Overlander
Contributor

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by Overlander »

Posting a question is a hot take?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

HD and KM are 1a and 1b. Nitpicking to decide "who is the best". I know that they make each other better and fit very well with DH and Kj.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:40 pm Yo, you also said there was no way McCullar was coming back this year...
At one point bill self thought the same thing. That's why he let him give a senior night speech last season

First player in KU basketball history with 2 senior night speeches
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:46 pm HD and KM are 1a and 1b. Nitpicking to decide "who is the best". I know that they make each other better and fit very well with DH and Kj.
So far this season, you could say hunter Dickinson is playing the best basketball of any center self has had. And mccullar is playing the best basketball of any wing self has ever had.

At the same time on the same team. We are blessed
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:05 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:08 pm Hot take: is mccullar the best player on the team? Just named national player of the week last week
Back to back triple doubles which hadn't been done by ANY college player in over a decade and was kind of our only bright spot in that Marquette game
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0NDAvug2jN ... QzNmJjMA==
My hot take of mccullar being the best player of this team is looking better every week. He's dominant on both sides of the ball. The dude had 4 fouls with 8 minutes left, self left him in and he delivered
Randy, sometimes I don't think your mastery of such a wide range of subjects, including predicting the future, gets the recognition it deserves!

Charles Barkley and Muggsy Bogues, 1993.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:55 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:46 pm HD and KM are 1a and 1b. Nitpicking to decide "who is the best". I know that they make each other better and fit very well with DH and Kj.
So far this season, you could say hunter Dickinson is playing the best basketball of any center self has had. And mccullar is playing the best basketball of any wing self has ever had.

At the same time on the same team. We are blessed
What?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yea....I dunno about all that..
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

What wing has Self had that was more productive than mccullar? And elite on both ends of the floor
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:26 pm What wing has Self had that was more productive than mccullar? And elite on both ends of the floor
JFC
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:31 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:26 pm What wing has Self had that was more productive than mccullar? And elite on both ends of the floor
JFC
Name one

Ochai is probably the closest. Better shooter. But mccullar is a better rebounder passer defender and ball handler. We are watching a point forward that does everything and is the most versatile player on the court on BOTH sides of the basketball
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

McCullar is putting up crazy good numbers.

He is also probably not top 5 wings during the Self era when it comes to high level talent. Marcus Morris is the best wing during the Self era. Wiggins Rush and McLemore follow.

McCullar is in the perfect place at the perfect time. We'd be lost without him this year. 28% usage rate and still maintaining a 57% eFG....for reference last year Jalen was 30% usage rate and 49% eFG....the prior year Och was 25% usage rate and 57% eFG.

Side note: Hunter Dickenson has a 68% eFG this year. That's insane. And the guy leads the country in rebounds per game iirc.

I think these two could end up as one of the best single season KU duos of the Self era.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Marcus Morris didn’t really play wing.
Not in the mood to argue it with you ever.
But I’m right.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Here goes 4 pages, minimum
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Wiggins wasn't even close to as good at KU as what mccullar has been so far this season. That's easy to eliminate. Same with mcclemore. Both were explosive exciting athletes but not even close to complete players like we are seeing with mccullar
Last edited by randylahey on Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And no, Marcus Morris wasn't really a wing at KU. It was back in the days of the high low set and Morris played primarily inside the arc
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Brandon rush or ochai or the only guys I'd compare to what we are getting from mccullar so far this season. But mccullar is a more complete player than either
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

3 posts in 2 minutes.
HOF type performance
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:50 pm Marcus Morris didn’t really play wing.
Fair and true (at KU).

But he is a wing. McCullar was a wing last year even though he played the 4 a lot. So for purposes of the analysis I think they are worthy of comparison if we are ranking this type of Self era player.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He didn’t really play wing at KU or in the NBA but I could be wrong but im definitely not.