Robert f Kennedy jr

Ugh.
JKLivin
Contributor

Re: Robert f Kennedy jr

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:25 am
JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:53 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:47 am Better California than Florida.
Seems as if many people disagree with you, given that Florida's population is up for the eleventh consecutive year and California's is down for the third year in a row.
Yeah ok.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/farmers-in ... 00-people/

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-combat ... ge-1793928

Like I've said: the bill for getting high on culture war nonsense (very much including utter denial over climate change) is coming due. And it's gonna sting.
I believe Allstate and State Farm both pulled out of California in June of this year.

Teacher shortages are ubiquitous. They won't change until school districts commit to educating, not indoctrinating and allowing discipline back in the classroom.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Teachers are being abused by Red States. Indoctrinating means teaching actual facts in RW-speak. Fatuous arguments. Fatuous.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm Teachers are being abused by Red States. Indoctrinating means teaching actual facts in RW-speak. Fatuous arguments. Fatuous.
Indoctrinating means teaching about social issues and sexuality rather than history, math, and science. School is not the time to tell kids about your sexual orientation or your ardent belief in Marxist dogma.

The abuse is not from Red states, it is from administrators who expect teachers to babysit and offer mental health services to disturbed and disruptive children. Teachers are leaving because they are no longer allowed to teach, and I don't blame them.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

What is history about other than social issues? Memorizing dates?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:21 pm What is history about other than social issues? Memorizing dates?
I would note also that schools being daycares, ERs being primary care facilities, and so on...these things are the inevitable result of cutting off social programs at the knees. I believe that is, openly, a pub policy priority.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

defixione wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:21 pm What is history about other than social issues? Memorizing dates?
I think good teaching is teaching the material, not sharing your beliefs. In twenty plus years of teaching, I have always told my students that if they go away knowing my political and religious beliefs, I have failed at my job. My goal is for them to understand the theory to the level that they make their own decisions. What I think or believe is irrelevant.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that might be the smartest thing you’ve ever posted
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:27 pm
I would note also that schools being daycares, ERs being primary care facilities, and so on...these things are the inevitable result of cutting off social programs at the knees. I believe that is, openly, a pub policy priority.
I agree to a point. I also think that our culture has shifted away from taking responsibility for ourselves and our children. If you can't afford food, I have no problem with the school providing meals. On the other hand, when the school calls and says your child is failing or is disrupting class and you blame the teacher and/or tell the school it is their problem, that's over the line. I worked in the public school system for three years and have consulted with school districts for the better part of the last twenty. I've seen and heard pretty much everything imaginable.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:33 pm that might be the smartest thing you’ve ever posted
I'm not nearly as dumb as you think I am.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:31 pm
I think good teaching is teaching the material, not sharing your beliefs. In twenty plus years of teaching, I have always told my students that if they go away knowing my political and religious beliefs, I have failed at my job. My goal is for them to understand the theory to the level that they make their own decisions. What I think or believe is irrelevant.
I didn't say anything about sharing my beliefs. I'm talking about sharing the beliefs of those involved in the history you're teaching. Most kids leave high school thinking that the settlers treated the indigenous people like family.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:35 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:33 pm that might be the smartest thing you’ve ever posted
I'm not nearly as dumb as you think I am.
yet you still posted this gem “ Indoctrinating means teaching about social issues…”

it’s amazing how much more reasonable you are when you put thought into your posts, rather than just responding out of emotion
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

defixione wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 pm
I didn't say anything about sharing my beliefs. I'm talking about sharing the beliefs of those involved in the history you're teaching. Most kids leave high school thinking that the settlers treated the indigenous people like family.
I think you can do that without extrapolating to the degree that my older kids' teachers did. You can teach historical facts without telling students how to think about them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:57 pm

I think you can do that without extrapolating to the degree that my older kids' teachers did. You can teach historical facts without telling students how to think about them.
"Historical facts" does a lot of heavy lifting there. For example, there are many who do not think that systemic bias is a "historical fact" in our country's timeline.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

This is nutty. You can't go all "rOoT cAuSeS!" and then stop a third of the way back to the root.

