Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:07 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:05 pm I just hope we don’t end up with Lou Holtz
Although, I'd be OK with Skip Holtz, if he could fit in culturally.
Man he's a tough one. Good coach, doesn't venture far from the southeast.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:07 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:05 pm I just hope we don’t end up with Lou Holtz
Although, I'd be OK with Skip Holtz, if he could fit in culturally.
Man he's a tough one. Good coach, doesn't venture far from the southeast.
That might fit hand in hand with the culture thing. IDK, people shouldn't be judged by their parents' actions, though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Miles getting $1,991,062.50 from KU.

Better than the $6M he was owed.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Jesse said he was owed $8m, and all of the hush clauses are included, of course.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:44 pm Miles getting $1,991,062.50 from KU.

Better than the $6M he was owed.
Best news I have heard all day.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Even better. What they should have done with Beaty. But nooooooooooo...

I seriously think KU is going to shell out 2.5M to a coach this year. Don’t think they’ll go interim.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just spitballing, because we'll never know, but a low settlement, no "for cause" trigger pulling, could it be:

Long: "You didn't disclose!"

Les: "You never asked!"

No one looks good there. Rip it up, go to the next chapter.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Barring anything crazy this ends the Les Miles era but the Jeff Long era lives on for one more hire. Based on the names that Dodd threw out maybe this whole scandal was a blessing in disguise because the names being throw out are WAY, WAY better than I expected.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

tempered expectations
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:10 pm
defixione wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 pm

I am 1000% for getting her into the program in some capacity.
Isn't she from Hesston? I think I know her dad.
Correct. Her and her twin sister, Liz Sowers. Her dad passed last year I want to say.
Oh, no! I've spent very little time in Hesston since I left home for college in 1969.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

This right here, LSU's long-standing commitment to covering this all up, is going to save Long's job for now.

https://twitter.com/JayhawkTalk/status/ ... 4452552713
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Man, Mellinger and Staples went right at Long.

Sam: Your hires have not been successful, even at Arkansas, why should KU fans trust you to make the right decision?

- valid point, Sam, but I'm not sure it matters at all. What the hell are we going to do to take that decision out of his hands?

Andy: Miles lied to you when he said there was nothing in his past, why is this not a for-cause termination then?

- another valid point, but in what world is Long going to give you a straight answer on that? That answer is buried deep under legalese.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Someone else may have posted this (see below) but I just read it.
If true, how does Long still have a job and why hasn't he been fired for just cause?

Long has an extension built in that comes if Kansas is "placed under any federal, state, NCAA, or Conference investigation leading to restrictions or probation for its football, men's basketball, women's basketball or women's volleyball athletic programs for matters occurring prior to [Long's start date]."

In that event, Long's contract would be "extended equal to the length of the penalties," which could extend his agreement given the Jayhawks are currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation surrounding the men's basketball program with lesser alleged violations for the football program.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm Someone else may have posted this (see below) but I just read it.
If true, how does Long still have a job and why hasn't he been fired for just cause?

Long has an extension built in that comes if Kansas is "placed under any federal, state, NCAA, or Conference investigation leading to restrictions or probation for its football, men's basketball, women's basketball or women's volleyball athletic programs for matters occurring prior to [Long's start date]."

In that event, Long's contract would be "extended equal to the length of the penalties," which could extend his agreement given the Jayhawks are currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation surrounding the men's basketball program with lesser alleged violations for the football program.
Fired for what? That clause is very favorable for Long.

The Adidas stuff occurred prior to Long starting at KU.

This Les Miles stuff will not land KU in any NCAA hot water.
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 pm
Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm Someone else may have posted this (see below) but I just read it.

"Fired for what"? Well, should we start here
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... ssion=true
continue by asking what has Long done good/right while at KU, and end with the fact that he just had to fire his buddy (who KU had to settle with) and said it was the absolutely right thing to do?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm

continue by asking what has Long done good/right while at KU, and end with the fact that he just had to fire his buddy (who KU had to settle with) and said it was the absolutely right thing to do?
I'm just confused. I have been on the Fire Long bandwagon for a long damn time, basically within months of his hiring.

I have no idea why you cite the contract clause and then ask "why hasn't he been fired for just cause?" What does the clause have to do with his firing being past due?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone also needs to get over the whole "There was only one candidate in 2018!" Yeah, no shit, that's why KU hired Jeff Long.

There's no rule written or unwritten saying there has to be a large list of candidates interviewed and all taken seriously. That's college football. I don't like that it is that way, but KU got exactly what it asked for.
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm

I'm just confused. I have been on the Fire Long bandwagon for a long damn time, basically within months of his hiring.

I have no idea why you cite the contract clause and then ask "why hasn't he been fired for just cause?" What does the clause have to do with his firing being past due?
I don't think we're on the same page. Sorry to confuse you. Perhaps I am extremely confused.
I cited the clause because I feel if ever there was a time to fire him, it would be good for KU to fire him before the clause kicked in - if there is in fact justifiable "just cause" to fire him now.
I feel there probably is but of course I'm not a legal expert. Perhaps we should ask Walrus/Lobster?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:56 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm

I don't think we're on the same page. Sorry to confuse you. Perhaps I am extremely confused.
I cited the clause because I feel if ever there was a time to fire him, it would be good for KU to fire him before the clause kicked in - if there is in fact justifiable "just cause" to fire him now.
I feel there probably is but of course I'm not a legal expert. Perhaps we should ask Walrus/Lobster?
Ah. I understand now. Yes, I'm not sure it would matter much in the end, because this Miles thing is going to bury him regardless.

I think the benefit of keeping him throughout the NCAA investigation probably outweighs the potential tack-on contract extension. Just my thoughts, though.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I find it hard to believe Long didn't know about everything that happened at LSU and I find it really hard to believe that if KU wanted Les to stick around bad enough, they'd find a way (and the right words) to keep him.