We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by MICHHAWK »

[quote=jfish26 post_id=142036 time=1603377455 user_id=68

If Biden was to try to make a nuanced, intelligent argument,
[/quote]

It would sound like every talk/speech the man has engaged In the last 3 years. Incoherent babbling and blubbering and bumbling that no one can follow or understand.

That man needs to stick to 1-2-3 word sentences.

He looks cool in sunglasses. He should almost always have his shades on. Stand there silently with his shades on. His best play by far.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

The problems with the lack of good jobs is not a republican or democrat issue -- it's because we no longer make many things in this country. Our manufacturing is the lowest it has ever been. You cannot have a vibrant, strong economy if you buy most of your goods from other countries.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:37 am
If Biden was to try to make a nuanced, intelligent argument,
It would sound like every talk/speech the man has engaged In the last 3 years. Incoherent babbling and blubbering and bumbling that no one can follow or understand.

That man needs to stick to 1-2-3 word sentences.

He looks cool in sunglasses. He should almost always have his shades on. Stand there silently with his shades on. His best play by far.
I sat and watched Biden's Town hall and he spoke about a number of policies just fine. He gets stuck on words sometimes. I have two nephews that suffer from apraxia so it doesn't phase me. I recognize and empathize with the stops and starts and pauses. It's not incoherent if you are patient and make an effort to listen.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 am The problems with the lack of good jobs is not a republican or democrat issue -- it's because we no longer make many things in this country. Our manufacturing is the lowest it has ever been. You cannot have a vibrant, strong economy if you buy most of your goods from other countries.
You know there are other, more forward thinking options, right? We arent required to keep functioning as we did back in the 1930s any more.

We just need to invest in newer technologies and train people to transition into those roles. We can still have manufacturing, just not in the old model.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Those forward thinking ideas are wrong. They've been failing for the last three decades. We need manufacturing. We had the strongest economy in the world 40 years ago.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was gonna respond with lobster’s post with something like, “and rather than vilify the 1 percenters who sent those jobs overseas, those folks make boogeymen out of some other portion of the working class, just like the 1 percenters told them to do...”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 am Those forward thinking ideas are wrong. They've been failing for the last three decades. We need manufacturing. We had the strongest economy in the world 40 years ago.
The problem isnt that we no longer make things. It's that we no longer make things efficiently and in a cost effective time manner. And sorry, but part of the impact of the "benefit" of everyone making more money is that it is too expensive to do some things here now. That isn't going to change. China isn't going to pay their manufacturing labor more to level the playing field. India isn't going to pay their IT labor more to level the playing field. My job is done in India for an average of about 35,000 a year less than what I do it for.

Companies either adapt and evolve or die. Such is the nature of business.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If dt was smart he would not say one word when jb is speaking tonight. Jb gets into trouble when he has to think and speak on his feet. He just cannot get it out. It might be beautiful in his head. But it’s a wreck coming out his pie hole.

But dt is dt and he cannot resist.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I hope Trump does better tonight than he did in the 1st debate. He did pretty well in the town hall with that annoying woman.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am
Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 am Those forward thinking ideas are wrong. They've been failing for the last three decades. We need manufacturing. We had the strongest economy in the world 40 years ago.
The problem isnt that we no longer make things. It's that we no longer make things efficiently and in a cost effective time manner. And sorry, but part of the impact of the "benefit" of everyone making more money is that it is too expensive to do some things here now. That isn't going to change. China isn't going to pay their manufacturing labor more to level the playing field. India isn't going to pay their IT labor more to level the playing field. My job is done in India for an average of about 35,000 a year less than what I do it for.

Companies either adapt and evolve or die. Such is the nature of business.
We make things, lots of things. With robots. A lot of manufacturing jobs have been replaced by machines.

What else did we have 40 years ago? Union jobs with pensions and healthcare benefits and a larger middle class. When Republicans decided the unions wouldn't vote for a political party that pushed economic policies for the wealthy, they started to push policies to dismantle unions and encouraged manufacturing to move off shore to expedite the demise of the unions. Unions didn't do themselves any favors by becoming synonymous with organized crime. Democrats looked the other way with regards to the criminal activity as long as the unions voted D.

