George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by Deleted User 89 »

fwiw, the story on the radio basically made it sound like he was there to egg everyone else on
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“when NWA said ‘fuck the police,’ it was said not with malice, but with a deep sense of disappointment”
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Or a deep attraction and fantasy for certain members of the law enforcement community
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember those Buffalo cops who shoved that elderly protestor to the ground, causing brain damage?

Charges dismissed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/us/buffa ... index.html

Maybe there would be less state-sponsored violence if state-sponsored violence wasn’t systemically excused?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

When you're going up to the police and swiping at them, you're assuming the risk of getting pushed back.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm When you're going up to the police and swiping at them, you're assuming the risk of getting pushed back.
The worst thing that old man did was point his cell phone off to the side. At no point did he ever swipe at them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... oving-man/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Swiping?

Where’s the swipe?

There’s not much of a shove either, except that it’s an old dude who already wasn’t the most balanced.

Other details of note:

- not a single cop attempts to provide first aid as the guy lays bleeding from the ears

- if he hadn’t already been falling, it looks like that other cop was itching to billy club

- again, if we don’t want state-sponsored violence like this, then let’s stop giving state-sponsored violence a pass

https://youtu.be/QFeewU0HhNE

(ETA twocoach beat me to it)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

While the name insinuates nothing but good vibes and good times, the 2020 summer of love was anything but. Difficult time to be a police offficer.

The 1967 summer of love was much lovelier.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How is it a difficult time to be a cop?

They can literally get away with murder.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:31 pm While the name insinuates nothing but good vibes and good times, the 2020 summer of love was anything but. Difficult time to be a police offficer.

Being a police officer is a difficult job with serious consequences for both the officers and the public. If an officer finds their job to be easy then they probably aren't doing it right.

I have zero clue why you would refer to the summer of 2020 as the "2020 Summer of Love". Is that a thing? I have never seen it referred to by that anywhere.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve said this before, but, I think it’s possible to both have a lot of respect for the tough job a cop does, and also hold a cop to a high standard.

You’d think they could disperse a protest without putting an old fart in the hospital for a month.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:48 pm I’ve said this before, but, I think it’s possible to both have a lot of respect for the tough job a cop does, and also hold a cop to a high standard.
This
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm When you're going up to the police and swiping at them, you're assuming the risk of getting pushed back.
Did he swipe right? Or left?
There clearly IS a difference.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:31 pm While the name insinuates nothing but good vibes and good times, the 2020 summer of love was anything but. Difficult time to be a police offficer.

I got a good chuckle seeing them plant those seeds after they used terrorism to take over part of Seattle.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 pm Swiping?

Where’s the swipe?

There’s not much of a shove either, except that it’s an old dude who already wasn’t the most balanced.

Other details of note:

- not a single cop attempts to provide first aid as the guy lays bleeding from the ears

- if he hadn’t already been falling, it looks like that other cop was itching to billy club

- again, if we don’t want state-sponsored violence like this, then let’s stop giving state-sponsored violence a pass

https://youtu.be/QFeewU0HhNE

(ETA twocoach beat me to it)
Would "wave" be a better choice of words?

To your point, wasn't much of a shove. So if you're frail enough that a light push will do that to you, don't go up to cops marching to keep the peace and make unexpected motions at them that could reasonably result in a light push. Put yourself in that cops shoes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you’re justifying a cop’s shove on an old man with the “wave” verbiage, great.

If I’m putting myself in that cop’s shoes, I would operate on a mantra of 3 words:

“Protect and serve.”

jk LOL my mantra would be like all those dudes, and so many other cops too, and the attitude you even exhibited:

“Make my day.”

I don’t buy for a minute that those cops were trying to keep any peace. If they were, then why not aid the geriatric dude bleeding from the ears?

They were operating with the mindset that qualified immunity renders them above accountability, and a “wave” away from reconfiguring an old fart’s face with a fucking billy club.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Name one other person who could put an old dude in the hospital in the month and not bear any consequences?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

mjl much closer to MICH than he likes to admit.