COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by pdub »

These are 18-19 year old people - call em adults if you want, and they technically are, but generally 18 year olds do stupid things and a number of them don't care as much about others at that point in their lives.

I don't think they need to die because they are making a choice you aren't comfortable with.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's not a matter of executing them. But unfortunately they just cannot be helped from engaging in stupidly risky behaviors. It gets people's panties all in a bunch when we have to take extreme measures (like closing The Hawk, The Wheel etc.), but the kids haven't suggested they can be trusted with responsibility.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Man. Im glad no one here ever made questionable decisions or engaged in questionable behavior at 18-22
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We started classes yesterday. I haven't seen a student not wearing a mask yet, including outside. They've all been social distancing. Now this is a Monday and Tuesday during class time. Maybe it's different on a Friday night. But 18-22 can be very responsible.

I've seen plenty of people my age on up acting a fool. Most of the people you see arguing that they don't need to wear a mask tend to be older than college age.

There are idiots in every age group and clearly alcohol exacerbates that.

It's funny to me that this board is so quick to shame colleges for re-opening, sending kids to school and people going to Sturgis, etc. yet seem to be cool with 15K fans attending football games live, BLM protests, and shooting 36 holes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:39 am Man. Im glad no one here ever made questionable decisions or engaged in questionable behavior at 18-22
I'm very glad that I wasn't 18-22 at a time when making bad decisions was perfectly foreseeable to result in prolonging/exacerbating the worst public health crisis in at least 100 years.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:37 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:07 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 pm JFC they are just college kids. I think wishing death on them is a little extreme.
why make excuses for them? this isn’t february or march, the writing has been on the wall for months. why do they get a pass for being selfish?

if they or anyone else is crowding bars and going to crowded house parties, fuck them...they’re part of the reason we’re still in this mess

you must like this “new normal”
I am not making excuses for them. Just not wishing death on them.

Bars shouldnt even be allowed to be open imo...but they are because adults in power have decided they are essential enough. Gyms schools offices etc. None of it should be open if "stopping" the spread was the goal....but that wasnt our goal...our goal was "slowing" the spread so that hospitals didnt become so overloaded that people were dying in a waiting line in the parking lot. Other smaller countries had the discipline to try to "stop" the spread and many succeeded. We are too big. Too free. Too self centered. Freedom has a price.

Are you going to go wish death on grade schoolers and their parents in the opening schools safely thread? Because those are going to be just as risky/bad for slowing the spread as bars.

The vast majority of this country's response has been some form of selfish. Too many things deemed "essential". Nothing was closed down nearly long enough. Not nearly enough people had the desire to take it seriously (for many reasons like: political beliefs/thinking it is all to bring down trump, or because the virus isnt deadly enough, or because they dont have a vulnerable enough family member to attempt to protect, etc).

So basically our country has decided to go the herd immunity route whether intentionally or unintentionally or both. When the vaccine is ready not even half of us will get it....so basically we are another 25million cases and 750k deaths away from achieving that "goal". I am doing my best to make sure me and mine arent included in either of those numbers.

It is frustrating, but i am not wishing death on college kids who have decided their risk is so low that they arent giving up their fun for it.

What this should tell everyone is that when a future pandemic comes that is extremely deadly AND highly contagious you better be ready to be able to provide food for yourself and protect your homes/gardens/supplies....because we have now shown what our resposne will be and there will be a non zero chance that society breaks down in a bad way....just look what goes in in cities like chicago when the police stop enforcing the law. That wont only be retail stores when food runs out and grocery stores close. When that happens i am moving to TDubs house LOL

Sorry end rant. 🙈🙊
elementary-aged kids? that’s just silly, as they don’t know any better. their parents are another story entirely. it’s a bit anecdotal, but i’ve seen too many interviews and read too many comments from parents that are literally sick of their kids. i genuinely question just how much of their wanting their kids back in school has to do with the kids’ well-being versus their own frustration. i can’t help but laugh, and then cringe at the comments coming from parents who are ether just sick of 24/7 babysitting, or who themselves can’t handle the “work” that their kids are supposed to be doing. and these aren’t junior high or high school parents. they’re elementary parents.

and as an aside, i genuinely question the science behind some, cdc included, that say the harm being done to kids by distance learning is greater than the risk of sending them back to school. kids, in general, are fucking resilient, and while distance learning may not be ideal, is it really worse than potential death or long-term health issues? plus, it’s really just a giant experiment with kids as the guinea pigs. these times are unprecedented, so how could anyone know what the long-term implications of distance learning are, particularly on this magnitude.

listen, i get it, some families are in sticky situations where they have no other option but to have their kid/s go back to school, fir a whole host of reasons. those aren’t the folks i’m talking about.

and back to my original point, the governors and elected representatives that have been callous and ignorant from the get-go (looking at you, georgia governor), DERSERVE to get the virus. they’re decisions and inaction directly resulted in preventable deaths. obviously, nearly everyone made mistakes/missteps early on while we were all still learning about this beast, but like i said in regards to the college kids...the writing has been on the wall for months, yet some persisted in their ignorance/selfishness/politicization
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:39 am Man. Im glad no one here ever made questionable decisions or engaged in questionable behavior at 18-22
questionable?

just stop...these behaviors are so far beyond just being questionable
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:08 am
I'm very glad that I wasn't 18-22 at a time when making bad decisions was perfectly foreseeable to result in prolonging/exacerbating the worst public health crisis in at least 100 years.
Me too. I hope I wouldve done better. There is a certain invincibility mindset prevalent in that age range
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:53 am We started classes yesterday. I haven't seen a student not wearing a mask yet, including outside. They've all been social distancing. Now this is a Monday and Tuesday during class time. Maybe it's different on a Friday night. But 18-22 can be very responsible.

