2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by holidaysmore »

Kid is tough. We all knew that. Hell, he thought he was gonna go back in against Denver. If he somehow runs out of that tunnel on Sunday night, plays and beats the Packers the Chiefs might as well start hiring a local sculptor to begin the Patrick Mahomes II statue out front of Arrowhead.

The medical staff and doctors are to be applauded and perhaps, in the weirdest Chiefsey way they did avoid a worst case scenario for his injury.

Him walking around, maybe light jogging and throwing wouldn't be out of the question. He was walking already in Denver. It would be more can he run, stop and start, move in all directions, etc that would be the real test.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah true and maybe a stretch by me. But considering he hasn't been ruled out already shows he's made great progress and is doing very well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

As soon as the MRI came back negative things were trending in the positive direction and the possibility of him missing three games or less was going to be more likely the case.

I also believe that this is a veteran HC trying to help out his team in anyway that he can. He knows that without his MVP QB his margin for error is zero so he is trying to get an advantage anyway that he can by making the Packers have to prepare for both QBs. It wouldn't surprise in the least if the Chiefs don't rule out Mahomes until hours before kick off.
Holidaysmore - 2005
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

From Pete Sweeney...
@pgsween
33 minutes ago

Based upon the 20 minutes of practice/warmups open to #Chiefs media on Wednesday, Patrick Mahomes isn’t playing Sunday night. He was fourth in the QB line. It’ll be Matt Moore and Kyle Shurmur. Still incredible he’s already out there six days removed from injury.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Looked fine on handoffs and during stretching portion. Not much limp going on. That's the only video that media is allowed to get.

I would still prefer for him to come back after the bye and play against Oakland, but wouldn't be heartbroken if he played sooner.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I thought his limp was worse from his ankle when he was warming up a few games ago.

I do as well. Him playing at as close to full strength as possible should be the goal. A healthy Mahomes and his compliment of weapons can beat anyone.
While the Packers and Vikings games are important for pride and the national media they really mean nothing for AFC standings. If Moore or Henne can look decent in those two games that would certainly give the Chiefs confidence to take a conservative approach for the Tenn and Chargers games.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You play Mahomes when:

Doctor says: Yes

Mahomes says: Yes

It’s really that simple
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:57 pm You play Mahomes when:

Mahomes says: Yes

It’s really that simple
Second opinion says: Yes
Third opinion says: Yes

If it were up to Mahomes he would have played the second half against Denver.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

If you need a 2nd and 3rd opinion, you might as well get a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th etc.

You pay a team doctor, you take his suggestions. If you can’t trust his decision making, fire him and get someone else.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Players oftentimes don’t trust the decision making of team doctors, as their kid suggestions are often influenced by a short-term sighted executives and such.

Hopefully, to the second part of your criteria, Cascadia, Mahomes listens to the physical response of his body and not the competitive burn to ‘help the team’.

I was skeptical of his talent at first, and LoLed for real at the Chief fans excitement. Now, he’s obviously the real deal and hopefully is thinking long-term for his own health.

As a non-fan of the Chiefs, I want him and the team to error on the side of caution, as he’s incredibly entertaining to watch, and I want to do so for as long as possible.

And, that decision might make the Chiefs expose (discover) other strengths (they seem to know their weaknesses) that need to step up in the absence of such a talent. The AFC west should be easy to win, home field advantage right now, not so much.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So there's no way Mahomes plays Sunday.

If KC loses to GB Sunday, which is likely, they will almost have no shot at HFA. But still in good shape for a bye. Mahomes should not play if they lose to Green Bay. HFA out of reach, but AFC West bad enough for him to rest.

My feeling is he should come back for Oakland game after the bye. Roll with Moore and Henne for these next 4 games, you will still very likely be up on Oakland after the bye.

Play him after the bye against Oakland, but the division out of reach and let him get his groove back for the 6 team crap shoot that is the NFL playoffs.

Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 am If you need a 2nd and 3rd opinion, you might as well get a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th etc.

You pay a team doctor, you take his suggestions. If you can’t trust his decision making, fire him and get someone else.
"his" suggestions, "his" decision making? fire "him"?
Ok, fine. Yes, I believe all NFL head team physicians are male.

So it seems you are saying an owner, a GM, a coach, shouldn't ask for a second opinion. Interesting. What about an agent and/or a player?
I honestly don't know - Is a "team doctor" not supposed to request someone assist him/her their assessments?
I ask because I figure there is a reason most if not all teams have medical staffs in which the "team doctor" is supposed to consult with the other doctors on their staff.
What is it that you find wrong with having someone who specializes in a particular injury giving input to a "team doctor" - who very well may request their advice/opinion/input?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 am So there's no way Mahomes plays Sunday.

If KC loses to GB Sunday, which is likely, they will almost have no shot at HFA. But still in good shape for a bye. Mahomes should not play if they lose to Green Bay. HFA out of reach, but AFC West bad enough for him to rest.

My feeling is he should come back for Oakland game after the bye. Roll with Moore and Henne for these next 4 games, you will still very likely be up on Oakland after the bye.

Play him after the bye against Oakland, but the division out of reach and let him get his groove back for the 6 team crap shoot that is the NFL playoffs.
I would love to know from a healing and medical opinion is a month off going to make that much of a difference compared to one week, etc. The biggest threat moving forward would be the knee coming out again so is that risk reduced with more time off?
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If he plays on Sunday and Reid calls a QB sneak on 4th and 1 while Chiefs are up 2 scores, how many of you still have no problem with the play call?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Up 2 scores is one thing.. Don't think Reid is calling it up 2 scores, but I think it's safe to say that Reid won't call it the rest of the year. Which is fine. I still think the QB sneak is the most effective play in football in short yardage situations, but I digress. A stat released in 2017, Brady ran a QB sneak 124 times in his career, was successful 91.1% of the time. Not sure on updated stats, but imagine it's more of the same.

But if he played Sunday, and Reid ran the sneak, I wouldn't be happy. I understand my answer is wishy washy, but next year, I'd be all for Mahomes doing sneaks to get 1st downs.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If it's a big game in a situation that warrants it, you have to keep a QB sneak in the playbook.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 am If he plays on Sunday and Reid calls a QB sneak on 4th and 1 while Chiefs are up 2 scores, how many of you still have no problem with the play call?
I will still have no problem with the play
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 am If you need a 2nd and 3rd opinion, you might as well get a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th etc.

So it seems you are saying an owner, a GM, a coach, shouldn't ask for a second opinion. Interesting. What about an agent and/or a player?
I honestly don't know - Is a "team doctor" not supposed to request someone assist him/her their assessments?
I ask because I figure there is a reason most if not all teams have medical staffs in which the "team doctor" is supposed to consult with the other doctors on their staff.
What is it that you find wrong with having someone who specializes in a particular injury giving input to a "team doctor" - who very well may request their advice/opinion/input?

Www.findatherapist.com
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

How odd is it that we've won all our road games and both of our losses were at home? Didn't see that coming.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am
Paul1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am

Www.findatherapist.com
Thanks for the link. Shame you don't have the decency to answer my questions.
Maybe I am giving you too much credit but I assume you are smart enough to realize the guy who popped Mahomes' knee cap back in to place isn't the only doctor who has seen and treated Mahomes.
So help us out, which SINGLE doctor would you like the Chiefs to listen to and which one/s should they be ignoring? Maybe you should tell Mahomes too. I'm sure he would like your input as well.