What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

What I was looking forward to (prior to knowing the performers) turned in to a strong - no thanks.
Basically musical diarrhea to me.

AT&T PLAYOFF PLAYLIST LIVE!

AT&T Playoff Playlist Live! will bring a weekend of music to Los Angeles, serving as the soundtrack for the 2023 College Football Playoff National Championship. The free concerts will take place in Los Angeles' Banc of California Stadium leading up to the national championship game, set for Monday, January 9, at SoFi Stadium.

The weekend's initial needle-drop takes place on the AT&T Playoff Playlist Live! stage on Saturday, January 7 with performances by multi-platinum selling global superstars, the Jonas Brothers and platinum-selling Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter, Em Beihold. The music continues Sunday, January 8, with international superstar and GRAMMY®-award winner Pitbull and multi-platinum 2023 GRAMMY® nominee GAYLE.

Gates for AT&T Playoff Playlist Live! will open at 6 p.m. PT each day at Banc of California Stadium. Fans will need to pre-register for event tickets online beginning Friday, December 2 at 10 a.m. PT. Access on the day of the concert will be on a first-come, first-served basis based on your digital ticket.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

concert tickets are too expensive. the good folks have been priced out. rich boomers are the only people that can afford to go to concerts.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I’m no boomer, but I feel confident that I can go see whoever the fuck I want in concert.
It’s up me to decide if I want to buy the ticket or not.

I have never judged a show by the fees applied
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:12 pm I’m no boomer
Generation Names and Dates

The Greatest Generation (GI Generation): Born 1901–1924.

The Silent Generation: Born 1928–1945.

Baby Boom Generation: Born 1946–1964.

Generation X: Born 1965–1980.

Millennial Generation or Generation Y: Born 1981–1996.

Generation Z or iGen: Born 1997–
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I stand corrected
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

You're a boomer Jeeper?
I would have guessed you're an Xer.

Getting back to concerts. I have friends who attend musical performances multiple times a week. Usually costs them less to attend than it costs me to buy my lunch. That being said, the problem today is that I would estimate more than 50% of the tickets being bought for major acts are being bought by people looking to re-sell them at a profit. Also, some of the "face values" for some concerts is absolutely obscene and I actually agree with MICH in that a lot of "good folks" are priced out.
Meanwhile, very few people are forced to buy a concert ticket if they don't want to.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:08 am You're a boomer Jeeper?
Barely. Just turned 58.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Read this story this morning.......

