March Madness 23

Kansas Basketball.
hoopla

Re: March Madness 23

Post by hoopla »

shindig wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:04 pm I think we are alright. Play the cards dealt. Prove the doubters wrong. Getting pummeled by TCU in Larry didn’t help. Also getting beat by Tejas in B12 tournament by double digits; also not good. Now, go prove them wrong.
i'm with you, shindig. get mccullar and self back in their roles and this is a much better team than the one that lost yesterday.
painter

Post by painter »

Hi, my Final Four picks suck

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You should never have a road game atmosphere as a one seed. And here we are again.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The TCU game was their peak. Saturday was UT's. Kansas hasn't peaked.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:10 pm Also:

Illinois being near us is a made for TV thing.

As is Auburn being in Alabama as a 9 seed. And UCLA and Gonzaga both being in the west. Gotta sell those tickets NCAA!

Ok, if/when we play Arkansas tell me how that Illinois being near us thing worked out - tv wise.

Forgive me for not understanding the Auburn being in Alabama thing.

Yes, both Gonzaga and UCLA are out west. So is Saint Mary's, ASU, Nevada, Grand Canyon, TCU, and Boise State. And?

Also, I know you realize the majority of the tickets are not sold to the general public and are distributed/sold to the schools, sponsors, etc. So..... What do ticket sales have to do with anything?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:28 pm Arkansas has a better eFG percentage defense than we do. We have had a tougher schedule but they aren’t a slouch there either at 19th.

They have a number of close losses.

I’d rather see Illinois even if it’s gonna be a Self storyline.
I'd rather see Illinois too. The Illinois team that's lost 6 of their last 10. Not the Illinois team that beat UCLA and Texas.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I don’t think we’re going to see UCLA
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:32 pm You should never have a road game atmosphere as a one seed. And here we are again.
Theres a fairly decent chance either KU or UCLA loses before that elite 8 matchup, I wouldn't stress it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Ever since the New Mexico/Stanford debacle, I've learned to not prefer any opponent in the 2nd round.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

hoopla wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:30 pm
shindig wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:04 pm I think we are alright. Play the cards dealt. Prove the doubters wrong. Getting pummeled by TCU in Larry didn’t help. Also getting beat by Tejas in B12 tournament by double digits; also not good. Now, go prove them wrong.
i'm with you, shindig. get mccullar and self back in their roles and this is a much better team than the one that lost yesterday.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm Ever since the New Mexico/Stanford/USC/Auburn/Wichita State/Northern Iowa/Kentucky/Rhode Island/UTEP/Auburn/ debacle, I've learned to not prefer any opponent in the 2nd round.
Fixed your post. Unfortunately.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:59 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm Ever since the New Mexico/Stanford/USC/Auburn/Wichita State/Northern Iowa/Kentucky/Rhode Island/UTEP/Auburn/ debacle, I've learned to not prefer any opponent in the 2nd round.
Yeah, but I was more speaking to the fact that it seemed like everyone on this board wanted (or maybe that was still the .com days) Stanford in the second round because New Mexico had "too much size".
Last edited by InfiniteJ on Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That doesn’t quite make sense.
I forgot who Wichita State played as the 7 but I remember preferring the 10.

And then Auburn I thought was a nasty 5 seed in 19 and I wanted no part and heavily cheering for New Mexico State to win and they almost did.

Finally I recall heavily cheering for Drake to beat USC and they almost did.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:03 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:59 pm
Yeah, but I was more speaking to the fact that it seemed like everyone one this board wanted (or maybe that was still the .com days) Stanford in the second round because New Mexico had "too much size".
Yes, I somewhat realized that.
I am a broken record when I say - careful what you wish for in the tournament.
That being said, if given a choice, my hope is after hopefully beating Howard, KU faces Illinois, Iona, Grand Canyon, Northern Kentucky, and Duke.
More realistically, I expect KU to play Arkansas, UConn, UCLA or Gonzaga, Houston or Texas, Arizona or Marquette.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:09 pm That doesn’t quite make sense.
I forgot who Wichita State played as the 7 but I remember preferring the 10.

And then Auburn I thought was a nasty 5 seed in 19 and I wanted no part and heavily cheering for New Mexico State to win and they almost did.

Finally I recall heavily cheering for Drake to beat USC and they almost did.
Yeah, "preferred" is the key word that I ignored. I was focusing more on all those games being "debacles".
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ained-2023

“ After a comeback win in the 2022 national title game -- they were down by 12 at halftime against North Carolina -- the Jayhawks seemed likely to take a step back. They had lost Ochai Agbaji and Christian Braun, a pair of first-round picks, in last summer's NBA draft. But Bill Self has assembled another strong roster that can handle any team in the country. Jalen Wilson (19.7 PPG, 8.4 RPG) is a projected All-American. Freshman Gradey Dick (14.3 PPG, 41% from 3) will make millions next year in the NBA. Kevin McCullar Jr. hit his stride down the stretch, connecting on 60% of his shots inside the arc from Feb. 1 through the end of the regular season. In that stretch, the Jayhawks were sixth in adjusted defensive efficiency (barttorvik.com). The best résumé in America is anchored by wins over Duke, Texas, Baylor, Indiana, Kansas State and Kentucky. The only flaw: The Jayhawks shot just 31% from 3 in their last nine regular-season games. Plus, the health issues that kept Self out of the Big 12 tournament could impact the Jayhawks if he doesn't return for the NCAA tournament. 5 stars”

We were down 15 at half. Not 12.
surly

Post by surly »

weird taking ku out kc. good grief. i won't attempt the rationale.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

FWIW (two nose hairs and an expired Amazon gift card?) Kansas is a 21.5 point favorite on FanDuel.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Supposedly we play at 1:00pm CT on Thursday.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not that it should matter but Howard is 17th in the Nation in 3 point percentage.