Patrick Mahomes

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 863

Re: Patrick Mahomes

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:27 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am With 2 or 3 min to go the Bengals were favored to win. So there's that.
Sure.
But the Chiefs were down their 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th best WRs.
Their QB was gimpy. Their TE may or may not have been limited.
Their best corner was out with a concussion. Their best spy LB was out with a shoulder injury.
Exactly. (I know you weren't trying to make my point, but you said it so well I am stealing it)

I am not saying the Bengals are better. I am saying the Chiefs weren't visibly better than the Bengals. Much of that due to the things PDub listed above.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Which is sort of representative of how far ahead of the rest of the league Mahomes is, right?

Switch quarterbacks last Sunday and the Bengals win comfortably, right? Even with the ankle?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Would the Bengals still call the same offensive plays? If so, and with the Bengals OL and the Chiefs defense going against Mahomes, I don't think the Bengals win comfortably.
As much credit as Mahomes deserves, it was hardly a one man show on Sunday and I feel the Chiefs defense deserves a lot if not as much credit for the W as Mahomes does.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think a healthy Mahomes, in a hypothetical swap, wins comfortably given last Sunday.
Chase, Higgins, Mixon and Hurst > busted Kelce, MVS, Skyy Moore and Pacheco.

Gutter is right regarding the defense, I think especially when it came to pressure on Burrow.
Our OLine did a pretty good job keeping Mahomes clean.
If Mahomes had been behind the Bengals line, with Chris Jones, playoff Frank Clark and our Greek rookie coming at him, I don't think he would have been able to escape as well as Burrow did because he couldn't move well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What I'm really getting at is that Burrow/Bengals have now missed (as did Allen/Bills) the window where they could compete with KC from the high ground (cap-wise).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the Bengals have one more season of that.
They'll extend with Burrow but will still have some of that rookie salary for this upcoming season.

But we're in a better spot next year I think with our rookies having more experience, all the draft picks for next year, and enough draft cap ( Frank Clark, you're gonna make some concessions, or you are gone ) to make a couple moves.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:35 pm I think the Bengals have one more season of that.
They'll extend with Burrow but will still have some of that rookie salary for this upcoming season.

But we're in a better spot next year I think with our rookies having more experience, all the draft picks for next year, and enough draft cap ( Frank Clark, you're gonna make some concessions, or you are gone ) to make a couple moves.
Depends how they structure it, but the easy part is over. And the receivers will want their bags, too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Certainly.
One more year of Tee Higgins, two more of Chase.
Higgins would instantly be our no. 1 WR hands down.*

* instead we drafted CEH in the 1st round one pick before and my preferred pick, Trevon Diggs, went 20 picks later.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

As much as Veitch deserves credit for low round greatness, the CEH thing was a real miss. I honestly think Pooka is better.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:17 pm As much as Veitch deserves credit for low round greatness, the CEH thing was a real miss. I honestly think Pooka is better.
That's like complaining that an MLB hitter "only" batted .800
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:17 pm As much as Veitch deserves credit for low round greatness, the CEH thing was a real miss. I honestly think Pooka is better.
It was a miss, for sure. You can see what they were trying to do, but the margin for error (given cap realities) is too great to spend a premium pick on a position you can fill so easily later in the draft.

At a minimum, you have to turn all Round 1-3 picks into rookie contract starters. Gays and Boltons and Humphreys and Cooks and so on.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am
It was a miss, for sure. You can see what they were trying to do, but the margin for error (given cap realities) is too great to spend a premium pick on a position you can fill so easily later in the draft.

At a minimum, you have to turn all Round 1-3 picks into rookie contract starters. Gays and Boltons and Humphreys and Cooks and so on.
If that is your minimum, then there are zero GMs who have done their job because none of them would meet that criteria. But yes, it has been disappointing to see what KC has gotten out of CEH for sure, especially when you see some of the other players that KC could have had.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wanted David Montgomery at his late price the year before.
I think he would have been a better piece here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:40 am I wanted David Montgomery at his late price the year before.
I think he would have been a better piece here.
It sounds like you have missed your calling.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Definitely.
We'd have LJ Collier, Zadarius Smith, Trevon Diggs, DK Metcalf, David Montgomery, Logan Wilson and Christian Watson right now instead of Frank Clark, Juan Thornhill, CEH, Willie Gay, Mecole Hardman and Karlaftis.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Maybe Diggs can get out of Buffalo. But man.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mahomes MVP.
Wish they’d announce all this stuff after the Super Bowl.

“ Amusingly, it is “just” Mahomes’ second MVP award, and his first since his inaugural starting campaign in 2018. Mahomes has been the most valuable player in the league his entire five-year tenure as starter, but the narratives simply weren’t good enough for the media in 2019-21. This year’s narrative included leading the league in passing and aerial scores even though the Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins and replaced him with a smattering of role players. Without current peer and quickly rocketing up all-time best lists, Mahomes will look to add his second Lombardi Trophy against the Eagles in Super Bowl LVII on Sunday.”

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/ ... =headlines
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:21 am Mahomes MVP.
Wish they’d announce all this stuff after the Super Bowl.

“ Amusingly, it is “just” Mahomes’ second MVP award, and his first since his inaugural starting campaign in 2018. Mahomes has been the most valuable player in the league his entire five-year tenure as starter, but the narratives simply weren’t good enough for the media in 2019-21. This year’s narrative included leading the league in passing and aerial scores even though the Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins and replaced him with a smattering of role players. Without current peer and quickly rocketing up all-time best lists, Mahomes will look to add his second Lombardi Trophy against the Eagles in Super Bowl LVII on Sunday.”

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/ ... =headlines
Just like Bill...if you zoom out and catch your breath a little bit, he's far closer to #1 ever than #2 of his generation.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Brady, Manning vs. Mahomes for GOAT is like classical music versus improvised jazz. Mahomes is brillant at creating and is so entertaining. Brady and Manning much more methodical. Mortals can approach the Brady competence level through repetition. Mahomes has innate gifts and an arm like no other. Sometimes he will be backed by bad session players. But man. Cannot teach his methods. Best not to try. The off-hand flips and weird angle completions are nano second inventions. Charlie Parker belongs in KC.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

well-put, Sparko

his improvisation has always seemed to me to be his greatest quality
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?