Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm Sorry to divert from the Alaska talk, but I didn't know where else to put this. Sound up!

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 1322167297
Buried the lede on this one -- which is that the tweeter of this video is none other than the man who proved that Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson were lying -- with a 39" or 40" vertical (if I recall correctly).

Also, his pinned tweet is epic.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 1945275393
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:01 am
chiknbut wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm Sorry to divert from the Alaska talk, but I didn't know where else to put this. Sound up!

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 1322167297
Buried the lede on this one -- which is that the tweeter of this video is none other than the man who proved that Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson were lying -- with a 39" or 40" vertical (if I recall correctly).

Also, his pinned tweet is epic.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 1945275393
Last clip provides conclusive proof that Danny Ferry has a vag.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Nvm. He wouldn’t understand.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely, or is that just me randomly in need of addressing what might be a legit mental breakdown?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 pm Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely, or is that just me randomly in need of addressing what might be a legit mental breakdown?

A version of this but not a backpack. I often think and plot a way to sell most things, purchasing some land in the backcountry of montana or idaho and build a log cabin. Disappearing from the world.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 pm Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely, or is that just me randomly in need of addressing what might be a legit mental breakdown?

A version of this but not a backpack. I often think and plot a way to sell most things, purchasing some land in the backcountry of montana or idaho and build a log cabin. Disappearing from the world.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea, like that, but without the bombings.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Do people still go see Vespers at KU? I miss that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shakespeare was right about what to do with all the lawyers.

Except for Fish, CnB, Leawood, and...this guy:

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/12/small-f ... otiations/
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

I've never really binge-watched anything before and since there was such an accumulation of things people were telling me I "should see," I decided to power through Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

There's probably some people out there who claim BCS is better than BB - and they would be wrong. But BCS is really, really, really good.

Now I have to wait til February for new episodes?

I need a new show, btw.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’d ya think of BB?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 pm Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely?
Very normal. Pretty common escape thinking, I'll wager. Backpack, duffel, car, tear-drop trailer, tiny house, etc. Back in the day, a Chevy van. Take yr pick.

Any number of levels of minimalism are appealing.

There's always some comfort in believing one could minimize, survive, and thrive, right?

Then, you find you need just a little more, and a bit more, and a touch more, and...<poof>

... you've got an apt. full of crap.
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

...so, long story short...no mental breakdown.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I would think the FBI and DEA would be more concerned with the guns (and metal piercing bullets) and the 70 pounds of weed then they would be with some percocet but what the f do I know?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened-abo ... 47273.html
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 pm Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely?
Very normal. Pretty common escape thinking, I'll wager. Backpack, duffel, car, tear-drop trailer, tiny house, etc. Back in the day, a Chevy van. Take yr pick.

There's always some comfort in believing one could minimize, survive, and thrive, right?

Then, you find you need just a little more, and a bit more, and a touch more, and...<poof>

I think the book is "Into the Wild," right? Well worth the read for anyone with these types of thoughts.

A real eye opener about how many people share this same interest. Something very attractive about being "off the grid." The trouble comes from the people who take it a bit too seriously and end up dying as they decide to ascend Mt. McKinley.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:02 pm What’d ya think of BB?
I liked it so much I was incredibly disappointed it had to end.

Hence my eagerness to start Better Call Saul and El Camino.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:42 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 pm

I think the book is "Into the Wild," right? Well worth the read for anyone with these types of thoughts.

A real eye opener about how many people share this same interest. Something very attractive about being "off the grid." The trouble comes from the people who take it a bit too seriously and end up dying as they decide to ascend Mt. McKinley.

^^^

Krakauer's "Into the Wild", and "Into Thin Air", were both a pleasure to read.

(Random review I happened to come across, that seemed to fit your point.)

On May 12th, 1990 Chris graduated from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

He arrives in Nevada on July 6th and abandons his yellow datsun after a flood to begin his journey on foot.

He hitchhikes to numerous amounts of places before arriving in Alaska in April 1992.

Jon Krakauer's purpose for writing "Into the Wild" was to explain exactly what happened to Chris on the trail and find a motive for why Chris decided to do this.

Jon Krakauer intended to motivate young readers to shed society's materialism and do what makes them happy by providing justification for Chris's actions.

Quote : “Make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt." -Jon Krakauer

"Into the wild" by Jon Krakauer is about a young man named Christopher McCandless who hitchhiked into the wild on a journey to Alaska in April 1992. He encountered many people who were nice and willing to help him. The story was written to explain the puzzling circumstances of Chris's death after he was found in an abandoned bus.

Another main idea is sometimes people may be pushed over the edge by our materialistic society to discover his/her true identity, which can only be found by going back to nature where your status is not important.

You will not be judged when you are in the wild. This trip changes Chris's perspective on life.

Quote : “The trip was to be an odyssey in the fullest sense of the word, an epic journey that would change everything.” -Jon Krakauer

One main idea in the story is ultimate freedom that Chris McCandless is searching for. He wants to have independence and be free from other people's rules and authority over him. The author conveys that this level of freedom requires complete isolation.

Quote : "’He always wore shoes without socks – just plain couldn’t stand to wear socks. But McDonald’s has a rule that employees have to wear appropriate footwear at all times. That means shoes and socks. Chris would comply with the rule, but as soon as his shift was over, bang! – the first thing he’d do is peel those socks off…kind of like a statement, to let us know we didn’t own him, I guess’" -McDonald's coworker.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Is "Into the Wild" really a good citation here?

That guy ended up being a poor researcher and unprepared.

Oh, and dead.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:17 pm Is "Into the Wild" really a good citation here?

That guy ended up being a poor researcher and unprepared.

Oh, and dead.
To me, the question was: "Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely...

And a good part of Krakauer's "Into the Wild" deals with that impulse.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas