ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

actually, I think the first two are both bear
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:40 pm actually, I think the first two are both bear
as outdoorsy as i am, my only real training in track/scat ID’ing is probably Big Game Hunter on the wii
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:32 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:11 pm bonus prints!

bear
cougar
moose
?
bear
bear
moose or elk....no size comparison to determine.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

If/when Ousie gets eaten by a bear, do we bring Lobster back?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:40 pm If/when Ousie gets eaten by a bear, do we bring Lobster back?
No, then we feed Lobster to the elk.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh yeah that last one was def a moose print btw. In my driveway lol. Shoulda put something up for size comparison too cuz it was enormous.

Never seen elk in my neighborhood (yet?). Pretty sure it's just not on their migration routes or something. As far as I can tell, this elevation is only migration routes, and only for a few days a year. They pass through between wintering along the river on the downstream end of the county, and summers up at treeline.

We got moose in the hood year round tho, for worse or for worse. Lots of foxes, porcupine, ermine, that sorta stuff. Deer and bear in the summers.

bonus pic! this little dood that just ran up to me in the yard last summer

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

He probably assumed you were cool, then got close enough to realize that you aren’t me
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I've never heard anything quite like this before. I've lived in Flowduh for 10 years and both residences backed up to conservation areas. In both places neighbors have reported seeing Florida panthers. That strikes me as kind of incredible, considering how rare they are. That being said, one was my previous next door neighbor, and it sounded very credible.

Video of male (Florida) panther calling for mate
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

There was a quote in 1923 episode about cities and the outdoors that I loved. Its sad, and its only gotten worse...but its true I think.

You’ve been to New York. You’ve been to Boston. Now close your eyes and imagine those places if the cities weren’t there. Go on, do it…

White sands stretching to forests of hickory and elm taller than the buildings that stand there now. Meadows filled with bison and moose and bear. Millions of salmon swimming up the East River to spawn, so thick you could walk across them. Now think about what’s there now. A thirteen-mile-island of cement, with rivers of sewage runnin’ underneath until they dump it into the bay where salmon don’t dare to swim. That’s what they’ll do to this place. Damn the rivers… Flood the valleys… Cut every tree that stands to build cities. This paradise becomes another concrete desert.

Awhile back there was a discussion about people who say they wish they'd lived back in the 1800s and hownits just a fantasy and life actually sucked and yea yea and how people who say that don't mean it and they're just being obstinate or stupid about it blah blah.

Here's the thing....yes, life was unimaginably tough, conveniences nonexistent. But, you could see unspoiled places, untouched lands. Things we will never see again. Thats what makes it worthy of discussion and worthy of the fantasy. Not the difficulty of survival, thats a given. Of course we like modern creature comforts but my goodness, being able to see things the way they were, the way they were meant to be is something that we can only get in small snippets today.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Look at the way she was dressed. It's like she was asking to be kicked in the head by a moose!
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mooses are assholes.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Moose*
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Fantastic pictures. Personally, I have < 0 desire to swim, scuba dive, or snorkel in the open ocean in the dark.

#shudder
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:42 am
Fantastic pictures. Personally, I have < 0 desire to swim, scuba dive, or snorkel in the open ocean in the dark.

#shudder
you and my wife both
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

No thank you:

Oct 2, 2021 Florida Panther encounter.

A Florida panther nearly steps on my feet. I pretend I'm a tree. Thought it might turn out differently there for a second. My front yard, Naples, Florida, USA.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

while i’m sure such an encounter would be unnerving if not downright terrifying, just laying eyes on one of the rarest big cats in the world would make it worthwhile for me

plus, that’s an inherent “risk” that comes with living where you do…no different than gators (imo), and it’s why i once declined a job offer from UF
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'd love to see one too. My next door neighbor in Orlando saw one come out of the conservation area behind our houses-she saw something out of the corner of her eye and did a double take, and there it was. She wanted to snap a picture and knew I was home and would be interested, but didn't have her phone on her and decided to watch it instead of getting the phone. (Wise choice, as a former birder.)

Her husband was skeptical, as was I, but when he got home from work (From "Woke" Disney), he showed her a picture of a panther and she said "that's it". She had told me it had a long body and a long tail, which increased the possibility.

Having built and ridden lots of mt bike trails around KC on Park Dept., county, and Corps of Engineer land, mt bikers, among a slew of others, have occasionally reported seeing mt lions/pumas/cougars around Ks (and Mo) for decades. The state wildlife dept always said people were mistaken, and it was likely a bob cat or a coyote. And in the unlikely event it was really a cougar, it was probably a young nomadic male out looking for a territory who was essentially lost. I still don't think the Ks Dept of Wildlife think there are any mating pairs in the state. (An adult male mt lion's territory can be ~ 100 sq. miles!)
Anand Giridharadas