Today in "so much winning"!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Today in "so much winning"!

Post by ousdahl »

ohhh, speaking of venn diagram

here's the kid's statement. By his own account, chanting "build the wall" is right there before "anything racist or hateful at any time."

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1 ... 0670663680
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

statement breakdown!

- starts off strong out the gate by identifying itself as a "factual account"
- keeds were waiting for a bus and sightseeing when they noticed four "African American protestors" who were yelling hateful things at them
- Because they were "being loudly attacked and taunted," one keed asks a chaperone if they can go counter the protestors with their school chants. yup, cuz a keed would actually ask to do that, and an adult in charge would be like oh hey yeah a bunch of belligerent black dudes who are loudly attacking and taunting, let's go sing them the fight song!
- no "build the wall" or anything else racist
- just the fight song, and eventually they cranked the volume to 11, to try and quiet the black dudes
- suddenly, outta nowhere: injuns!
- the crowd parts for one injun with a drum, who locks eyes with the keed and tractor beams to within inches of his face
- dern injun just never cut it out with that durn injun drum!
- keed stands there smirking cuz he thinks that's a better way to diffuse things than just turning around and walking away
- all these adults trying to provoke teenagers...wait, which adults? the chaperones?
- good little catholic keed says a silent prayer awwwwww
- (start of page 2)
- one of the adults (not the chaperones, a colored) starts up about how immigrants should leave, so one of the other keeds starts talking back, but the heart of gold keed intervenes
- the injun protestor was picking on the keed
- oh! hey! chaperones finally showed up! time to get on the bus
- no idea why protest groups engaged with us keeds (nor do we, the reader, have any idea why a group of keeds in MAGA hats approached a group of belligerent protesting minorities...oh wait, yeah we do, it's school spirit!)
- never encountered any sort of public protest or demonstration before...except for, you know, that whole abortion thing we drove from KY to DC to be a part of.
- the whole reason the keed smirked is to let the injun know he wasn't gonna be intimidated
- he's too good of a Catholic to ever start any trouble
- he respects the injun as long as the injun stays outta his face
- how DARE anyone call me racist!
- ugh death threats and shit, inexcusable
- but for real he's not racist
- so totally not racist
- so nobody call him racist any more
- good student and also "several extracurricular activities"
- not racist cuz he said so
- neither is his classmates or teachers
- doesn't make them racist just cuz a bunch of black dudes and injuns thought so
- leave his MAGA hat outta this
- the end

thank you for attending my ted talk. I gotta get to bed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

WTF?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:35 pm
Gutter wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:27 pm Come on ousy! You know those kids were wearing the MAGA hats because they lived such shitty lives during the Obama Presidency.
Shame they had to be harassed by Black and Indian people on their pro-life journey.
I guess America isn't so great yet.
I'd suggest "shame" is an appropriate word for you in this case.

But I don't think you're capable of feeling any.
I suggest you do us both a favor and don't "think" anything about me.
I feel plenty of shame - when I should - and even sometimes when I shouldn't.
As I said, it's a shame those kids had to be exposed to such a traumatic experience when all they wanted to do was participate in a "pro life" event. That's our America in 2019.
I recall my 8th grade trip to DC. While waiting for our bus to come pick us up Eric Tauer was visibly shaken. He was mugged and the "muggers" told him to take out and give them his retainer. He tried to explain to them it would do them no good but they didn't give a shit.
Happened just a block or two away from the Capitol. About a month after Ronnie was inaugurated.
I'm wondering if those kid's from Kentucky think America was "great" back then (Ronnie era) - or when they felt America was great - being that they want to make America great again - or I should say they want Donnie to make America great again.
Or do they really not give a fuck if America is great or not - and they are the 2019 version of my 1980 8th grade class - where some of my classmates thought it was cool to buy and wear FBI hats but in reality they didn't really gave a shit about the FBI and enjoyed the novelty of owning one of those hats.
I know, it's just a fucking hat. Means nothing really. Right? Kind of like if a black kid is wearing a hoodie. Means nothing - or..... he must be a thug. Welcome to America in 2019.
Still waiting for America to be great again now that Donnie is our Prez.
Can't help but ask myself is America really any greater today than it was on January 19th, 2017?
Not for me but hopefully it is for all those who voted for Donnie simply because he was going to make America great again. Kind of reminds me of those who voted for Obama based on their belief they were going to get hope and change - and free gas.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm Stoopidest egg of them all, though, I suppose.

