FUCK ESPN

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: FUCK ESPN

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:16 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:12 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:08 am Again, the egregiousness here is the amount of time. Split screen during free throws, annoying, but whatever. This was probably close to 10 real minutes of important game time.

Also, the size of the split screen--it did not have to be 50/50, the entire thing was on ESPN2. A video of K standing in a building got 1.5 channels. It was like the damn State of the Union.
More people cared about the K coverage than the Texas game.

This isn't hard.
Just because that is true (which, it barely is, check out tv ratings for cbb), it doesn't mean what they did made any sense or wasn't annoying.
That's actually and interesting theory. I'd be curious to see how many people were watching the KU/Texas game at 4:30 compared to the number at 5:05.

Is it possible ESPN has that information, saw a spike and thought "Well, shit, we better at least give something to all these people who tuned in to see this."?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:16 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:04 am Keep telling yourself that and enjoy your tiny cheeseburger. If someone tells me their airing the game, I expect it to be full screen and in its entirety. Especially when that is what's provided to all games already in play the rest of the time.

I hope you don't take this approach with all things. You're likely getting fucked over constantly. You sound like a cuck..."as long as my girl loves me she can fuck whoever she wants". If that's how you live your life go for it. The rest of us expect more.
Kind of like when they tell you they will be airing a certain event at a certain time? By that logic, the people tuning in to see the K ceremony could bitch that the KU game shouldn't have even been shown. At 6PM EST, ESPN should have gone full screen to the K ceremony. That's what they told everyone they were going to be airing at that time.
You're not completely wrong this time, you're doing better.

Yes, they should have aired it on another ESPN, and on ESPN+.

ORRRR.....they could take my advice and not schedule games 2 hours apart when most games last longer than 2 hours. Especially if you think K's last game at Cameron is a big deal, you might want to isolate it further to get more of the pre-game shit.

These are fixable problems.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 amIs it possible ESPN has that information, saw a spike and thought "Well, shit, we better at least give something to all these people who tuned in to see this."?
I'm not a TV ratings expert by any means, but my understanding is that is not how it works at all.

At best, ESPN MIGHT be able to have an idea what their bandwidth is only on their streaming apps.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The Duke jealously confuses me. They have only been relevant for 35ish years. The inferiority complex when it comes to all things Duke is unwarranted and silly for Kansas people.

Seems like some of you are mostly just salty because K and Duke got some special coverage since many people view his retirement as a really big deal because he's one of the most famous coaches of all time.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 am So, in the best possible light for ESPNDilly, ESPN knew beforehand that it would show all of the K's pregame bullshit because of some mythical ratings bonanza, meaning they still fucked it up by not better staggering the games.
I think it has less to do with a hypothetical ratings bonanza and more to go with good old fashioned chumminess and cross-pollination.

But absolutely - there would have been nothing wrong with providing for (1) a 7:30pm ET tip and (2) a 7:00pm ET scheduled K-blowing on ESPN2, or News, or whatever.

Point is, there were many many ways to handle this in a way that gave everyone what they wanted...and ESPN chose one of the dumber ways to accomplish it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The game tip stuff is talked about every year.

It just shows how superior CBS/Turner is at this stuff.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am The Duke jealously confuses me. They have only been relevant for 35ish years. The inferiority complex when it comes to all things Duke is unwarranted and silly for Kansas people.

Seems like some of you are mostly just salty because K and Duke got some special coverage since many people view his retirement as a really big deal because he's one of the most famous coaches of all time.
Jesus fucking Christ, people have said - out loud - what they're salty over.

I was watching the game at a bar. Our portion of the screen was borderline indecipherable during the split screen. Were I watching on my phone or iPad or computer, result would have been the same.

There was no reason to do this the way it was done.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:18 pm Just another day at the office for illy.
Someone is upset about Coach K on a Kansas message bored?
Here I come to save the day!!!!
and it continues

talk about melting down…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:25 am The Duke jealously confuses me. They have only been relevant for 35ish years. The inferiority complex when it comes to all things Duke is unwarranted and silly for Kansas people.

Guys, he's just here to discuss KU hoops. No other reason.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Seems like some of you are mostly just salty because K and Duke got some special coverage and people view his retirement as a really big deal because he's one of the most famous coaches of all time.
It's more of a service/product/consumer issue for me. These are things I've posted about for years. Just happens to be dook right now. The fact that it was handled differently is just gas on the flame if anything.

You trying to make KU fans look bad though has been going on for almost half a decade. It's not confusing at all, it's just part of your uninteresting schtick. You're spinning it to try to make KU fans look bad. That's all you ever do. Doesn't it ever get old?

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am The game tip stuff is talked about every year.

That's it, when you see it done the right way, and you know it's possible there's no excuse.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am The game tip stuff is talked about every year.

That's it, when you see it done the right way, and you know it's possible there's no excuse.
If you want to talk about what people care about, every year CBS successfully shows college basketball and NFL Playoffs on the same day.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am

I was watching the game at a bar. Our portion of the screen was borderline indecipherable during the split screen. Were I watching on my phone or iPad or computer, result would have been the same.

It's not difficult to understand for KU fans.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am

It's not difficult to understand for KU fans.
It doesn't even make sense to try to spin it into a jealousy thing, because, as I've mentioned, this wasn't good for dook or dook fans either. They had no audio and only a tiny screen with K on it and it was intermittent. It was bad for both fan bases and anyone casually tuning in.

And even the split screen itself sucked. They had a large graphical border around the two tiny screens. They didn't even try to maximize the space for two screens. It wasn't like either screen took up half the normal width. It was just a fail in every possible way.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:12 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:08 am Again, the egregiousness here is the amount of time. Split screen during free throws, annoying, but whatever. This was probably close to 10 real minutes of important game time.

Also, the size of the split screen--it did not have to be 50/50, the entire thing was on ESPN2. A video of K standing in a building got 1.5 channels. It was like the damn State of the Union.
More people cared about the K coverage than the Texas game.

This isn't hard.
Then they should have given themselves a 30 minute later start time to ensure that they got to cover every step that Coach K took in full screen detail and sound.

My general complaint here is that ESPN just doesn't pay enough attention to the quality of the college basketball content they they provide. They don't give a shit that the content they produce is constantly fucked up; misses beginnings/endings of games or fails to deliver on the big event that they have been constantly talking about. Their only goal is to squeeze it into the smallest box possible so they can get back to things they feel has more value.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:52 pm And even the split screen itself sucked. They had a large graphical border around the two tiny screens. They didn't even try to maximize the space for two screens. It wasn't like either screen took up half the normal width. It was just a fail in every possible way.
This is the problem with a 16:9 split screen, each split by 50%.
You loose watchable space.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I had to watch replays much later to see some of the action that was blurred into a tiny mess. It was so silly. Why not push the air time back on a game they obviously thought was a ratings gem? They aren't ESPN's 30 for 30 on diminished coaching legends. Our game went into overtime when Och pushed himself to the ground with Ramey's open palm. It was exciting CBB which everyone but Illy and Gutter want to see.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:17 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:52 pm And even the split screen itself sucked. They had a large graphical border around the two tiny screens. They didn't even try to maximize the space for two screens. It wasn't like either screen took up half the normal width. It was just a fail in every possible way.
This is the problem with a 16:9 split screen, each split by 50%.
You loose watchable space.
Obviously you're going to loose a lot vertically but they didn't even max out the width. I had espn graphix wrapped around both so there was room to make the screens wider that was unused.

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

My guess is the reason they force games in at 6pm 8pm 10pm most nights even though those games likely will take 2hr15min+ is totally $$$ related.

The die hards like us who watch every minute of every game are in the minority. Thankfully Kansas gets great coverage relative to CBB as a whole, even though ESPN+ sucks sometimes and split screens suck and missing the first part of the game sucks.