Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:51 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:30 pm part of me was surprised ta&m didn’t vote against ut/ou too

i said before that i think their public vote may have been more about league perception

if ut/ou vote no, i’d think they get hammered in the court of public opinion...not that it would matter much
It's different, though. I think the members of the public that want the Big 12 to succeed already hate OU and UT.

And, I don't know how much public opinion is worth, but I know that $80 million is worth $80 million.

If the vote really is a fait accompli, then there's no upside for TU/OU in casting "no" votes; especially with TX legislators, pundits and high school recruit-pools anxious to see how things turn out for TTU and Houston.
Agree with your bolded, but I have no idea if the assumption it is based on is, in fact, true.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:33 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:51 pm

It's different, though. I think the members of the public that want the Big 12 to succeed already hate OU and UT.

And, I don't know how much public opinion is worth, but I know that $80 million is worth $80 million.

If the vote really is a fait accompli, then there's no upside for TU/OU in casting "no" votes; especially with TX legislators, pundits and high school recruit-pools anxious to see how things turn out for TTU and Houston.
Agree with your bolded, but I have no idea if the assumption it is based on is, in fact, true.
Me neither, hence "if", but I was taking Sparko's post to mean it might be...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
shindig

Post by shindig »

Still not sure I'm happy about the direction the Big12 is headed. I think it's just a matter of time before another school (hopefully KU to the B1G) is announced, but I doubt it. The Big12 should just go all in and get to 16 schools, maybe add Memphis, Colorado St., SMU, and one other team. So many few options at this point. Sad.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Saw this somewhere, but I can't give credit because I don't remember where I saw it..

KU and Iowa State pushing to the other 6 Big 12 schools to add 4 even though they are losing 2.

Rest of the 6 ask "Why the need to add 4 when 10 is a good number for us?"

KU and Iowa State "No reason at all. Just feel like it'll be a good number for the future."
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm Saw this somewhere, but I can't give credit because I don't remember where I saw it..

KU and Iowa State pushing to the other 6 Big 12 schools to add 4 even though they are losing 2.

KU and Iowa State "No reason at all. Just feel like it'll be a good number for the future."
Hopefully, reading between the lines, KU and Iowa State know something is up...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm Saw this somewhere, but I can't give credit because I don't remember where I saw it..

Hopefully, reading between the lines, KU and Iowa State know something is up...
I mean. It was a bit tongue and cheek, but still kind of funny. And could be the case.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

ACC/PAC schools make more than $23 million each on their TV deals, right?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:18 pm
ACC/PAC schools make more than $23 million each on their TV deals, right?
i thought they did

this is the article i saw the tweet in originally:

https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/7/226595 ... tom-holmoe

According to USA Today, the most recent payouts per Power Five league were:

1. Big Ten: $54.3 million

2. SEC: $45.5 million

3. Big 12: $38 million

4. Pac-12: $33.6 million

5. ACC: $33 million

not sure where that other number came from
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The dude is kind of a cross between tmcats and Mike Vernon, so keep that in mind.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Remember, bowls and basketball also are on top of TV money. I had heard that the PAC is very paltry for TV money.
Deleted User 89

some interesting historical stuff in here, and potential downstream implications of the SEC/Big 12 expansions

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... structure/
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

before those two bolted for the sec, the BIG 12 was the 3rd best football conference. after we add those 4, the BIG 12 will be the 3rd best football conference.
Deleted User 89

as of right now, maybe

can cincy and usf continue their success, and houston improve? that’ll be key. i’m not at all worried about BYU, in either revenue sport...they’ll hold their own just fine, and will likely be in the running for the conference fb championship regularly

usc and the other powers in the Pac12 will return to their previous form...that seems almost certain
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm as of right now, maybe

can cincy and usf continue their success, and houston improve? that’ll be key. i’m not at all worried about BYU, in either revenue sport...they’ll hold their own just fine, and will likely be in the running for the conference fb championship regularly

usc and the other powers in the Pac12 will return to their previous form...that seems almost certain
You've gotta think their chances of staying good improve by being in bigger conferences, with more exposure and more money.

Maybe not strictly in terms of W-L record. I mean, Cincy has some 10+ win seasons, I don't think 10 Wins in the American is the same as 10 in the Big12.

But better overall, better athletes, etc.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If we are going to endure new schools for a handful of seasons, can we at least get some decent road trips? 3 unspectacular secondary cities and an admittedly good winter destination in Utah, but surrounded by weirdos.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Chili on spaghetti bro.

Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:18 pm If we are going to endure new schools for a handful of seasons, can we at least get some decent road trips? 3 unspectacular secondary cities and an admittedly good winter destination in Utah, but surrounded by weirdos.
i wouldn’t be too quick to have Provo at the top of that list...presuming the west stops burning sometime soon, we might be lucky to get a few weeks of clear weather before the winter inversion kicks in and traps all the pollution in valley

but, i’d love to be able to drive 45 minutes to watch the Hawks put a beatdown on the cougs
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

But that's kinda why I don't get the USF thing. The other schools have all at least been near P5 level for a long time. USF hasn't and has never had sustained success. They make less sense geographically than the other. And aren't a great destination.

Should get SDSU or UNLV as long as we're ignoring geography.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am in for Skyline Chili and the Hawks so long as 99 drives up and pays.