Click through. Read the whole thread. Then pat yourself on the back.

https://twitter.com/PikePlaceTechie/sta ... 2749378560
Wait, falsely accused? Did he NOT stand and smile in front of an indigenous man with a drum?

And wtf is all this shit about eggs? If you wanna talk breakfast then we already have a thread for that.

well, half a thread.
Did you read the thread? The kid who got doxxed, whose parents business was attacked, whose life was turned upside down WASN'T EVEN IN WASHINGTON. He stayed home from the March because his brother got married on Saturday.

They got the wrong kid.

But yeah, whining.

Good stuff.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 am statement breakdown!

- keeds were waiting for a bus and sightseeing when they noticed four "African American protestors" who were yelling hateful things at them
- Because they were "being loudly attacked and taunted," one keed asks a chaperone if they can go counter the protestors with their school chants. yup, cuz a keed would actually ask to do that, and an adult in charge would be like oh hey yeah a bunch of belligerent black dudes who are loudly attacking and taunting, let's go sing them the fight song!
- just the fight song, and eventually they cranked the volume to 11, to try and quiet the black dudes
- the crowd parts for one injun with a drum, who locks eyes with the keed and tractor beams to within inches of his face
- keed stands there smirking cuz he thinks that's a better way to diffuse things than just turning around and walking away
- all these adults trying to provoke teenagers...wait, which adults? the chaperones?
- (start of page 2)
- one of the adults (not the chaperones, a colored) starts up about how immigrants should leave, so one of the other keeds starts talking back, but the heart of gold keed intervenes
- no idea why protest groups engaged with us keeds (nor do we, the reader, have any idea why a group of keeds in MAGA hats approached a group of belligerent protesting minorities...oh wait, yeah we do, it's school spirit!)
- never encountered any sort of public protest or demonstration before...except for, you know, that whole abortion thing we drove from KY to DC to be a part of.
- the whole reason the keed smirked is to let the injun know he wasn't gonna be intimidated
- so totally not racist
- doesn't make them racist just cuz a bunch of black dudes and injuns thought so
- the end

You should watch the two-hour video.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm Stoopidest egg of them all, though, I suppose.

Click through. Read the whole thread. Then pat yourself on the back.

https://twitter.com/PikePlaceTechie/sta ... 2749378560
Wait, falsely accused? Did he NOT stand and smile in front of an indigenous man with a drum?

And wtf is all this shit about eggs? If you wanna talk breakfast then we already have a thread for that.

well, half a thread.
Did you read the thread? The kid who got doxxed, whose parents business was attacked, whose life was turned upside down WASN'T EVEN IN WASHINGTON. He stayed home from the March because his brother got married on Saturday.

They got the wrong kid.

But yeah, whining.

Good stuff.
ohh got it. yeah that's fucked up.

The thread doesn't make it clear that his brother wasn't there and it was a case of mistaken identity. I thought it was the MAGA kid's older brother whining, my bad.

also I love the capital M on March. How Catholic!

Actually, what's the general vibe like at the March for Life? Is it usually more just generally about the anti-abortion movement, or is it normal for Marchers to wear their political allegiance explicitly on their heads?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:10 am

- (start of page 2)
- so totally not racist
- the end

I'll try.

But if I don't have the chance to dedicate 2 hours to it, please feel free to share whatever point you might be trying to make?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am

- (start of page 2)
- so totally not racist
- the end

I'll try.

But if I don't have the chance to dedicate 2 hours to it, please feel free to share whatever point you might be trying to make?
The point is that the video tends to confirm the kid's statement.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:22 am
ohh got it. yeah that's fucked up.

