WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by pdub »

And I completely understand that.

There is more to Kansas basketball ( and Kansas football - otherwise, why would I try to keep watching every game in the last decade ) to me than winning.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:08 am
pdub wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:03 am Meh.
Give me the long game where Zuby surprises and becomes a senior AA ( and the years in between watching him get better ) over some dude in diamond stud earrings who had some awful video created of him and his oh so difficult process of accepting millions of dollars to chose Kansas for a year.
I'd rather have the guy who is almost certainly going to be an All American next year over the guy who might be in 3 years despite being stuck behind a teammate who is more likely to be (Udeh).
Not to mention Dickinson *could* be here 2 years. If he does, we don't see Zuby until his senior year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm excited to get hunter. But going all in on a center who doesn't play good defense is going to have some downside too.

Especially with the way the game has evolved. There will be some match-up and stretches of games where we have to pull him from the lineup
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Surrounding him by elite defenders will help hide hunters poor defense though. I'd call dajuan and kj elite defenders already, and we will see what some of these other guys can do
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't know about that.
I think he'll be serviceable on defense and a stud on offense -- so good that you can't pull him from the lineup.

I get why he's better for us from a talent stand point. That's obvious. No debate here at all.
Give me four years of Zuby over one year of "yeah, you're right, it's time..."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoda thunk folks could get so sentimental over a 1.2ppg guy.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:40 pm
TDub wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:56 pm hasbeen with a great analysis....remember this post....

cnb is usually better than that.
What happened to CNB? Haven't seen him around since the Super Bowl...
We all miss CNB, because the level of discussion has suffered in his absence.

Some people say he was the victim of a moderator whose emotional maturity is on par with that of our previous president's.

But, what do they know?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:37 am Whoda thunk folks could get so sentimental over a 1.2ppg guy.
I think its more us processing the new norm. Zuby was a talented young guy oozing with potential that genuinely wanted to be here
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:37 am Whoda thunk folks could get so sentimental over a 1.2ppg guy.
I think its more us processing the new norm. Zuby was a talented young guy oozing with potential that genuinely wanted to be here
I will be interested to see what the data looks like in 5-10 years as far as a study of the percentage of transfers that live up to their "potential" vs. the percentage of recruits that live up to their "potential" and the number of seasons of scholarships that it took to reach that potential. If you have to tie up 3-4 seasons of scholarships to get one good year out of Zuby, is that really the best path? Obviously the team is going to have to have a mix of each to be successful because we aren't going to always hit on our portal targets at the success rate we have this season. I think it will just be interesting to see what turns out to be the sweet spot in all this and how much it affects fan buy-in from a ticket purchasing/donation standpoint.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Feral wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:22 am We all miss CNB
speak for yourself.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:59 pm
Feral wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:22 am We all miss CNB
speak for yourself.
I don't think anyone could have guessed you wouldn't appreciate an intelligent, informative poster, like CNB.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm
I will be interested to see what the data looks like in 5-10 years as far as a study of the percentage of transfers that live up to their "potential" vs. the percentage of recruits that live up to their "potential" and the number of seasons of scholarships that it took to reach that potential. If you have to tie up 3-4 seasons of scholarships to get one good year out of Zuby, is that really the best path? Obviously the team is going to have to have a mix of each to be successful because we aren't going to always hit on our portal targets at the success rate we have this season. I think it will just be interesting to see what turns out to be the sweet spot in all this and how much it affects fan buy-in from a ticket purchasing/donation standpoint.
Older teams are better teams. Why waste time with freshman when you can scoop up proven commodities. The new norm for the better schools
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Let others develop them - just plug and play.

Real question: was McCullar better here or at TTech?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

randylahey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:28 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Older teams are better teams. Why waste time with freshman when you can scoop up proven commodities. The new norm for the better schools
And yet, despite massive roster shakeups, we still currently stand to bring in all the expected freshmen class. Heck, our first move this off-season was signing another freshy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oozing? More so than a guy like Udeh?

Zuby had nice, but not elite, size and athleticism, and maybe an above average feel for the game by freshman standards.

I think to regard him as anything more is just off-season message bored fanboy chatter.

But, time will tell. If he ends up a star elsewhere, maybe we can look back at him as the one who got away.

for real tho, anyone who thinks we’d be better with Zuby over Ernest and/or Hunter is borderline illy level hot takes
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We definitely wouldn't be better.
I'd enjoy watching next season more though.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Out of McDowell, Jackson, Johnson, and adams jr, how many of those 4 incoming freshman finish their career here?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AlOerter wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:09 pm Let others develop them - just plug and play.
Look at the teams that have made the final four since the transfer portal.

What you're describing has led to high preseason rankings. Developing players (with a few transfers mixed in here and there) has led to actual results.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Already can't stand this dude.

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

Dickinson, the No. 1 transfer in ESPN's rankings, said he made a "selfish" decision.

"But I just felt like, man, it was the best decision for me. It took a lot of courage. I don't think people realize how much courage it took for a guy who was there for three years, an All-American for the team."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... fer-kansas

No, Hunter, not everyone would leave their job right now for a 10,000 increase.
Not everyone is all about that money which you clearly are.
Sorry that you only got less than 6 figures along with the numerous of other ( things that would cost money ) benefits for attending a school.

And let's pump the brake with the courage comments.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, a poster shamelessly shitting all over KU players….but I thought Randy was banned?