Arthur Lee Land

Epic Story Alert: I first met Bobby Georges and Paul Bolger of Mr. Blotto at an Uncle Jon’s Band gig @ Orphan’s in Chicago during early 1990 when I played in that band for about 8 months. After our set Bobby found me a said “You’re an amazing player, but your tone could use some work!” Ooh, you went right to my guitar geek jugular vein. We talked shop and you told me you couldn’t figure out how I was getting all those country pedal steel sounds and how I was bending strings without moving my fingers. I told you I had a Joe Glaser B-String Bender. You had no idea! You then said “If you pay for the parts, I’ll build you a rig! Come see me at my new shop Ion Audio on Cicero.”
Paul then gave me your new business card that said “Keep your ear on Ion Audio.”
So Carol Lee and I drove down from our pad in Rogers Park to Ion Audio and Paul was running the front of house while you the mad scientist were in back. Paul took me back and you were at work at your bench. Then I see these two water stained 4x12 Fender speaker cabs stacked on each other with two Fender Twin chassis’ in a homemade rack case on top with some old 80’s rack effects surrounded by a grave yard of cigarette butts on the cement floor. I looked at the rig and was like “Really?” Then you plugged in your Les Paul and proceeded to smoke me with a heady jazz fusion Steely Dan solo note for note with the most unbelievable creamy Marshally overdriven tone coming out of that sad looking rig! I said to you “I want that!!” and you proceeded to march around in a circle stomping on your cigarette butts with your peculiar laugh and said “Yeah you do!!”
You then launched into your plan: “You’ll need two amps, so go get another Fender Super Reverb, like the one you have, but get some clean, eminence speakers for that one. Throw away your crappy, Boss digital multi-effects unit and buy these cheap Digitech rack units from the 80s like I have. Come back and see me when you have that taken care of and I’ll set you up.”
It didn’t take me long to get the gear together. Carol Lee would come with me and she would hang out with Paul in the front while you and I were in back going deep into Tech-land. When you finished the mods and got the rig up and running, you had me play through it with my 1955 Fender B-Bender Telecaster that Carol Lee had just painted for the first time a few months earlier. I would give you feedback on the tones I was looking for and you would literally change out resistors and capacitors while I was plugged in based on my feedback. At one point you turned to me and said. “You’re the only guy I know who’s more anal about his tone than I am!” True dat.
All the time I was there tweeking on the rig you would be listening intently to my country influenced B-Bender Tele riffs and we’d share our viewpoints, riffs and guitar geek knowledge. It was unbeknownst to me at that time you would be soaking up that influence via osmosis into your playing on your Les Paul. It wasn’t until the first time I heard the Mr. Blotto debut album Parking Karma in 1992 that I thought about calling the Chicago Police on you for stealing my Tele licks that I stole from Ray Flacke and Albert Lee but I figured it definitely was not gonna hold up in court! lol
The rig you built me was by far the most epic rig I have ever had (and I’ve had plenty)…loud AF…no master volume on both amps giving me both dirty and clean tone for days and Jon Gram endless headaches! The only downside was that YOU were the ONLY one who could provide the tech support to keep it up and running and when I left UJB and moved to Minneapolis MN in the fall of 1990 the rig slowly unraveled. Paul Bolger still has the Marshall modded Super I sold him but the rest is gone with the wind the only history I know left of it is probably captured on some cassette tapes of live UJB shows from that short window of March to September 1990 somewhere in a box in my basement.
Without a doubt you Bob Georges are a musical AND tech genius. You once told me the Mr Blotto PA rig that you built from scratch after seeing the Grateful Dead live for the first time in the early 90’s was just “One big guitar amp!” It was one of the most amazing things to hear and see you run this rig FROM STAGE LEFT with a computer in the mid 90’s surrounded by your infamous nightly cigarette butt graveyard. You turned an acoustic nightmare club like the Cubby Bear into the best sounding room with the clarity and nuance of a mid-70’s Grateful Dead show at Chicago’s Auditorium or Uptown Theater. Seriously it was that good bruh!
As with so many neurodivergent musical genius’s the light of your amazing gifts came with a price: the shadow of addiction and trying to find one’s balance inside the dance of art/business and one’s own self esteem when dealing with such a high level of the creative flow, technical & mathematical nuance, raising the bar so high that trying to maintain it became its own nightmare. I knew but a fragment of your demons and I struggle myself coping with my own neurodivergent learning disabilities, bouts of depression and addictive behaviors.
I’m telling you (and everyone who’s reading) this story to honor you, Bob, my friend, as a collaborator in the search of epic guitar tones, creative freedom/expression and balance in life inside all the struggles we’ve had and still face.
Thank you for inviting me into your world and onstage so many times with the band to share in the musical conversation of Mr. Blotto. It was always an honor to play with you, Paul, Mike, Dave and Alan. I found this video from 1996 that highlights your generosity onstage with me and captures the magic between us.
You will always be MISTER Blotto to me: An Exquisite Artist/Musician, Sound Engineer, Producer, Arranger, Songwriter, Collaborator, Teacher, Student, Master of Tone & Nuance, Mad Scientist/Acoustic Mathematician, Amp/Sound System/Circuit Builder and last but not least a Business Mentor (Who has one of your crew members count the cases of beer coming into the bar during load in to figure out how much fans drink per head at your sold out shows so you can use that info to leverage getting a % of the bar on top of 100% of the door? WTF? Who did that in the mid 90’s?? Bobby MF Georges that’s who!!!!)
Happy Birthday my brother! I love and appreciate you beyond measure!
Quantum Love from Colorado!
Oh and thank you David B. Allen for your BG birthday post that inspired me to tell this story.

This is one of their originals.....
That's Arthur at the 5:25 mark. If you know Bobby, that's a ton of love and respect to let Arthur have the solo. Look at how much fun they are having at the 7:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbyRiguPFo

I've posted this before but it's a nice example of what Bobby does and the sound he creates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpxzEsJnMxs
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://youtu.be/CnqpGV8fqVw

throwback

Roger Troutman makes this song
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What do you guys think the over/under is on how many times the average Merican hears that Mariah Carey Christmas song each season?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »