Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Overlander »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:13 pm What would you prefer to call “tens of thousands of civilian casualties, thousands of civilian infrastructures destroyed, food water energy healthcare cut off, millions displaced?”
The tragic but inevitable consequence of decades of intentionally cultivated hatred, purposefully fomented resentment, and the cynical manipulation of millions of people for crass religious and ideological purposes.
So….Republicans
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:44 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:13 pm What would you prefer to call “tens of thousands of civilian casualties, thousands of civilian infrastructures destroyed, food water energy healthcare cut off, millions displaced?”
The tragic but inevitable consequence of decades of intentionally cultivated hatred, purposefully fomented resentment, and the cynical manipulation of millions of people for crass religious and ideological purposes.
So….Republicans
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

/thread
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Moving on.....
I could say either forgetting or including what happened yesterday, Elon Musk is a piece of shit human being. Sure, I can/will give him credit for a lot of things but first and foremost, I give him credit for being the smug/snide/condescending asshole he takes pleasure in being.
Just yesterday I was thinking about the amount of horrible divisive bullshit I see on Twitter/X and I know Musk gets off on it, and that it's 100% intentional - for "clicks".

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/15/media/el ... index.html

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/elon-m ... tacularly/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:13 pm Let’s try this:

What would you prefer to call “tens of thousands of civilian casualties, thousands of civilian infrastructures destroyed, food water energy healthcare cut off, millions displaced?”

Self-defense?

Freedom and democracy?

Just for the lulz?
DC gave you a much more profound response. I will give you a simplistic response.
I would call it unfortunate. I think/hope most reasonable people would/should feel that way.
Yes, I would also call it "self-defense".
No, I would not call it "freedom and democracy" but I do feel Israel has the right to exist as a free and "democratic" country.

You are free to call it whatever you want. "Genocide", "ethnic-cleansing", whatever works for you.
I know Israel and Hamas have two different objectives. The unfortunate thing for everyone is that Hamas knew exactly what would happen in response to October 7th and they didn't give a fuck that the citizens of Gaza would pay the price for it. Heck, many/most feel that was their (Hamas') ultimate goal. Have Israel retaliate and kill innocent Gazans to make Israel come off as the bad guys and increase hatred for Israel.
Of course two wrongs don't make a right but for every ounce of criticism (rightful or not) you have for the Israeli's, I would hope you would have a pound of criticism for Hamas.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

At least one of the representatives from Florida isn't white supremacist. I like Moskowitz more and more with time:

Jared Moskowitz Triggers Pete Sessions Over "Offensive" Trump Fact
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Poor, poor leon:

X Races to Contain Damage After Elon Musk Endorses Antisemitic Post

IBM, a major advertiser on X, has pulled its spending from the social media platform, whose employees are grappling with what to tell its other advertisers, according to internal messages.

Less than 24 hours after Elon Musk endorsed an antisemitic post on X as “the actual truth” of what Jewish people were doing, IBM paused its advertising on the social media platform as X’s chief executive, Linda Yaccarino, and others at the company scrambled on Thursday to contain the fallout.

X employees said on Thursday that they had gotten calls from advertisers wondering why Mr. Musk was making comments seen as antisemitic and why their ads were showing up next to white nationalist and Nazi content, according to internal messages that were viewed by The New York Times. IBM cut off about $1 million in advertising spending that it had committed to the platform for the last three months of the year, the messages said.

In a note to employees on Thursday morning, Ms. Yaccarino said that “X is a platform for everyone” and that “discrimination by everyone should STOP across the board.” She said the company had been clear about its work to fight antisemitism and discrimination, and later shared a similar message on X.

In a statement, IBM said it “has zero tolerance for hate speech and discrimination, and we have immediately suspended all advertising on X while we investigate this entirely unacceptable situation.”

