NCAA 19-20

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: NCAA 19-20

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:20 pm
Ghost of dotNET past wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm I would think every arena would have a contingency plan as well. Like if the Sprint Center roof would cave, they'd move game to AFH or Kemper.
Lawrence has like 39 hotel rooms and Kemper no longer exists, but I get your point.

It sure seems the best way forward if you have to make a change is limiting crowd to 1000, aka team allotment only and paying the venues out of the TV revenue for loss.
What alternatives are there? Move all to Indianapolis? I can think of a city...called "Indianapolis"...that might object.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm Is that a city related event? I would think of a city related event meaning a sponsored 5k for st pattys day or movies in the park by the parks and rec dept. Etc.
Yeah I think city related means something that the city sponsors. The University of Houston is the Host and it's being run by a private entity (NCAA) Guy who tweeted it said he is confirming about status of NCAA.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

At the end of the day, I only want the games to be played. If that means no spectator then so be it. The only thing that matters now is winning the title. (Not to re open this debate, but...) we have proven we can dominate a conference for a decade and a half, we have proven we can beat other top teams in season, we have proven to have great players including all Americans and NPOYs. The only thing we need to do is win the whole damn thing. Period.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 pm At the end of the day, I only want the games to be played. If that means no spectator then so be it. The only thing that matters now is winning the title. (Not to re open this debate, but...) we have proven we can dominate a conference for a decade and a half, we have proven we can beat other top teams in season, we have proven to have great players including all Americans and NPOYs. The only thing we need to do is win the whole damn thing. Period.

Yes. At this point, everyone should put all their good juju into just getting it played.

I don’t care if the entire brackets run through a multi-court rec center with regions between the drop downs.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:52 pm Governor of Ohio just said that he will issue an order to NCAA that First 4 games in Dayton and the 1st and 2nd round games be played without spectators.

So there's the first really big domino to fall.

Meanwhile in Ohio...

https://twitter.com/5thyear/status/1237 ... 08769?s=21
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:52 pm Governor of Ohio just said that he will issue an order to NCAA that First 4 games in Dayton and the 1st and 2nd round games be played without spectators.

So there's the first really big domino to fall.

Meanwhile in Ohio...

https://twitter.com/5thyear/status/1237 ... 08769?s=21
I've been thinking the entire time about an empty arena in Houston/Indy, yet finding myself nuts to butts inside Louise's West, etc. then in a massive crowd on Mass Street.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Has any talk of how empty arenas might affect Vegas’ ability to handicap games/set prop bets?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And here’s the big one. NCAA advising against having fans spectating in the arena. Essential personnel and staff and family members of players.

https://twitter.com/phil_sanchez/status ... 74273?s=21
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm Is that a city related event? I would think of a city related event meaning a sponsored 5k for st pattys day or movies in the park by the parks and rec dept. Etc.
Yeah I think city related means something that the city sponsors. The University of Houston is the Host and it's being run by a private entity (NCAA) Guy who tweeted it said he is confirming about status of NCAA.
We may have just got our answer. They just cancelled the Houston Rodeo and Livestock show which was in progress and scheduled to run through march 22nd.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Basically it seems like tournament will happen. It will just be with family, staff and arena personnel and media in attendance.

This is most probably case, and likely to happen. I think it's wise for NCAA to say this too. Advise against it, but leave it still up to governments/officials in each place.

Deleted User 303

Post by Deleted User 303 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm And here’s the big one. NCAA advising against having fans spectating in the arena. Essential personnel and staff and family members of players.

https://twitter.com/phil_sanchez/status ... 74273?s=21
Get ready for the squeaks boys.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Given that we have played well away from home or on neutral sites, I think KU will be fine to play in empty arenas.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And Bill Self yelling "WAKE UP!" for the entire first half.

Deleted User 303

PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm Given that we have played well away from home or on neutral sites, I think KU will be fine to play in empty arenas.
Also, KU will be the overwhelming favorite, it won't allow opposing team's crowds ganging up on KU when they falter.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Last sentence leaves a TON of wiggle room.

https://twitter.com/andy_staples/status ... 52320?s=21

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's over the top, we are in an over the top culture, but as long as it's still played, i'm good.
Deleted User 303

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:38 pm I think it's over the top, we are in an over the top culture, but as long as it's still played, i'm good.
The expert opinion right here.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I have a feeling this will be harder on the under dog teams who normally would get the rest of the crowd cheering for upsets.

They say that defense travels. Well we are about to find out if it travels to nearly empty, lifeless stadiums.
Holidaysmore - 2005
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Empty stadiums would be great for the Jayhawks. They will overmatch teams and probably won't feel the pressure from fans when shots aren't falling.

That being said, if nobody is there and I can hear Hanni yelling through the TV, "What can Brown do for youuuuuuuuu", "He wants a 3, HE GETS A THREE"......oh my word that is going to really suck arse
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

LVCHawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 pm Empty stadiums would be great for the Jayhawks. They will overmatch teams and probably won't feel the pressure from fans when shots aren't falling.

That being said, if nobody is there and I can hear Hanni yelling through the TV, "What can Brown do for youuuuuuuuu", "He wants a 3, HE GETS A THREE"......oh my word that is going to really suck arse
I took a drink as I read that last sentence. About spit out my tea from laughing. That was well done.