Re: Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Post by Overlander »

His past will haunt him, as it should
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sounds like there’s a decent chance he may even loose votes in the next round
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I checked, it's true. In 16 years, Jordan has never voted in favor of a farm bill.

I don't have a feeling for how important that might be to rural republicans, but it sounds like a thing.

EX-GOP COUNTY PARTY CHAIR IN JIM JORDAN’S DISTRICT: “Jim Jordan has voted against every farm bill in his career… there’s a reason Speaker Boehner called him a legislative terrorist… Speaker of the house? NO WAY.”

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Jordan is incapable of supporting a cogent thought, let alone legislation. He is what a hate group produces with tantric mental masturbation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I do not think Jordan will end up with the gavel. But that's probably the most likely single outcome at this point.

In any case, we are seeing, in realtime, the Republican party sign its own death warrant. Either (1) a few normies will cross the line (in which case the Rs will internally splinter), or (2) the Rs will align behind an unserious oathbreaker who cannot actually get anything done (and the public has grown weary of the Rs' shit).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 am I do not think Jordan will end up with the gavel. But that's probably the most likely single outcome at this point.

In any case, we are seeing, in realtime, the Republican party sign its own death warrant. Either (1) a few normies will cross the line (in which case the Rs will internally splinter), or (2) the Rs will align behind an unserious oathbreaker who cannot actually get anything done (and the public has grown weary of the Rs' shit).
I haven't heard or read any updates this morning, but those are my thoughts. Although I'd add that they might grant a 30-day speakership to the current speaker pro-tem McHenry, to buy more time and deal with the Israel/Ukraine/border/Taiwan aid package, keep the government from closing down in a month, you know, GOVERNING for a fucking change, stuff.

SMH
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This snafu confirms that the existence of moderate republicans is a myth. They radical and very radical.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:00 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 am I do not think Jordan will end up with the gavel. But that's probably the most likely single outcome at this point.

I haven't heard or read any updates this morning, but those are my thoughts. Although I'd add that they might grant a 30-day speakership to the current speaker pro-tem McHenry, to buy more time and deal with the Israel/Ukraine/border/Taiwan aid package, keep the government from closing down in a month, you know, GOVERNING for a fucking change, stuff.

SMH
I do not support expansion of pro-tem powers. One, I think the Rs should be made to lie in the bed they've beshitted. Two, I do not trust - at all - that any deviation from rules and practice will NOT be weaponized.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:24 am

SMH
I do not support expansion of pro-tem powers. One, I think the Rs should be made to lie in the bed they've beshitted. Two, I do not trust - at all - that any deviation from rules and practice will NOT be weaponized.
I've thought about that too.

Does anyone remember how we got here? How republicans broke the debt-ceiling deal that McCarthy and Biden had agreed to in May, leading us back to the brink of yet ANOTHER republican-threatened government shut down in Sept?

The problem with not agreeing to a 30-day cease fire is that, republicans will weaponize the democratic refusal to agree as the reason for all the drama, exactly like they're currently blaming "all the democrats joined only 8 republicans to fire McCarthy, or we wouldn't be here now", bullshit.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:40 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:24 am

SMH
I've thought about that too.

Does anyone remember how we got here? How republicans broke the debt-ceiling deal that McCarthy and Biden had agreed to in May, leading us back to the brink of yet ANOTHER republican-threatened government shut down in Sept?

The problem with not agreeing to a 30-day cease fire is that, republicans will weaponize the democratic refusal to agree as the reason for all the drama, exactly like they're currently blaming "all the democrats joined only 8 republicans to fire McCarthy, or we wouldn't be here now", bullshit.
If they want to play the "the vile Dems won't change the rules to allow for our incompetence" then I suppose they can try to see how that plays out for them. I doubt it wins them any undecided voters.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

After listening to Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole's nomination speech for Jim Jordan as speaker just now, I think I might vote for him.

There are no perceptible moderates left in the republican party.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Jordan has failed the 2 vote.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Looks like by more than the 1st vote
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

clown show
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:57 am Looks like by more than the 1st vote
Sounds like interacting with Jordan as he stumped for votes turned off more people than it won over.

(Insert not shocked face gif here)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:14 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:57 am Looks like by more than the 1st vote
Sounds like interacting with Jordan as he stumped for votes turned off more people than it won over.

(Insert not shocked face gif here)
There has been a lot of anger over Hannity et al putting pressure on republican reps to vote for Jordan, which many republicans feel would be rewarding a small number of reps for ousting McCarthy originally.

Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
NBC News confirms: Before Jim Jordan's first defeat, the wife of Republican Rep. Don Bacon received anonymous messages warning him to back Jordan's speakership bid or risk being ousted.

One message: "Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. What a disappoint [sic] and failure he is."

Another: "Why is your husband causing chaos by not supporting Jim Jordan? I thought he was a team player."
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Coincidence?
The four Republicans who voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) on Tuesday but not today — Reps. Vern Buchanan (Fla.), Drew Ferguson (Ga.), Mariannette Miller-Meeks (Iowa) and Pete Stauber (Minn.) — don’t fall into the categories that many of the previous Jordan holdouts do.

None of them are on the House Appropriations Committee or the House Armed Services Committee. Nor are they members of the Problem Solvers Caucus, which is home to many moderate Republicans. And they don’t represent especially competitive districts.

But they have one thing in common: All four voted to certify President Biden as the winner of the 2020 election.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Speaking of "coincidences", released 7 minutes ago.

The coup never ended. Putting Jim Jordan in power is just another attempt.

This Is Your Coup, Jim Jordan
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:43 pm Coincidence?
The four Republicans who voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) on Tuesday but not today — Reps. Vern Buchanan (Fla.), Drew Ferguson (Ga.), Mariannette Miller-Meeks (Iowa) and Pete Stauber (Minn.) — don’t fall into the categories that many of the previous Jordan holdouts do.

None of them are on the House Appropriations Committee or the House Armed Services Committee. Nor are they members of the Problem Solvers Caucus, which is home to many moderate Republicans. And they don’t represent especially competitive districts.

But they have one thing in common: All four voted to certify President Biden as the winner of the 2020 election.
It's, ah, concerning that there's a great chance that the second person in line for the Presidency will be someone who believes, without evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol…doesn’t look like the house is even going to be able to grant temp. power to mchenry