I've seen plenty of people my age on up acting a fool. Most of the people you see arguing that they don't need to wear a mask tend to be older than college age.

It's funny to me that this board is so quick to shame colleges for re-opening, sending kids to school and people going to Sturgis, etc. yet seem to be cool with 15K fans attending football games live, BLM protests, and shooting 36 holes.
Not everything is equal to everything else.

I don't think football games should have fans.

Shooting 36 holes is, in and of itself, an exceptionally low-risk activity.

Protests are a much riskier activity. And I really don't want to get into the politics of that particular movement. Suffice it to say that it's stupid to suggest that, if going to bars is restricted/prohibited, then so should be one's right to peacefully protest.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:10 am
questionable?

Youre right, fuckem, hope they all die.

Thats a reasonable stance.....
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I drove drunk more than I care to admit in college.
That endangered my life and others.
It was dumb and questionable and I might say more of a risk to threaten lives than going out to a bar without a mask for a night.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

^^^ that was going to be my comment as well

Note. Im not syaing it's acceptable or that i condone these bar activities in the current climate....im just saying that I dont wish death upon them.
Last edited by TDub on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:53 am We started classes yesterday. I haven't seen a student not wearing a mask yet, including outside. They've all been social distancing. Now this is a Monday and Tuesday during class time. Maybe it's different on a Friday night. But 18-22 can be very responsible.

1) I dont have an issue with colleges trying to open. I can just see that it is going mostly exactly how I feared it was going to go. If my daughter's meh boyfriend brings COVID home from school and gives it to us, he will be banned from my house for a long time which may be a net positive. How's that for looking at the bright side?
2) I am sending my kid back to school despite my anxiety and fear over it because it is important to their mental health and our school seems to be trying hard to reduce the risk. That's all I have asked of them and it would be hypocritical of me to not support them for doing what I have asked.
3) Going to Sturgis is fucking dumb but I would feel that way if COVID wasn't here. I have a bad feeling that the likelihood of it being a super spreader event is not small. Fingers crossed that they canceled enough events up there for it to not be a total disaster.
4) I might go to a football game outside if early reports about the safety precautions are good, mask wearing is done as much as possible and we don't see spikes after the first few weeks. I really do want our economy to get running again and lots of low paying jobs rely on live sporting events for income.
5) BLM protests. I personally did not participate but who am I to tell people to please push the pause button on their rage at a group of citizens not being treated equally in the eyes of the law. And the protests forced a ton of people to stay home so it appears the net rssult from a COVID perspective have not been dramatically negative.
6) Golf? I assume you include this only because you enjoy getting Illy all riled up. It doesn't belong in this conversation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 am I drove drunk more than I care to admit in college.
That endangered my life and others.
It was dumb and questionable and I might say more of a risk to threaten lives than going out to a bar without a mask for a night.
Except that I'm not sure the math works out on that. It's just that the consequences of going to a bar (and I don't mean a table at a restaurant) maskless are so far removed from the activity. But at any time as R0 is above 1, then you infecting one other person is likely to have a cascading effect that results in someone being hospitalized, or worse.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

protests forced a bunch of people to stay home is the dumbest argument on this site. People were home because of lockdowns not because of protests. Defend the protests all you want, but say its a value or a risk vs reward argument....not because it "forced people to stay home"
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 am
questionable?

these are not reasonable times

we aren’t talking about reasonable people
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:09 am elementary-aged kids? that’s just silly, as they don’t know any better. their parents are another story entirely. it’s a bit anecdotal, but i’ve seen too many interviews and read too many comments from parents that are literally sick of their kids. i genuinely question just how much of their wanting their kids back in school has to do with the kids’ well-being versus their own frustration. i can’t help but laugh, and then cringe at the comments coming from parents who are ether just sick of 24/7 babysitting, or who themselves can’t handle the “work” that their kids are supposed to be doing. and these aren’t junior high or high school parents. they’re elementary parents.

and as an aside, i genuinely question the science behind some, cdc included, that say the harm being done to kids by distance learning is greater than the risk of sending them back to school. kids, in general, are fucking resilient, and while distance learning may not be ideal, is it really worse than potential death or long-term health issues? plus, it’s really just a giant experiment with kids as the guinea pigs. these times are unprecedented, so how could anyone know what the long-term implications of distance learning are, particularly on this magnitude.

listen, i get it, some families are in sticky situations where they have no other option but to have their kid/s go back to school, fir a whole host of reasons. those aren’t the folks i’m talking about.

and back to my original point, the governors and elected representatives that have been callous and ignorant from the get-go (looking at you, georgia governor), DERSERVE to get the virus. they’re decisions and inaction directly resulted in preventable deaths. obviously, nearly everyone made mistakes/missteps early on while we were all still learning about this beast, but like i said in regards to the college kids...the writing has been on the wall for months, yet some persisted in their ignorance/selfishness/politicization
I am totally with you about the "why" behind some parents "need" in person learning. It is so obvious at times, especially on social media.

Also agree on the whole "mental health" thing for kids. It is total bullshit imo. There are other ways to make sure your kid isnt sad couped up in the house...now i am obviously not speaking about kids from abusive households where school was their outlet. But at the same time 8hrs at school shouldnt be the only way we try to protect those kids and save them from those situations.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:16 am

questionable?

Then go ahead and wish death on college kids. Good for you.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

we both agree that its fucking stupid. But, comeon.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:17 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:16 am

Then go ahead and wish death on college kids. Good for you.
college kids and everyone else that’s being overtly selfish

you wanna defend the assholes that are punching, or worse, workers who are only trying to do their jobs by enforcing mask and social distancing mandates at places of business?

fuck you too then