Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Mjl »

Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

I have very little time right now but something I wanted to comment on quickly.
Ousy - The Taltakingpics Instagram post that you shared states...... "Recognising that the most extreme violence is enacted by Israeli forces".
If he/she means the more powerful use of force, then I agree.
Meanwhile, while in Israel, my guess is 99% of those in the Israeli military will tell you - their main objective/goal is to NEVER "lose" and their motto per se is we will prevail.
Is it right or fair that in doing as such it often means the loss of many "innocent" civilian lives - to me, absolutely not but there is usually/often (if not always) a BIG unfortunate cost to going to war and BOTH sides should hopefully take that in to strong consideration when they do as such.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, the world is a fucked up place.

Crazy that there’s still so much violence, and we only hear about a portion.

This thread sucks!

The only good thing in it is roniponi. Homegirl’s so groovy. Did you guys check her out?
Deleted User 880

Ballsy move by the Bools being that I have to figure they knew there would be division and a lot of foolish responses because of it.
Seems people are having a difficult time comprehending the the Bools clearly state "We stand with the Jewish community against the rise in anti-Semitic attacks IN THIS COUNTRY" and this post by the Bools isn't about what's going on in the Middle East between Palestine and Israel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPR_HPPgiEY/?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MJ23 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:32 am Ballsy move by the Bools being that I have to figure they knew there would be division and a lot of foolish responses because of it.
Seems people are having a difficult time comprehending the the Bools clearly state "We stand with the Jewish community against the rise in anti-Semitic attacks IN THIS COUNTRY" and this post by the Bools isn't about what's going on in the Middle East between Palestine and Israel.

My guess is that the majority of people who responded with nasty comments hit "reply" as soon as they finished the "We stand with the Jewish community" and didn't even read beyond that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Most of the comments I’m seeing are along the lines of “free Palestine” and “do you stand with the Muslim community too?”
Deleted User 880

twocoach wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 am
MJ23 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:32 am Ballsy move by the Bools being that I have to figure they knew there would be division and a lot of foolish responses because of it.

My guess is that the majority of people who responded with nasty comments hit "reply" as soon as they finished the "We stand with the Jewish community" and didn't even read beyond that.
My guess is you are right.
Deleted User 880

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am Most of the comments I’m seeing are along the lines of “free Palestine” and “do you stand with the Muslim community too?”
I find nothing wrong with that sentiment (free Palestine) and question (do you stand with the Muslim community too).
What I do find wrong is that the majority of those responding probably don't give a damn that there is a rise of anti-semitism in this country and some are probably extremely anti-semitic themselves.
As I basically stated before, there may be a correlation of what is taking place in Israel and Palestine and anti-Semitism in THIS country but it's two different animals we are dealing with.
Probably would have been a lot better if the Bools had put OF ALL PEOPLE at the end of the statement.
Might not have changed the majority of the responses but I feel it would have been better as far as the backlash in terms of p.r..
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, the whole situation stinks.

Kinda makes wonder if there was ever enough good redeeming factors about religion to offset the fact it does a real good job of dividing folks.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

It's all about which club you want to join.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

defixione wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:15 am It's all about which club you want to join.
I chose the "all y'all are crazy" club. Hard pass on organized religion of any kind for me. I'll find a community to be a part of in some other way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The community elements of religion really can be great.

Where it gets weird is when you realize how many among that community attribute the great things about that community not to the community itself, but to some mystical superstition from the bronze ages.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:19 am Yeah, the whole situation stinks.

Kinda makes wonder if there was ever enough good redeeming factors about religion to offset the fact it does a real good job of dividing folks.
It seems nearly everything divides people these days. Religion. Politics. Science. Education. Biology. The list goes on.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm It seems nearly everything divides people these days. Religion. Politics. Science. Education. Biology. The list goes on.
i see only the beauty and the joy in others. what makes us different is what makes us wonderful. nothing can come between me and my fellow man.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:19 am Yeah, the whole situation stinks.

It seems nearly everything divides people these days. Religion. Politics. Science. Education. Biology. The list goes on.
Yes. Everything. Everyone has to have a hot take on every topic so they can post it on their social media. Creates a lot of tension for no reason.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how much of a role religion has had in making other issues like politics and science and education into dividing issues.

At the end of the day, much of the religious experience comes down to this “us and them” sort of tribalism.

And religion was and is very much an attempt to explain the world around us when we otherwise didn’t have the scientific understanding to explain it yet.

Tangential - when was the last time Merica was more United? Prob post-911, when we were divided against the terrorists?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:19 pm I wonder how much of a role religion has had in making other issues like politics and science and education into dividing issues.

At the end of the day, much of the religious experience comes down to this “us and them” sort of tribalism.

And religion was and is very much an attempt to explain the world around us when we otherwise didn’t have the scientific understanding to explain it yet.

Tangential - when was the last time Merica was more United? Prob post-911, when we were divided against the terrorists?
I don't think religion is anymore divisive than the anti religion people.

I am not religious. I am not bothered by religious people. And yet, i don't feel the need to belittle religious people for being religious.

What i find funny are some of the anti religion people who are really only anti white people religion. They don't seem to take issue with the large % of the black and Hispanic communities that are every bit as religious as anyone. Or islamic people who are religious. It's strange how sometimes it bothers people, and other times it doesn't....
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Both sides.

I wonder if it’s possible to quantify which side is more divisive.

...whether it’s more on individual issues (abortion and gay marriage eek!), or just as part of some greater something.

I DO know, at least anecdotally, that many religious folk believe the biggest issue and greatest threat to humanity today is, religious freedom, which, lulz.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:31 pm I DO know, at least anecdotally, that many religious folk believe the biggest issue and greatest threat to humanity today is, religious freedom, which, lulz.
maybe what's important to some folks is not important to you. maybe what is important to you is not important to others.

i say live and let live.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Me too!

So can we apply the “live and let live” adage to same sex marriages, or do you wanna defer to the religious folk?
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.