The thread doesn't make it clear that his brother wasn't there and it was a case of mistaken identity. I thought it was the MAGA kid's older brother whining, my bad.

also I love the capital M on March. How Catholic!

Actually, what's the general vibe like at the March for Life? Is it usually more just generally about the anti-abortion movement, or is it normal for Marchers to wear their political allegiance explicitly on their heads?
Generally, other politics are left out of it.

The hats were stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am

I'll try.

The point is that the video tends to confirm the kid's statement.
oh really? I've caught bits and pieces but it generally just seemed like asshole on asshole on asshole crime, with no one really expecting it to become some ridiculous nationwide controversy.

so the kids really saw belligerent black protestors harassing them, thought let's ask for permission to counter them with school spirit, and the adults in charge allowed it?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You can't tell if they asked permission. The video was taken by one of the Black Hebrew Israelites. And the you can definitely hear and see them picking a fight with the Covington kids. At several points in the video, the Covington kids don't know what the hell is going on -- and several of them ask it. And no chant.

At the end of the 9-minute video, the BHIs are fucking with the kids again (honestly, the shit they say makes you wonder if they were having some fun with a bunch of naive white kids), and the kids start cheering...when the buses show up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was being a loopy insomniac and got kinda carried away roasting the kid's statement.

but that part just seemed awful fishy to me. I just don't think it's likely a kid would think to counter a bunch of angry protestors with the school fight song, don't think they would ask for permission to do it first, and DEFINITELY don't think an adult in charge would actually grant permission to do any of that.

I mean for real what responsible chaperone would foster this shit? What responsible chaperone would do anything but get the keeds out of a hostile situation?

oh, and just generally, which seems more trustworthy: the minority protestors apparently granting interviews to the press, or the private school kid who hired a professional PR firm to prepare a statement?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The from Julie Zimmerman @ The Atlantic:

As I watched the longer videos, I began to see the smirking kid in a different light. It seemed to me that a wave of emotions rolled over his face as Phillips approached him: confusion, fear, resolve. He finally, I thought, settled on an expression designed to mimic respect while signaling to his friends that he’s got this under control. Observing it, I wondered what different reaction I could have reasonably hoped a high-school junior to have in such an unfamiliar and bewildering situation. I came up empty.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the biggest question remains, who's the adults in charge who allowed the keeds to approach and escalate such an unfamiliar and bewildering situation?

I wanna watch the vids now, but gotta work right up until tipoff, then the game, then hopefully the night ski is clear enough for a moonlight ski tour.

based on what I've seen thus far, it seems like the kids were more than anything just being a bunch of smartass high schoolers goofing around, with no intention of getting caught up in a nationwide racial controversy, chaperones and MAGA hats be damned.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The world we live in right now is just so....gross. News outlets run shit like this out there with claims that the kids said stuff without any actual evidence that they did. The rush to be FIRST and the rush to get ad clicks has overtaken the desire to actually report on events with any semblance of context, investigation or confirmation.

And our mob mentality of todays world just runs with whatever they see without thought. I am guilty sometimes and that frustrates me. We have to do better as a society but I fear that we are still on the decline and will still get far worse. Any dipshit with a phone is now a "media member" and any glorified blog is now a "news source".

So frustrated right now. The negative impacts of this flash news cycle we run now is devastating to the actual pursuit of truth and information.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

On that, Mr Coach and I agree.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm On that, Mr Coach and I agree.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 pm The world we live in right now is just so....gross. News outlets run shit like this out there with claims that the kids said stuff without any actual evidence that they did. The rush to be FIRST and the rush to get ad clicks has overtaken the desire to actually report on events with any semblance of context, investigation or confirmation.

And our mob mentality of todays world just runs with whatever they see without thought. I am guilty sometimes and that frustrates me. We have to do better as a society but I fear that we are still on the decline and will still get far worse. Any dipshit with a phone is now a "media member" and any glorified blog is now a "news source".

So frustrated right now. The negative impacts of this flash news cycle we run now is devastating to the actual pursuit of truth and information.
^^^^^
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

How much of this is caused by the rise of/dependence on social media? Id say it is substantial.
Just Ledoux it