Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:26 pm But that's kinda why I don't get the USF thing. The other schools have all at least been near P5 level for a long time. USF hasn't and has never had sustained success. They make less sense geographically than the other. And aren't a great destination.

Should get SDSU or UNLV as long as we're ignoring geography.
I haven't paid too close of attention, but the early name I heard was UCF, not USF.

UCF would at least have direct flights from every city in the world and recently won the national championship in football.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:18 pm If we are going to endure new schools for a handful of seasons, can we at least get some decent road trips? 3 unspectacular secondary cities and an admittedly good winter destination in Utah, but surrounded by weirdos.
i wouldn’t be too quick to have Provo at the top of that list...presuming the west stops burning sometime soon, we might be lucky to get a few weeks of clear weather before the winter inversion kicks in and traps all the pollution in valley

but, i’d love to be able to drive 45 minutes to watch the Hawks put a beatdown on the cougs
Close enough to Park City, though, for families to do a long weekend.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:18 pm If we are going to endure new schools for a handful of seasons, can we at least get some decent road trips? 3 unspectacular secondary cities and an admittedly good winter destination in Utah, but surrounded by weirdos.
i wouldn’t be too quick to have Provo at the top of that list...presuming the west stops burning sometime soon, we might be lucky to get a few weeks of clear weather before the winter inversion kicks in and traps all the pollution in valley

but, i’d love to be able to drive 45 minutes to watch the Hawks put a beatdown on the cougs
Close enough to Park City, though, for families to do a long weekend.
very true
Deleted User 89

the justification for UCF i’ve read is size...70k enrollment

plus recruiting ground

outside of that, i don’t see the benefit
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pmthe justification for UCF i’ve read is size...70k enrollment
Commuter school.

While different, ASU boasts 100k undergrad enrollment, but when you're on their campus, it definitely doesn't feel like that.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:29 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:26 pm But that's kinda why I don't get the USF thing. The other schools have all at least been near P5 level for a long time. USF hasn't and has never had sustained success. They make less sense geographically than the other. And aren't a great destination.

Should get SDSU or UNLV as long as we're ignoring geography.
I haven't paid too close of attention, but the early name I heard was UCF, not USF.

UCF would at least have direct flights from every city in the world and recently won the national championship in football.
even more of a johnny come lately. Frost and Heupel had success there...and I guess Malzahn could be a good hire, but not exactly a rich history. Not very good at hoops either.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Michael Jordan's kid played there.

These are crap schools, with the exception of BYU, which comes with its own different baggage.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The demographics of universities and America are changing. The Land Grant schools had their time of derision too. Probably never ended based on the B1G banter.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Yeah. I don't think the 12 is in a landscape where it can say "okay, these are the schools or prgms that we can add, that'll be home-runs"...

They'll have to be fwd-looking, and ask "what schools have a predictable potential to be resilient, robust partners at some point in [some time-frame]?"

UCF seems strong taken that way, as do UH and Cincy. Within reasonably short time-frames, I mean

What I know abt BYU is what I've read in this thread, mostly
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I'm good with BYU for the most part, the other 3 schools lower the value of the Big XII name in my opinion, but at this point, who else can you go get?

Seriously though, f*ck OU and Texas (and Fizzou, A&M, Colorado, & Nebraska).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The new four are better than Nebraska, Missouri A&M and Colorado will be for a long time.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:10 pm The new four are better than Nebraska, Missouri A&M and Colorado will be for a long time.
You’re not serious.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:10 pm The new four are better than Nebraska, Missouri A&M and Colorado will be for a long time.
You’re not serious.
He is. Sparko lives in an alternate universe.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This universe. Is shifting. There is PR and then there are teams who are now permanent also rans. Newton himself is focused on soccer as are a lot of Americans. Football is an expensive diversion
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:05 pm Seriously though, f*ck OU and Texas (and Fizzou, A&M, Colorado, & Nebraska).
Why though? They did what was best for them. We'd gladly change places with any of them. And on the daily we are suggesting leaving the big12 to do the same thing they did, abandon the remaining conference members.

If someone has a chance to go to the SEC or Big10 it is awfully hard to find fault in them for upgrading to a better conference.

Big12 will get 4 new teams. And the big12 will still be the 4th or 5th best conference yearly. We lose a little money without OU and Texas, but oh well. Something tells me that we will still be making plenty of money.
Deleted User 89

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:05 pm I'm good with BYU for the most part, the other 3 schools lower the value of the Big XII name in my opinion, but at this point, who else can you go get?

Seriously though, f*ck OU and Texas (and Fizzou, A&M, Colorado, & Nebraska).
i’d say fuck the SEC more than any particular school
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 am
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:05 pm Seriously though, f*ck OU and Texas (and Fizzou, A&M, Colorado, & Nebraska).
Why though? They did what was best for them. We'd gladly change places with any of them. And on the daily we are suggesting leaving the big12 to do the same thing they did, abandon the remaining conference members.

If someone has a chance to go to the SEC or Big10 it is awfully hard to find fault in them for upgrading to a better conference.

Big12 will get 4 new teams. And the big12 will still be the 4th or 5th best conference yearly. We lose a little money without OU and Texas, but oh well. Something tells me that we will still be making plenty of money.
In retrospect, they were where they needed to be before they got greedy. They have lost traditional rivals which is most of the point of college athletics. And they are irrelevant largely. They used to represent a region and occasionally dominate. Whatever they did, it isn't working very well. I could see KU dominate any bb conference, but other than Nebraska's ladies volleyball, not sure the fast money was worth it. They have nice facilities. To what end?
We could argue all day on money versus relevance. Money wins initially. I just see a bunch of lifeless satellites orbiting Alabama and tOSU.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:18 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 am

In retrospect, they were where they needed to be before they got greedy. They have lost traditional rivals which is most of the point of college athletics. And they are irrelevant largely. They used to represent a region and occasionally dominate. Whatever they did, it isn't working very well. I could see KU dominate any bb conference, but other than Nebraska's ladies volleyball, not sure the fast money was worth it. They have nice facilities. To what end?
We could argue all day on money versus relevance. Money wins initially. I just see a bunch of lifeless satellites orbiting
Fair enough.

I guess imo, if i were a football school (like Texas and/or OU), the SEC is the place to be. It's just different. The environment. To quality of programs. And yes, the money.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kind of like an ex-spouse that left the kids and happy home for the country club set. Seemed nice at first, but increasingly lonely and unsatisfying. Then comes the drunken backhands and never quite fitting in.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i remember when collegiate athletics was great. that time is gone.

I look forward to the new BIG 12.