Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

This could be a career job if Goff is successful, or he could at least be here as long as he wants. Coaching hires are a big part of what he'll be judged on. All signs point to his football hire being the right one but that will eventually play out over a few years in terms of wins and losses.

A bit off topic, but what other hires is going to need to address soon? Feels like women's basketball and baseball might need attention sooner rather than later.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This might really show my ignorance on the whole thing, but why haven't we just hired Jeff Boschee to be the women's basketball coach?
UnholyLivingDead

Maybe I'm ignorant about the situation, too, because that sounds like a solid idea to me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 pm This could be a career job if Goff is successful, or he could at least be here as long as he wants. Coaching hires are a big part of what he'll be judged on. All signs point to his football hire being the right one but that will eventually play out over a few years in terms of wins and losses.

A bit off topic, but what other hires is going to need to address soon? Feels like women's basketball and baseball might need attention sooner rather than later.
I would imagine one of the things that drew us to Goff is that this would be a destination job for him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:12 pm Was also funny to me that at the presser when Mellinger said he had a couple questions for Goff, Goff scooted up in his seat towards the mic and became laser focused. Something tells me he knew about the last question Sam asked a KU AD.
Died at that. I noticed it too. And Sam is a good dude. He is not a trash columnist as what KC has had. He excels in a one-on-one setting though. That's his bread and butter. But Goff definitely knew that Sam basically asked the question that put the final nail in the coffin for Long.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am I didn't know this about Leipold until after the hire, but it sounds like he is the CEO-type that some wanted. Hands off 95%ish of the coaching duties to the staff. Fine with that, and makes perfect sense why he'd bring the guys he trusts with him.

I imagine the job is going to be as we all suspected: program stability and football coaching will be there, big question is if they can recruit and develop to this level. And we need some luck.
I'm a broken goddamned record on this point, but: Leipold's success or failure will depend on what the QB room looks like in his third and fourth years here.
I mean, kinda? There may be games where Leipold's team throws like 15 times a game. Other games they might throw a lot.

I want a great QB, just seems like it may not matter as much with Leipold as it did with other coaches' schemes like an Air Raid or RPO based offense.
I don't see it that way. We're going to have so, so many disadvantages, talent-wise. I don't think it can work here without a QB that isn't at least very good.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think it depends on what we define as "working." All college quarterbacks kind of suck.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If I'm not mistaken (I probably am) but Leipold had a punter who played QB in HS as a QB for a few games a few years back due to injuries and redshirts. And they went like 3-1 or something like that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm I think it depends on what we define as "working." All college quarterbacks kind of suck.
Just don't throw dumb interceptions and you'll be serviceable.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm I think it depends on what we define as "working." All college quarterbacks kind of suck.
Just don't throw dumb interceptions and you'll be serviceable.
I certainly think KU needs something well beyond serviceable to win 8, 9 games. But, am remembering that the very, very average Carter Stanley was something like 9 points away from playing in a bowl game in 2019 under the current format. So, just depends on how we describe Leipold's time here as a success.

I think the line of scrimmage is just so disproportionately important in the college game. So much so that with a good line and defense, you can put a TE at QB like Florida and Kansas State, and ride the RPO all the way to a New Year's Day bowl.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

QB is the most important position on the field. Regardless of offense.

If Leipold's offense lowers the threshold for how good our QB needs to be to be successful, that's great, maybe even necessary.

But none of the QB's we've trotted out post-Reesing has met even that reduced threshold...at least as we trotted them out in a KU uniform. Stanley would be the closest, but even with a great defense and running game, that guy's not taking you to a respectable bowl game.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Stanley, in the right scheme, vaulted over tacklers and was formidable at times. Then Les got to thinking.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm Stanley, in the right scheme, vaulted over tacklers and was formidable at times. Then Les got to thinking.
Well, yeah. Not knowing how to use the guy is the same as not having the guy.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Of all the QB's to wear a Jayhawk uniform in the last 30 years, where do you rank Stanley?

1. Ressing
2. Whittemore
3. Hilleary
4. Stanley?
5. Williams
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Loved me some Whittemore, the QB not the site admin
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sadly, Stanley does rank up there despite misuse. In Reesing’s time we had to move a good QB to wide out.
UnholyLivingDead

Interesting that Eargle wasn't considered. Whatever role Ianello is going to have, I think I'd rather have Eargle instead. But I'll trust Leipold on this.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Ianello is a weird story from here. Split on if it was him or Weis who burned so many bridges with KS high school coaches via the recruiting strategy that took place when both were here. Eargle, seemed to be doing a good job.

Losing Da'Jon Terry hurts. I believed him and Harris could be some studs for a couple of years to come. If the rumors are true that the new DC is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 I could see why he would want to transfer out. Have also heard rumors that at least Prunty and Logan are contemplating moving on. That may be smoothed over with the retaining of Jones and Chevis.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Does it matter if it was Weis or Ianello, if Ianello was here and part of it?

But my takeaway from that thing is my gosh, do HS coaches need to get the fuck over theirselves.