We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
Deleted User 289

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:04 am Conservative radio doesn't matter because people like Tucker Carlson are far more influential on Youtube. He's the no.1 most watched/listened to person in news. Radio is dying, yes, but Youtube and podcasting are far more popular than traditional TV.
Conservative radio doesn't matter? Then why do so many conservatives tune in to listen if it doesn't matter and has no influence on them?
Speaking of influence, my guess is before the pandemic at least 50 million people in this country would go to church (and temple and mosque and......) on a semi regular basis - and happily allow themselves to get brainwashed while they are there.
Let's be honest here. We are such a soft society in which people allow themselves to believe the narish they are being told - and allow themselves to be influenced by.
I have mentioned in the past that I have a co-worker who I firmly believe if Rush said on the radio that Obama is 5 feet tall, weighs 300 pounds, has a tail, and his real name is Willam Self, she would believe him and then tell me that it's true.

Newton - BINGO. Some people refer to him as a "news" person. I say he's in the entertainment business.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:33 am
Walrus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:04 am Conservative radio doesn't matter because people like Tucker Carlson are far more influential on Youtube. He's the no.1 most watched/listened to person in news. Radio is dying, yes, but Youtube and podcasting are far more popular than traditional TV.
Conservative radio doesn't matter? Then why do so many conservatives tune in to listen if it doesn't matter and has no influence on them?
Speaking of influence, my guess is before the pandemic at least 50 million people in this country would go to church (and temple and mosque and......) on a semi regular basis - and happily allow themselves to get brainwashed while they are there.
Let's be honest here. We are such a soft society in which people allow themselves to believe the narish they are being told - and allow themselves to be influenced by.
I have mentioned in the past that I have a co-worker who I firmly believe if Rush said on the radio that Obama is 5 feet tall, weighs 300 pounds, has a tail, and his real name is Willam Self, she would believe him and then tell me that it's true.

Newton - BINGO. Some people refer to him as a "news" person. I say he's in the entertainment business.
Some people choose to believe whatever makes them comfortable and other people choose to believe whatever makes them angry. A small portion of each of those groups are willing to change their beliefs when presented with additional information but the majority of each group actively treat conflicting information as untrue and double down on their false beliefs. This trait has been leveraged to the max for the last 5 years.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

How far have we come in the 12 years since John McCain straightened that old lady who claimed that Obama was Arab! Very sad for us as a country
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Rudy. She is 15–too old for you.
Deleted User 289

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Rudy has his dirt, for sure. I could go on a long rant about how corrupt he is and some of the stuff he's been involved in. I would prefer both the left and right not try to use the candidates family members as hit pieces. The right is just getting theirs against Biden, and the left has been doing their thing for years with Trump and his family. We should be focusing on policy, not their relatives.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm Rudy has his dirt, for sure. I could go on a long rant about how corrupt he is and some of the stuff he's been involved in. I would prefer both the left and right not try to use the candidates family members as hit pieces. The right is just getting theirs against Biden, and the left has been doing their thing for years with Trump and his family. We should be focusing on policy, not their relatives.
I mean Trump brings that all on himself. Left hasn’t attacked the kids primarily as much until his kids go on a show and worship him. Biden mentioned his son had issues but he’s still his son. The right found something and attacked Biden’s campaign about it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm Rudy has his dirt, for sure. I could go on a long rant about how corrupt he is and some of the stuff he's been involved in. I would prefer both the left and right not try to use the candidates family members as hit pieces. The right is just getting theirs against Biden, and the left has been doing their thing for years with Trump and his family. We should be focusing on policy, not their relatives.
Biden talks about his policy while Trump has been whining about everyone picking on him and calling on the DoJ and his supporters to arrest Democrats.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Biden only talks about policy? Lulz.

When he does talk about policy, it seems to mostly be shit Obama got done.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

WTF illy? Biden has written more policy than you can comprehend over decades. And he consistently talks about it.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 pm WTF illy? Biden has written more policy than you can comprehend over decades. And he consistently talks about it.
To the point of annoyance even. Every answer is a three-point plan.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 289

Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 pm WTF illy? Biden has written more policy than you can comprehend over decades. And he consistently talks about it.
I am extremely confident Illy has paid very little attention to anything Biden has said or done.
He's like many of us who are too busy paying attention to the shit-show known as Donald Trump.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm Biden only talks about policy? Lulz.

A) I didn't say "only". You added that.

B) I have heard him talk about a number of different policies from both before his years as Vice President as well as what he plans to do if he gets elected.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think part of the issue is that there's no money in engaging Trump on policy matters (because Trump has no interest in, or even passing familiarity with, actual policy matters).

If Biden was to try to make a nuanced, intelligent argument, it would be met with stupid talking points.

So, other than clearing the very low bar of demonstrating that he knows what he's talking about and Trump manifestly does not, he should just stay on the decency/unity/empathy/sanity message.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm Biden only talks about policy? Lulz.

So Biden had no hand “in (stuff) Obama got done”?

Let me remind you that the evolution of the country’s position on same-sex marriage was at first a Biden “gaffe”!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Under bone spurs the tRumpremacist Party has been reduced to a two note symphony of chaos.

Note 1 is inaudible to humanity and consists of racism/fear of becoming a minority/white grievance/owning the libs.

Note 2 is played to promote policy that benefits the top 5% of the socioeconomic ladder in the US and assure everyone listening to Note 1 that prosperity will trickle down this time; no really, just give it once more chance.

If you are looking for anything else, you should look elsewhere.

They have made Biden's job easy. If you want a chance to hear an administration sing anything else for the next four years, vote Joe.

Now we just wait and see what our country is really made of.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

japhy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am Under bone spurs the tRumpremacist Party has been reduced to a two note symphony of chaos.

Note 1 is inaudible to humanity and consists of racism/fear of becoming a minority/white grievance/owning the libs.

Note 2 is played to promote policy that benefits the top 5% of the socioeconomic ladder in the US and assure everyone listening to Note 1 that prosperity will trickle down this time; no really, just give it once more chance.

They have made Biden's job easy. If you want a chance to hear an administration sing anything else for the next four years, vote Joe.

Why does this not give me confidence
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Mjl wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:14 am
japhy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am Under bone spurs the tRumpremacist Party has been reduced to a two note symphony of chaos.

Why does this not give me confidence
Because we both know that 10's of millions of US citizens think this does not affect them either way, so they will sit this election out. It comes down to which side motivates a minority of voters in a few States. That will decide the direction for the majority of the country for the next 4 years and maybe the next decade.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Uh huh