Mr. Musk, who bought Twitter last year and renamed it X, has faced increasing criticism that he has tolerated and even encouraged antisemitic abuse on his social media platform. He has attacked George Soros, the financier who is a frequent target of antisemitic abuse, and threatened to sue the Anti-Defamation League, a rights group that has highlighted the rise in antisemitism on X.

On Wednesday, Mr. Musk went further when he agreed with a post from an X account accusing Jewish communities of pushing “hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” Jewish people are now “coming to the disturbing realization that those hordes of minorities that support flooding their country don’t exactly like them too much,” the account added.

“You have said the actual truth,” Mr. Musk replied to the post.

Jewish groups have compared the statement that Mr. Musk endorsed to the “Great Replacement Theory,” the far-right idea that minorities are replacing white European populations.

“It is the deadliest antisemitic conspiracy theory in modern U.S. history,” the American Jewish Committee, a U.S.-based Israel advocacy group, wrote on X on Thursday. “To amplify it on @X is incredibly dangerous.”

...On Thursday morning, X sales employees asked about Mr. Musk’s posts and what they could relay to their clients, according to messages seen by The Times. They also cited an article from Media Matters for America, a left-wing advocacy group, which showed that ads from major brands were appearing on X next to posts promoting white nationalist and Nazi perspectives.

“A lot of large advertisers have been called out in this article,” one employee wrote.

Another employee wrote that she was concerned because she worked with Apple, a major advertiser that was mentioned in the Media Matters piece, and asked if some of the posts “were manipulated.” An employee responded that the company’s trust and safety team, which has experienced layoffs and resignations, was “actively looking into this.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Disney, Apple among advertisers to pull business on X after Elon Musk's antisemitic post
Warner Bros., Paramount and IBM have also paused advertising on X as Musk faces backlash.

Tech billionaire Elon Musk faced a third day of backlash Friday from Jewish leaders, the White House and media advertisers including Disney and Apple after he embraced an antisemitic conspiracy theory earlier in the week, the latest in a pattern of his echoing anti-Jewish bigotry going back years.

Musk sparked the criticism with six words he posted Wednesday afternoon on X, the social media app he purchased a year ago. Responding to another user who had accused Jews of hating white people and who had expressed indifference to antisemitism, Musk wrote: “You have said the actual truth.”

Musk, the CEO of the automaker Tesla and the rocket company SpaceX, followed up his first tweet with criticism of the Anti-Defamation League, or ADL, an organization founded by Jews to oppose antisemitism. Musk has been feuding with the ADL for months over its efforts to reduce extremism on social media, a campaign that Musk says has cost X ad sales.

On Thursday morning, Jonathan Greenblatt, the ADL’s CEO, said Musk was acting dangerously.

“At a time when antisemitism is exploding in America and surging around the world, it is indisputably dangerous to use one’s influence to validate and promote antisemitic theories,” he wrote on X, with a screenshot of Musk’s six-word tweet.

The White House added its condemnation Friday as the backlash continued, saying that Musk had promoted “antisemitic and racist hate” against “our core values as Americans.”

Accounts with histories of espousing anti-Jewish views celebrated Musk’s tweet as welcome news and as confirmation that he agrees with them “on the JQ,” short for “Jewish question,” a term used by antisemites for decades.

“This is old-timey antisemitism with new lingo,” said A.J. Bauer, an assistant professor of journalism who studies right-wing movements and media at the University of Alabama.

Musk announced a content policy Friday that the ADL welcomed, saying that X would suspend accounts that use the phrase “from the river to the sea.” The phrase is popular among many Palestinians, while many Jews say the phrase means the eradication of Israel.

But otherwise, Musk was defiant about his comments earlier in the week. His tweets from Wednesday were still online, and Friday, he posted on X that free speech was at stake and that he would not be pressured.

“I am sticking to my principles!” he replied to one user.