Why -- say 50 years ago, prior to any social programs later hypothetically "cut off at the knees" -- were schools able to function as educational institutions and not day cares? Why were ER's NOT primary care facilities?

Social programs -- whatever their merit -- are responses to new social needs. If you're going to look for root causes, you can't stop at the programs. You have to look -- at the very least -- at what caused the perception that the programs were necessary. What caused the perceived crisis in the first place?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:59 pm

"Historical facts" does a lot of heavy lifting there. For example, there are many who do not think that systemic bias is a "historical fact" in our country's timeline.
Agreed. But the larger question is, then, what to do about it. When teachers start preaching that all White people are, by virtue of the color of their skin, culpable for bias that took place sixty years ago and that they owe something to people of color today because of it, I think that's taking things too far.

Recent scenario: as Department Chair, I fielded multiple student complaints against a Black female professor in my department. She was, by multiple accounts, being verbally abusive hostile to students. When they complained to her, she said that their concerns were not valid because of their "White fragility" and that they were just threatened because she was "a strong, educated Black woman." The irony was that two of the students who came to me with complaints were also Black, and six of the eight were female.

The bottom line is that they wanted to be taught counseling theory - as the name of the course promised they would - and they were instead being given multiple discourses on social justice, racism, White fragility, and chauvinism. When they expressed their concerns, she doubled down and began using class time to berate them, telling the students that she could do whatever she wanted "because I am a protected class." When they said they were going to file a complaint, she told them to go ahead "because Dr. Livin is White and can't do anything about it." When I talked to her about it, she readily admitted doing so said she was justified because of systemic racism.

Too far.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:00 pm
This is nutty. You can't go all "rOoT cAuSeS!" and then stop a third of the way back to the root.

Why -- say 50 years ago, prior to any social programs later hypothetically "cut off at the knees" -- were schools able to function as educational institutions and not day cares? Why were ER's NOT primary care facilities?

Social programs -- whatever their merit -- are responses to new social needs. If you're going to look for root causes, you can't stop at the programs. You have to look -- at the very least -- at what caused the perception that the programs were necessary. What caused the perceived crisis in the first place?
Taking prayer out of schools.

What do I win?

sorry/notsorry
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:00 pm

Stepping out from the thicket a bit - of course what we're talking about is responding to dynamic environments.

Certainly of the big changes we're digesting, some of them are implicated here:

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Agreed. But the larger question is, then, what to do about it. When teachers start preaching that all White people are, by virtue of the color of their skin, culpable for bias that took place sixty years ago and that they owe something to people of color today because of it, I think that's taking things too far.

Recent scenario: as Department Chair, I fielded multiple student complaints against a Black female professor in my department. She was, by multiple accounts, being verbally abusive hostile to students. When they complained to her, she said that their concerns were not valid because of their "White fragility" and that they were just threatened because she was "a strong, educated Black woman." The irony was that two of the students who came to me with complaints were also Black, and six of the eight were female.

The bottom line is that they wanted to be taught counseling theory - as the name of the course promised they would - and they were instead being given multiple discourses on social justice, racism, White fragility, and chauvinism. When they expressed their concerns, she doubled down and began using class time to berate them, telling the students that she could do whatever she wanted "because I am a protected class." When they said they were going to file a complaint, she told them to go ahead "because Dr. Livin is White and can't do anything about it." When I talked to her about it, she readily admitted doing so said she was justified because of systemic racism.

Too far.
I don't disagree. But nor do I think that you can really teach the "historical facts" of American history without addressing race.

It's all very complicated and fraught - so it's no small wonder that there are fewer and fewer people who want to make below-average incomes to teach.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:22 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Too far.
I don't disagree. But nor do I think that you can really teach the "historical facts" of American history without addressing race.

It's all very complicated and fraught - so it's no small wonder that there are fewer and fewer people who want to make below-average incomes to teach.
Agreed on all counts.