Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Shirley »

Posted ~ 1 hour ago:

(What horrible news.)

Video shows dozens of bodies after alleged attack at UN-run school in Gaza

A school run by the United Nations in northern Gaza has been hit with apparently devastating impact, the UN confirmed Saturday, in what a top UN official described as a “horrifying” incident.

Video from al-Fakhoura School in Jabalya – which was being used as a shelter for displaced people – shows bloodied bodies across a series of rooms on two floors of the two-story building. Many women and children are among the dead.

One room appears to contain about a dozen bodies lying on the floor covered in dust. Desks are strewn and smashed up and a huge hole can be seen in one of the room’s walls. In the building courtyard, a canopy roof across a metal structure appears to have been torn off, and debris is visible on the ground.

Juliette Touma, a spokesperson for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, which runs the schools in Palestinian refugee camps and serves as the main UN relief agency in Gaza, confirmed the incident. The total number of casualties remains unclear, she said, as information is still coming in.

Touma could not confirm what caused the incident, nor who was responsible.

UNRWA chief Philippe Lazzarini, who called the images “horrifying” in a post on X (formerly Twitter), said thousands of displaced people had been sheltering there at the time of the incident.

The Israeli military is reviewing the incident, it told CNN, but had no further comment.

Egypt and Qatar have already blamed Israel’s military campaign in the battered enclave for the incident. The Egyptian Foreign Ministry called it a “bombing”, and said it was the latest in a series of Israeli violations against civilians in Gaza.

Qatar called on independent investigators from the United Nations to go to Gaza to examine what it described as the “ongoing targeting of schools and hospitals.”

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Asra Nomani

@AsraNomani
Hi there
@SusanSarandon
this is my mom, my dad and me on the rail trail in Morgantown, West by God Virginia. Let me tell you what it means to be Muslim in America.

First, your backstory: At an anti-Israel protest in NYC, you just said, "There are a lot of people that are afraid, that are afraid of being Jewish at this time, and are getting a taste of what it feels like to be a Muslim in this country.”

Let me give you “a taste” of what it “feels like” to be a Muslim in America:

✅🇺🇸 My dad didn’t have to become a second-class indentured servant to one of the many tyrants of Muslim countries that use immigrants from India, like my family, as essential slaves. In 1975, after getting his PhD at Rutgers, he was about to go to Libya — a Muslim country — led by a Muslim, Moammar Qhadafi, to work like a servant with a PhD for a wealthy dictator…but then the phone rang one day and I picked it up…

✅🇺🇸 It was West Virginia University calling, and my dad got a job as an assistant professor of nutrition. He got rejected first for tenure but being Muslim in America meant he got a right like everybody got — his right to appeal and guess what? He won and he became a full professor. That’s what it means to be Muslim in America. You get your full rights, like
@DrZuhdiJasser
has wished for his family in the Muslim nation of Syria, where a Muslim dictator destroys the lives of Muslims.

✅🇺🇸 My mom? Being Muslim in America meant she got to live FREE with the wind in her hair, like
@AlinejadMasih
fights for women in the Muslim nation of Iran to be able to enjoy.

✅🇺🇸 And what did living free mean for my mom as a Muslim in America? It meant in 1981 she got to start a business on High Street in downtown Morgantown, called Ain’s International. That is something that
@miss9afi
wished women could have had the right to do in the Muslim nation of Saudi Arabia. But guess what? That entrepreneurship and financial independence is denied Muslim women in so many Muslim countries.

✅🇺🇸 That summer my mom started her business, I got on a plane at Pittsburgh airport for Tahlequah, Oklahama, and I went away from home at 16 for a National Science Foundation camp — without a male chaperone, a right denied Muslim women and girls in Saudi for so long.

✅🇺🇸 In another “taste” of being Muslim in America? My family got a pathway to citizenship. You think the Muslim dictatorship of Qatar allows a pathway to citizenship for Muslim slaves, servants or Palestinian Muslims? Hell no. The Muslim Al-Thani family just buys citizenship for Muslim soccer stars from countries in Africa to steal World Cup wins. But otherwise it treats non-Qatari Muslims like slaves. America? My family waited, took the test, studied the constitution and we are citizens — hallelujah!

✅🇺🇸 I’m going to fast forward because this is just a “taste” of what it means to be Muslim in America. In 2002, I fled Pakistan with a souvenir that could have gotten me imprisoned or killed: a baby growing inside of me, a wedding ring not upon my hand. Sharia law makes sex out of marriage a crime in Muslim countries like Pakistan. My body? The mullah’s tyranny. And even dare to be atheist like
@YasMohammedxx
? It’s also a crime punishable by death — in Muslim countries but not in America!

✅🇺🇸 Where do you think I came to give birth to my baby in safety and security, without shame? West by God Virginia in the United States of America — where we enjoy equal rights as Muslim AmeriCANs, not AmeriCANTs.

This is a “taste” of life for a Muslim family in America. Please don’t minimize the experience of Jewish Americans by sanitizing the hell that it is for Muslims living in Muslim countries and vilifying America for the life — and freedoms — she offers Muslims like my family. Go, live like a Muslim woman in a Muslim country.

You will come back to America and kiss the land beneath your feet. 🇺🇸

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Wow Gutter, powerful stuff!

When I saw Susan Sarandon's name at the top, I wasn't optimistic. But I take it this a reply to some (likely stupid) statement she made?

(I'd click on it and find out for myself, but I might be judged harshly...)
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Here's a short video from Politico of Bill Clinton during Hillary's 2016 campaign responding to a question from the audience: "What about Gaza?" Extremely enlightening:

Bill Clinton: ‘I killed myself to give the Palestinians a state’

(Here's a transcript, but it isn't exactly what he said, which makes an even better point, imo.)