“As for any fake advocacy groups who seek to suppress free speech, they should remember that karma is real,” he added.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gee, the guy who has let it be known he suffers from multiple mental illnesses, has/had 11 kids and named a few of them X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Sideræl, and Techno Mechanicus, is known as a tyrant and an asshole by many of those who work/ed for him, has progressed (and continues to progress) in to someone who is trying to use his wealth and power to control and divide people?
Who would/could have guessed it?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:44 am Gee, the guy who has let it be known he suffers from multiple mental illnesses, has/had 11 kids and named a few of them X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Sideræl, and Techno Mechanicus, is known as a tyrant and an asshole by many of those who work/ed for him, has progressed (and continues to progress) in to someone who is trying to use his wealth and power to control and divide people?
and yet, look how many reasonable people here, nationally, and globally, continue to patronize twitter and in essence support him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:48 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:44 am Gee, the guy who has let it be known he suffers from multiple mental illnesses, has/had 11 kids and named a few of them X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Sideræl, and Techno Mechanicus, is known as a tyrant and an asshole by many of those who work/ed for him, has progressed (and continues to progress) in to someone who is trying to use his wealth and power to control and divide people?
and yet, look how many reasonable people here, nationally, and globally, continue to patronize twitter and in essence support him
Today In: Damning with faint praise.

Damning with faint praise is an English idiom, expressing oxymoronically that half-hearted or insincere praise may act as oblique criticism or condemnation. In simpler terms, praise is given, but only given as high as mediocrity, which may be interpreted as passive-aggressive...
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:54 am

Damning with faint praise is an English idiom, expressing oxymoronically that half-hearted or insincere praise may act as oblique criticism or condemnation. In simpler terms, praise is given, but only given as high as mediocrity, which may be interpreted as passive-aggressive...
i don’t eat at chic-filet, shop at hobby lobby, or buy nutella either
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 am

Me either.

I also don't drink Coors beer, buy things made by Nestle, or shop at Home Depot* unless I can't find what I need anywhere else.

*Lowes treats its employees much better, and doesn't support insurrectionist fascist traitors, as far as I know.
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

cool. less malcontents glutting up the chickfilet drive thru line. more delicious chicken for me.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I will likely be in the culvers drive thru line tonight. So you better stay away. if they will serve the likes of me. you want nothing to do with it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 am
KUTradition wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 am

Me either.

I also don't drink Coors beer, buy things made by Nestle, or shop at Home Depot* unless I can't find what I need anywhere else.

*Lowes treats its employees much better, and doesn't support insurrectionist fascist traitors, as far as I know.
every corporation has nastiness within if you look.

I use home depot because they're the only thing within 2 hrs of me.

I drink coors because it is, by far, the best tasting of the Americans (id say best tasting period, but I'm just a low down hillbilly so I'll limit it to American macros for you sophisticated folk).
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I love brucespringsteen. but I can’t listen to him. he’s not my politics. oh no.

I love kidrock. but i can’t listen to him. he’s not my politics. oh no.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:55 pm I love brucespringsteen. but I can’t listen to him. he’s not my politics. oh no.

I love kidrock. but i can’t listen to him. he’s not my politics. oh no.
Are you ok?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

just want to make sure that whatever moves i make lines up with my politics.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yep. It's crazy world full of crazy ignorant people - such as myself.

I had someone give me shit on X/Twitter because I don't pay to have a blue check mark next to my user name.
My response was, Elon has enough money and as long as I use his site maybe he should be paying me.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:55 pm
Yep. It's crazy world full of crazy ignorant people - such as myself.

I had someone give me shit on X/Twitter because I don't pay to have a blue check mark next to my user name.
My response was, Elon has enough money and as long as I use his site maybe he should be paying me.
^^^

You, the user, are the product eLeon is selling to advertisers.

If not for the user(s), advertisers wouldn't pay money to eLeon to get access to you.

And because he hates Jews, apparently, fewer and fewer advertisers are willing to pay him.
Anand Giridharadas