COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by TDub »

Its not nonsense. Its Trad's position and, I assume, directed at him.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't read JFish's stuff so I have to guess he's being holier-than-thou in his responses.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturg ... index.html

Gee, didn't see this coming.....

A person who spent hours at a bar during the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota last week has tested positive for Covid-19, state health officials said Tuesday.

South Dakota Department of Transportation officials tracked over 462,000 vehicles entering Sturgis during the rally, according to CNN affiliate KDLT/KSFY. That total is a 7.5% decline from the previous year but still represents one of the largest gatherings since the coronavirus pandemic began.
Many of those gathered did not wear masks or keep distance from others, most notably at a concert for the rock band Smash Mouth.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Many of those gathered did not wear masks or keep distance from others, most notably at a concert for the rock band Smash Mouth."

Somebody once told me, the world is gonna roll me,
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

If you’re going to a smash mouth concert in 2020, probably deserve the Rona
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NiceDC wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 pm If you’re going to a smash mouth concert in 2020, probably deserve the Rona
This
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Nice re-election ploy there Trumpy. We know good and damn well there won't be a vaccine anywhere close to October.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1301259143790157827?s=20
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

some folks need to check their history on what happened when polio vaccines were rushed to market

i’m constantly amazed at how ignorant, selfish and short-sighted some people are
Deleted User 318

I think Thalidomide is more relevant.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:26 pm some folks need to check their history on what happened when polio vaccines were rushed to market

i’m constantly amazed at how ignorant, selfish and short-sighted some people are
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

For those interested since i had no idea.
Deleted User 318

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm Meh. I don't think he will be able to "hide" them. And tbh for most of us it is our local numbers that are the most important to pay attention to. Those numbers are released daily by our state health departments so it should be easy enough to catch him up when/if he tries to lie about the numbers (more/again/as usual). Our media is pretty good at catching him up in his lies, this wont be any different.
Really well said. The left wing hysteria on this is kinda ignorant.
“Hysteria.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/1 ... -19-412809

Trump officials interfered with CDC reports on Covid-19

The health department’s politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports’ authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency’s reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.

CDC officials have fought back against the most sweeping changes, but have increasingly agreed to allow the political officials to review the reports and, in a few cases, compromised on the wording, according to three people familiar with the exchanges. The communications aides’ efforts to change the language in the CDC’s reports have been constant across the summer and continued as recently as Friday afternoon.
The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the health department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether.

Caputo and his team have attempted to add caveats to the CDC's findings, including an effort to retroactively change agency reports that they said wrongly inflated the risks of Covid-19 and should have made clear that Americans sickened by the virus may have been infected because of their own behavior, according to the individuals familiar with the situation and emails reviewed by POLITICO.

Caputo's team also has tried to halt the release of some CDC reports, including delaying a report that addressed how doctors were prescribing hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug favored by Trump as a coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The report, which was held for about a month after Caputo’s team raised questions about its authors’ political leanings, was finally published last week. It said that "the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

In one clash, an aide to Caputo berated CDC scientists for attempting to use the reports to "hurt the President" in an Aug. 8 email sent to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other officials that was widely circulated inside the department and obtained by POLITICO.

"CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration," appointee Paul Alexander wrote, calling on Redfield to modify two already published reports that Alexander claimed wrongly inflated the risks of coronavirus to children and undermined Trump's push to reopen schools. "CDC tried to report as if once kids get together, there will be spread and this will impact school re-opening . . . Very misleading by CDC and shame on them. Their aim is clear."
Deleted User 310

So they reviewed the reports and asked to change some wording a few times? That is hardly manipulation of the actual numbers themselves, which was the main concern.

And tbh, as bad as our numbers are, how could anyone even think the numbers are being altered in a significant way to look unrealistically positive? We are doing consistently bad every single day.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

It’s pretty clear the cultists have stopped caring about deaths. The point is Trump and Co. have tried to downplay the severity and risks associated with this virus.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

It doesn't help that many of the "cultists" live in smaller more rural areas that aren't nearly as impacted by the virus as larger metropolitan areas. My larger county has had 50ish deaths...many of the smaller surrounding counties around me have 0 deaths, almost all less than 5 (and unsurprisingly they are mostly elderly)....so to an extent i understand why they have a hard time agreeing many of their businesses should be closed or restricted.

With schools open in most areas around me i am just waiting for a big spike. Thankfully my daughter's school is remote only because we wouldn't be sending her anyway.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:51 am It doesn't help that many of the "cultists" live in smaller more rural areas that aren't nearly as impacted by the virus as larger metropolitan areas. My larger county has had 50ish deaths...many of the smaller surrounding counties around me have 0 deaths, almost all less than 5 (and unsurprisingly they are mostly elderly)....so to an extent i understand why they have a hard time agreeing many of their businesses should be closed or restricted.

With schools open in most areas around me i am just waiting for a big spike. Thankfully my daughter's school is remote only because we wouldn't be sending her anyway.
Your logic that sparsely populated areas are less susceptible falls apart rather quickly upon inspection of data. Per 1M population the Dakotas and California have similar numbers of confirmed cases, about 19,000 per million.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

zsn wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:27 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:51 am It doesn't help that many of the "cultists" live in smaller more rural areas that aren't nearly as impacted by the virus as larger metropolitan areas. My larger county has had 50ish deaths...many of the smaller surrounding counties around me have 0 deaths, almost all less than 5 (and unsurprisingly they are mostly elderly)....so to an extent i understand why they have a hard time agreeing many of their businesses should be closed or restricted.

Your logic that sparsely populated areas are less susceptible falls apart rather quickly upon inspection of data. Per 1M population the Dakotas and California have similar numbers of confirmed cases, about 19,000 per million.
Please don't bring up facts when speaking to a Trumper
Deleted User 310

zsn wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:27 pm

It isn't/wasn't "my" logic. It is/was the logic of the sparsely populated areas it seems like. I said "to an extent i understand".

Good lord....and then cascadia randomly throws out i am a trumper when there are hundreds of past posts that specify i am the exaxt opposite of that. But oh well. Some can't help but be obnoxious.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I said “your logic” because you posted it. But regardless of who’s original hypothesis it maybe is immaterial. Fact remains that population density is not a good indicator of the severity of the spread. If you only focus on the SFBayArea the spread is mainly in Santa Clara and Alameda counties. Contra Costa, San Mateo, and San Francisco have lower incidence. Public health initiatives and their effectiveness have a greater bearing. Fresno county is more sparsely populated and is relatively a disaster.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I wish KU would have hired Bobby Petrino
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73