“She and the Muslim Brotherhood president of Egypt stopped the shooting war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza,” Clinton responded.

“She said neutrality is not an option,” the spectator said, prompting boos from the audience, but Clinton told them to stop.

“Depends on whether you care what happens to the Palestinians as opposed to the Hamas government and the people with guided missiles,” the former president answered.

“They were human beings in Gaza,” the audience member said.

“Yes, they were,” Clinton said. “And Hamas is really smart. When they decide to rocket Israel, they insinuate themselves in the hospitals, in the schools, in the highly populous areas, and they are smart.”

The line prompted applause, and he continued: “They said they try to put the Israelis in a position of either not defending themselves or killing innocents. They’re good at it. They’re smart. They’ve been doing this a long time.”

“I killed myself to give the Palestinians a state. I had a deal they turned down that would have given them all of Gaza,” Clinton said.

He then praised Hillary Clinton, who served as secretary of state from 2009 to 2013, for setting up meetings between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

“There’s nobody who’s blameless in the Middle East, but we cannot really ever make a fundamental difference in the Middle East unless the Israelis think we care whether they live or die. If they do, we have a chance to keep pushing for peace,” Clinton said. “And that’s her position. Not to agree with the Israeli government on everything, not to pretend that innocents don’t die, not to pretend that more Palestinian children don’t die than Israeli children. But that we can’t get anything done unless they believe, when the chips are down, if somebody comes for them we will not let them be wiped out and become part of the dustbin of history.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:06 am Wow Gutter, powerful stuff!

When I saw Susan Sarandon's name at the top, I wasn't optimistic. But I take it this a reply to some (likely stupid) statement she made?

(I'd click on it and find out for myself, but I might be judged harshly...)
She has made many statements.
I have ZERO issue with her continuously posting "Pro Palestine" support - as long as it's not "Pro-Hamas".
I have a BIG issue with her continuously posting "Anti-Israel" propaganda.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://x.com/meetthepress/status/17262 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

NEW: Among voters 18-34, 70% disapprove of Pres. Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war in the @NBCNews national poll.

@SteveKornacki: “He is 50 points underwater with the youngest group of voters.”

@kwelkernbc: “It’s a critical group he needs in order to win re-election.”
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:43 am https://x.com/meetthepress/status/17262 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

NEW: Among voters 18-34, 70% disapprove of Pres. Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war in the @NBCNews national poll.

I would guess 70% of those 70% can't tell you one valid reason why they disprove of Biden's handling of the Israel-Hamas war.
Regardless, I think Old Balls Joey is done. Maybe (probably?) even if Donnie isn't his opponent.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

of course he's done. he's done. dt is done. the American people are done.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:43 am https://x.com/meetthepress/status/17262 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

I would guess 70% of those 70% can't tell you one valid reason why they disprove of Biden's handling of the Israel-Hamas war.
But I'll bet a fair number of them can tell you where they get their politics news and opinions. And it ain't the Washington Post or the Wall Street Journal.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

thank God young people don't vote. cause they don't know $#!t.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

larpers
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’d be curious to know how the Holocaust was taught to that group of 18-34 year olds
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:56 am i’d be curious to know how the Holocaust was taught to that group of 18-34 year olds
...and you're backing into the insidiousness of the whitewashing of history disguised as enhancing "parental rights."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:35 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:56 am i’d be curious to know how the Holocaust was taught to that group of 18-34 year olds
...and you're backing into the insidiousness of the whitewashing of history disguised as enhancing "parental rights."
knowingly and intentionally so
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

some positive news coming out
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

November 22, 2023-Israel and Hamas have reached an agreement that will lead to the release of 50 hostages. The four day pause in the fighting is an opportunity for Israel to redraft its strategy. I hope they use that opportunity well.

Mitchell Minute 1729-The Hostage Deal
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... as/676073/#

What hamas Promises, Iranians Know Too Well
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

That looks like an interesting article Trad. I started it at the Atlantic but my subscription has lapsed but I found it on Apple News.

As much as those who take Hamas' side after their recent terror attack in Israel and what has followed in Gaza vis-a-vis the Palestinians, one thing that never seems to come up is any consideration of why the other Arab/Muslim states in the region, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc., etc., do very, very little to help the Palestinians they seem to care about so much periodically, whenever it fits their agenda. What if, instead of arming their proxy militia groups like Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthi rebels in Yemen, Hamas, etc., etc., the Iranians instead used that considerable amount of money and those resources to help the Palestinians? Why not?

WHY JORDAN ARMY KILLED 25000 PALESTINIAN'S | THE STORY OF BLACK SEPTEMBER
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:43 pm That looks like an interesting article Trad. I started it at the Atlantic but my subscription has lapsed but I found it on Apple News.

As much as those who take Hamas' side after their recent terror attack in Israel and what has followed in Gaza vis-a-vis the Palestinians, one thing that never seems to come up is any consideration of why the other Arab/Muslim states in the region, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc., etc., do very, very little to help the Palestinians they seem to care about so much periodically, whenever it fits their agenda. What if, instead of arming their proxy militia groups like Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthi rebels in Yemen, Hamas, etc., etc., the Iranians instead used that considerable amount of money and those resources to help the Palestinians? Why not?

WHY JORDAN ARMY KILLED 25000 PALESTINIAN'S | THE STORY OF BLACK SEPTEMBER
i saw it in my Apple News feed as well (i’ve used up my free reads)

the perspectives of those in neighboring Arab states, i think, haven’t been documented/publicized enough

that article made the same argument about khameini that i’ve made about hamas. both entities came to power by offering a specific view of the future…a view that overwhelmingly hasn’t come to pass

at what point do the people writ large realize this and stand up? do they ever?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Musk should be required to register as an agent under FARA.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/24/business/ ... ck-report/