Violence

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Violence

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:54 am ironic, that white supremacists/nationalists breach the capitol while at basically the same time, Warnock wins in Georgia as the pastor of MLK’s church
“Ironic,” to me, implies a lack of causality between two things, but the two things are somehow related.

I don’t think there’s any irony here. I think the carnage and rage yesterday was directly related, in part, to Warnock’s win. And Warnock’s win was directly related, in part, to the same moronic “election fraud” nonsense that also led to the carnage and rage yesterday.
i agree

perhaps irony was the wrong word. race and racism was undoubtedly at play imo
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:55 am BINGO!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1347142374086955009
The Blue that Republicans have backed literally opened the doors to the hallowed halls of our nation's Capital and let domestic terrorists waltz right in.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:44 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 pm So whaddya think Tdub?
I think today has been a disgrace, and lindsey, ted, mitch, et al are responsible.
I suspect it’s going to take a generation of work - which perhaps can’t start until a generation passes - to unpack what’s happened here.

For my part, these two things can be true at once: (1) what McConnell, Graham, Lee, Lankford etc. said yesterday was good and necessary and welcome, and (2) what McConnell, Graham, Lee, Lankford etc. said yesterday does not absolve them of being complicit for getting to this point. Indeed, their recalcitrance probably puts a neat bow on their prior bad faith; of course they knew all along.

I can’t begin to think of how we heal. And so I think you just have to start chipping away at making things better. Big things and little things. And you have to trust the people to come back to you because of the inherent quality of your actions, not your words.
I can begin to think of how we heal.

But many of those paths to healing require a little good faith among republicans in general, and among McConnell, Graham, Lee, Lankford etc. in particular.

And the the thing about that is...
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I am a strange person who has bizarre thoughts.
This one just came to mind.
Am I wrong for being concerned about Barron Trump's mental (and I suppose physical too) well being?
He's the only Trump I am compassionate towards. I truly feel bad for him - in regards to his being a member his lunatic family.
My hope is he's being kept away from his extremely unstable father these days.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Just wait until Melania files for divorce.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

she’d get full custody
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:03 am
Grandma wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:55 am BINGO!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1347142374086955009
The Blue that Republicans have backed literally opened the doors to the hallowed halls of our nation's Capital and let domestic terrorists waltz right in.
There should be a deep dive into exactly how the Capitol police were so thoroughly unprepared and ineffectual. Suffice it to say we have (probably) been exceedingly lucky that someone sophisticated and with bad intentions didn't have a sleeper cell get in with the crowd.

I would expect this does clinch DC statehood. I have to imagine part of the problem is that there was not really a clear chain of command on who helps when the Capitol police aren't enough.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

The Capitol police have been almost as worthless as the University of Kansas "Office of Public Safety" for a very long time.
Here is what I feel is an important question.
How the heck can someone just walk in to the Speaker of the House's office IN THE CAPITOL, leave a note on her desk, and "steal" her mail - and who is directly responsible for it being able to happen?
That person should be out of their job the very second someone competent can take over the role.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 am The Capitol police have been almost as worthless as the University of Kansas "Office of Public Safety" for a very long time.
Here is what I feel is an important question.
How the heck can someone just walk in to the Speaker of the House's office IN THE CAPITOL, leave a note on her desk, and "steal" her mail - and who is directly responsible for it being able to happen?
That person should be out of their job the very second someone competent can take over the role.
I expect it won't be long before we find social media connective tissue between the rioters and the police.

Which is, zooming way out, what happens when your policies and platform are so inconsistent with the will of the people that you are required to make common cause with extremists in order to have a cheater's chance at the ballot box.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

While there is definitely evidence of the CH police backing down ( and taking selfies ) there is also video/images of the police pushing back with batons and spraying mace at the rioters.

They were undermanned.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Which is why I think they tried to go with the flow as much as possible. If they acted as they usually do, they would have been overwhelmed and officers would have likely been killed. They tried to just contain as much as possible.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53 am While there is definitely evidence of the CH police backing down ( and taking selfies ) there is also video/images of the police pushing back with batons and spraying mace at the rioters.

They were undermanned.
and yet, we’ve also so often seen police show up completely overmanned, open fire, with paramilitary gear, etc. for much less.

And it can’t be overemphasized that the president himself didn’t want the cops there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53 am While there is definitely evidence of the CH police backing down ( and taking selfies ) there is also video/images of the police pushing back with batons and spraying mace at the rioters.

They were undermanned.
and yet, we’ve also so often seen police show up completely overmanned, open fire, with paramilitary gear, etc. for much less.

And it can’t be overemphasized that the president himself didn’t want the cops there.
Well the police will be there regardless, so the better word to use is the National Guard, who he actually has control over. He didn't want any additional support there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For sure, the traitor to our country put us in this mess by not only failing to coordinate the appropriate security for our capitol, but also purposely inciting a mob of his lunatic followers to storm it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Zuck blocks Trump.
Deleted User 89

didn’t want to start a new thread, but found this interesting...

the yellow Gadsden flag, a long and shifting history

https://theconversation.com/yellow-gads ... ory-145142
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

There were some interesting flags yesterday. The confederate battle flag with an assault rifle superimposed over it was a WTF moment for me.

Anyone know the significance of the yellow flag with 3 red stripes? I saw a lot of those for the 1st time yesterday.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There was a guy with an American flag and a Georgia flag.
The country Georgia.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:22 am There were some interesting flags yesterday. The confederate battle flag with an assault rifle superimposed over it was a WTF moment for me.

Anyone know the significance of the yellow flag with 3 red stripes? I saw a lot of those for the 1st time yesterday.
Someone had the flag of South Vietnam at the protest?