KU v WVU Game Thread

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: KU v WVU Game Thread

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am Some of us are old enough to remember Nick Quartaro. Then Les Koenning was just a year ago.
Exactly. Dearmon is nowhere near the worst. That doesn’t mean I think he’s the answer but we won’t know until after the completion of the 2021 season
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The combination of Quartaro and Barmann was epically bad. That being said yesterday may have been the worst I have ever seen. Reading the quotes from Kendrick himself I'm halfway surprised he didn't pull himself.

The outlier here is Dearmon doesn't have a QB and how much real say does he have compared to Les. The play calling this year has been awful and no where near what it was in games last year like Iowa State and Texas.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This has been the worst offense I can remember. Surprised me because I thought they had progressed last year. Even in the 70s-80s, there were pockets of good offense. They have looked really lost.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Preface: I am not in the film room or practice field every week. I can only go on what I see in game and what I know from playing...

While reading an article about Kliff Kingsbury this morning I ran across this quote:

"But one of the most important lessons came as a player on injured reserve during the 2003 season with the New England Patriots, coached by Bill Belichick.

"With Bill it was his ability to adapt to his personnel year in, year out," Kingsbury said. "Whoever he signed or drafted, it didn't matter, they were going to find a way to utilize those guys in different ways and maximize who they were with their personnel group, and you saw that year after year."

This, IMO, is what has been lacking the most this year. Whether it be Les or Dearmon they both have shown zero adjustments or creative ways to utilize the strengths of this team. Reality says the offensive line and QB play are some of the worst in college football but reality also says no one wants to hear excuses. In college football you either produce or you don't.
Getting beat by Oklahoma State by 100+ I can live with. KU never had a chance. Losses like WVU are what really upset me. You had one 2/3 of the team playing their best football all year and then we get the offensive with one of the worst performances I have ever seen. Klatt, said it best - insanity. Then the 'lame duck' HC comes out and says that Kendrick gave KU the best chance to win. What fucking game was he watching. What does that say about your staff's inability to develop talent because Kendrick may be one of the worst QBs in KU history. That isn't his fault that is the staff's fault for continually putting him out their snap after snap. I genuinely feel bad for that kid.

I don't have any answers. I am frustrated. I'm sick and tired of watching KU football get worse and worse and further and further from even being competitive. Something has to give. I thought last year we took a baby step forward in the right direction but this year has been a completely 1 mile reversal.

*sigh*

Rant over.

Sincerely,

holidaysmore
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just wait until year 4. As it's been said here and other places. Other teams have had decent QB play for the better part of 10 years. KU has not had really any. And when they did with Stanley, there was improvement. I think Daniels has a chance to be really good. He's got a rocket of an arm, is mobile, just making typical 17 year old freshman mistakes.

I like the young guys they have in this program. Lots of really good freshman and sophomores, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offense has to sustain drives and do competent things. They haven't done that yet to this point. And it likely won't happen this year.

But man that OL is really bad and the QB play isn't much better. Kendrick had some awful throws Saturday, but coaches stuck with him, which means I think they didn't have a healthy alternative that they felt was better than him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:00 amI thought last year we took a baby step forward in the right direction but this year has been a completely 1 mile reversal.
I'm just not surprised we look like a worse team this season. It sounds like an excuse, but Beaty set his roster up to be good and upperclassmen heavy in 2019.

I won't suggest that the current staff is knocking it out of the park, I just think that this process was bound to be full of ups and downs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's not to say I'm not frustrated like holiday is as well. But I also just didn't expect results this year. Lost too much on defense and Stanley a bigger loss than I believed.

I like the coaches they have here. I like the youth of the program. I like how Les is recruiting by getting high school kids who are some studs. There is going to be ups and downs with this program for a solid while. Expect more gradual ups than dramatic downs starting by year 4.

All I'm asking for is some competitive ball. They provided that for a half yesterday. But need to see more.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's great for us that it is a RS year for everyone, but it is sad to see a giant waste of our last year with Pooka and Parchment.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah that part really really really sucks.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Guys, I've come down. Thanks for the support. I'm well aware this is going to be a long and painful rebuilding process. I shudder to think what is going to happen on Saturday against KSU.

Generally, from where we left off after Beaty was fired the behind the scenes stuff is moving in the right direction. Hell, the biggest wins of this year has been that we have only had ONE kid de-commit. That is minor miracle. Staff is young and bright but I'm still skeptical on Les.

Yeah a damn shame to watch Pook, Robinson, Lassiter, and AP waste their final year. If we had anything that resembled a QB I would take our skill guys over anyone in the Big 12. To be fair to the staff, from what I read Franks had told them he was coming here. Imagine that kid slingin' the ball around. Of course he went to Arky and the rest is history.

Been a Jayhawk football fan my whole life and don't see that changing anytime. Made it this long what is another 30+ year wait, lol!
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am Guys, I've come down. Thanks for the support. I'm well aware this is going to be a long and painful rebuilding process. I shudder to think what is going to happen on Saturday against KSU.

Generally, from where we left off after Beaty was fired the behind the scenes stuff is moving in the right direction. Hell, the biggest wins of this year has been that we have only had ONE kid de-commit. That is minor miracle. Staff is young and bright but I'm still skeptical on Les.

Yeah a damn shame to watch Pook, Robinson, Lassiter, and AP waste their final year. If we had anything that resembled a QB I would take our skill guys over anyone in the Big 12. To be fair to the staff, from what I read Franks had told them he was coming here. Imagine that kid slingin' the ball around. Of course he went to Arky and the rest is history.

Been a Jayhawk football fan my whole life and don't see that changing anytime. Made it this long what is another 30+ year wait, lol!
To be fair with kstate. They are also starting a true freshman QB. So there's potential for some yips, but regarding Franks, yeah they put all their eggs into a basket with him. Plan was to have Daniels learn from him and then go with Daniels after Franks left. That changed when Arkansas made a really heavy, late push.

This program needs a stabilizing QB. I think Daniels has that chance, but he has to be better when he plays.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I expect we'll be taken to the woodshed pretty badly by Kansas State. Our defense just gets too worn down and I wonder when the injuries and COVID are really going to set in.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 am I expect we'll be taken to the woodshed pretty badly by Kansas State. Our defense just gets too worn down and I wonder when the injuries and COVID are really going to set in.
Speaking of COVID, it seems like half the roster at a minimum doesn't dress each week.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I put Pooka and Gardner both in the backfield. I adjust the blocking to seal to one side or another and alternate burners on the outside. I do direct snaps to one of the three all game. You saw Pooka with a little room embarrass 11 guys on WVU’s special teams. I don’t play power I or anything that requires a highly talented line. Get the defense guessing. Have a sweeper holding the OLBs. Have some fun out there. Lost year otherwise.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Put Locklin back there. He was a damn good QB in HS in Texas. For some reason, he hasn't gotten the chance. He can run and can throw somewhat decently.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Newton: put him and Kendrick in with Pooka. Six QBs; keep them guessing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This has been a thing with the last several staffs--I know the trend of CFB is to go hurry up to keep the defense on the field, but I just can't figure out why we insist on doing that. Run two good plays instead of getting into 3rd and 9 drive after drive. It also gets us a ton of penalties.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:27 am This has been a thing with the last several staffs--I know the trend of CFB is to go hurry up to keep the defense on the field, but I just can't figure out why we insist on doing that. Run two good plays instead of getting into 3rd and 9 drive after drive. It also gets us a ton of penalties.
That is true for sure. Resting the defense is a necessity too. THey might as well start to tinker with the formula, because it has been a bad one this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Keep it within 2 scores @ ksu and v either UT or TCU.
Keep it within 1 score or win @ TTU.

Then at least there is something.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Texas Tech is kind of stinky.