope they are able to find peace and a few really good memories in their journey forward.
Deleted User 141

The only thing that was offputting during this whole Kobe-fest has been thinking about the emotions that must have been spinning through the head of the girl that Kobe allegedly attacked in Colorado. I wonder what she thought of so many referring to Kobe as such a hero and model citizen.

Not same as sexual assault at all, but when I was younger, dated a woman who ended up pilfering about 25k from me. She had pin to my savings and I didn’t check balance at all. I was dumb. But, that not withstanding....

....found out a few months ago she had died. I cheered.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:53 pm I like how everyone assumes Kobe only raped one woman in his life. Dude was a garbage human. Could definitely ball though.

Love you, too!