Well paid workers make more expensive products. When wages fall, consumers look for lower cost less durable items that will be good enough. Cheap imports to the rescue and the rise of consumerism and disposable goods. Why pay twice as much for something if you are gonna throw it away in 2 years?

And now Republicans play on the grievances of displaced workers by scapegoating immigrants who take the agricultural jobs the aggrieved wouldn't do for the low wages. There are parts played in this whole scenario by Democrats, but for the modern Republican party to be playing the "bring back the good old days of manufacturing" is hypocrisy in it's finest theatrical dress. Anyone who thinks they mean it is not paying attention.

Big business needs endless consumption and that requires a steady flow of cheap disposable goods for sale to a continuously buying public.

Do you really want to bring back American manufacturing? Pretty easy really. Go out and buy American made goods. Be ready to pay a premium and look for durable goods.

One thing though, if we all keep our stuff longer there will be less need to manufacture, unless you export it. Exports are usually well made American goods, better quality than what the buyer can get in their home country. But the market is limited by the number of people who can afford them. So this is not a recipe for limitless growth.

What the US is good at exporting is leading edge technology and technological services and education. The world sends it's engineers to the US to be educated. There is a reason for that, they want the high paying jobs we've got, added to their economy. We don't want the low paying hand work jobs without benefits they've got.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Let me guess, it's systemic racism and white supremacists that have ruined the economy? ;)

When you have production, you have a good economy. When you outsource it and borrow money on credit, you do not. We also had the many of the cheapest goods when we manufactured them ourselves and sold them all over the world. Production starts with capital and that is what creates real wealth. This stimulus nonsense only acts as a drug and doesn't fix anything. It's a long history of manipulated low interest rates and QE that have allowed the illusion of the US having a strong economy. It's not at all what is actually happening. Proof of this is the current stock market, which has no connection to the real economy. That's all going to come crashing down soon, but I digress. The point is, get the government out of the free market and we will see a much better economy again. The low interest rates continue to destroy lives by creating these asset bubbles (2000 tech stocks, 2008 housing, 2020 everything bubble). Governments cannot create real wealth -- only production and savings can without federal manipulation. We had interest rates around 20% in the 1980s. Why? Because our government let the free market correct itself. Try doing that in 2020 and everything will collapse.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Maybe you should try less guessing and more reading.

You seem like you have it all figured out.

You are really smart about business and economics and stuff.

You should start your own manufacturing business and show us how it is done.

Or just start, a business, and when you get to 50 employees; let us know how you did it.

America is the Land of Limitless Opportunity boy!

Anyone who hasn't made it, just hasn't been trying hard enough. Git out there and may us proud Wally.

Maybe you would be invited to a Trump Jr rally in 2024 and get to tell your rags to riches story like the My Pillow dude. We could all say we knew you back when you were just an odobenidae.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Leveraging green jobs and infrastructure projects will address the jobs issue. It is one of my biggest problems with the Kochs and other dullards.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Um... I do have my own business. :lol:
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I thought we had the strongest economy in the world 10 months ago?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:14 pm Um... I do have my own business. :lol:
You're being way too modest. Tell us more!

What do you manufacture? How many employees? Gross revenue? Do you export?
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:35 am This is better
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 2900152320
Holy fuck....

That is awesome. And disturbing all at once.

How can they use that footage if he was unaware he was being filmed? Or did they trick his dumbass into signing something before hand?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

japhy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:21 am
Walrus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:14 pm Um... I do have my own business. :lol:
You're being way too modest. Tell us more!

What do you manufacture? How many employees? Gross revenue? Do you export?
Sorry, can't let that info on here. This place has too many children and too many who label others as "white supremacists". If you tell me you were completely wrong about Kyle Rittenhouse, I might share some info. :lol: