Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Totally random thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Feral wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:17 pm Is "Into the Wild" really a good citation here?

That guy ended up being a poor researcher and unprepared.

Oh, and dead.
To me, the question was: "Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely...

And a good part of Krakauer's "Into the Wild" deals with that impulse.
I just don't want ousdahl to die over spontaneity or a 1/3 life crisis.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:51 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:17 pm Is "Into the Wild" really a good citation here?

Oh, and dead.
To me, the question was: "Does anyone else regularly think about giving up all their material possessions and living out of a backpack indefinitely...

I just don't want ousdahl to die over spontaneity or a 1/3 life crisis.
Not to worry. The Tertiary Syphilis will likely do him in before he sets off on his quest.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Oh, and dead.

It's an excellent citation in that the main character's tragic tale is only part of the book. I thought the most fascinating part was the study about how many other people were willing to go "off the grid" with such little regard for their own safety. The main character in the book has a very tragic story. But Into the Wild spends a lot of time talking about others who have done similar journeys with similar and more tragic results.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I read the book, I just don't want ousdahl to read it. Assuming he can read.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

The primary takeaway from Into the Wild is that it is possible to be smart and also be completely lacking in common sense.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 pm The primary takeaway from Into the Wild is that it is possible to be smart and also be completely lacking in common sense.
Some truth to this. But to me it seemed like the people who were searching for a life off the grid were malcontents at best and likely psychologically damaged. Incapable of common sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority of the people who died in their attempts to scale Mt. McKinley were on the autism spectrum.

Obviously that's more psych's department than mine.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:10 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 pm The primary takeaway from Into the Wild is that it is possible to be smart and also be completely lacking in common sense.
Some truth to this. But to me it seemed like the people who were searching for a life off the grid were malcontents at best and likely psychologically damaged. Incapable of common sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority of the people who died in their attempts to scale Mt. McKinley were on the autism spectrum.

I was half joking, but common sense is more earned through mistakes than inherited. Had Chris McCandless somehow survived, he would have emerged much wiser and more cautious. His Achilles heel was his “go big or go home” mentality. Some of that was his age, some was personality, some was testosterone, and some was childhood trauma. I use the book in my Developmental Psych class, and it always fascinates me how differently I interpret the book vs. a room full of 19 and 20 year-olds.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

My wife and I travel off grid quite a bit.

We do it with an off road, off grid camper trailer....but we do stay out for about a week at a time.

We really enjoy going places that the majority of people couldn't get to if they wanted to.

Seeing the sun set and rise in places like Moab, Death Valley, Big Bear and even Baja have been highlights of our late years.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Wtf. This is a ridiculous statement.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I hope he hasn't run out of ideas. But this for me, is not encouraging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 10 | Official Trailer | HBO
Sunday, January 19 at 10:30PM. #HBO #CurbYourEnthusiasm
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Perhaps hiking one of the long trails is a safer, but nearly as rewarding, feat.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

as long as one of those cabins has WiFi I can poach, so as to periodically check in on the satellite boards.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but I’ve been thinking about this a lot. It might make more sense to do it later in life.

I don’t wanna wait around getting so old that I just sit in a nursing home loosing my mind and paying like $9 grand a month to have somebody wipe my ass. I’d rather live an adventure until I die from the elements.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually I’d rather get going sooner than later.

I’m gonna camp in the Maine woods behind pwhitt’s house and steal his leftovers from Olive Garden, so please a kind soul and fill up an extra carry out box with endless pasta.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:39 pm ous 30 years from now:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ds-finkel/
Wow.

Peter Brady looks like shit.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Dr Pimple Popper makes my teeth itch.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

she’s hot

what she does would turn my stomach
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Regarding Dr. Pimple Popper, I look at it this way: If she is willing to do that, what other seemingly filthy things is she willing to do?