It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:42 am Some friends are nervous about losing 4 in a row. I said after Saturday that I think we win tonight and lose in Lexington.

If I'm being honest, that might be a deal I take right now because 3 losses in a row can really start to snowball. Let's go 2-0 just to be sure.
Feel much better about getting a W tonight compared to Saturday. Because Scott Drew sucks. McCullar has to defend George extremely well tonight.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:00 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:42 am Some friends are nervous about losing 4 in a row. I said after Saturday that I think we win tonight and lose in Lexington.

If I'm being honest, that might be a deal I take right now because 3 losses in a row can really start to snowball. Let's go 2-0 just to be sure.
Feel much better about getting a W tonight compared to Saturday. Because Scott Drew sucks. McCullar has to defend George extremely well tonight.
How many times has Bill lost 3 in a row here? I would guess 2-3x.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Once in 05
Once in 13
Happened in 2021 as well

Was close in 2019. Went 2-4 over a stretch. Lost 1, won 1, lost 2, won 1, lost 1
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:10 am Once in 05
Once in 13
Happened in 2021 as well

Was close in 2019. Went 2-4 over a stretch. Lost 1, won 1, lost 2, won 1, lost 1
For some reason I thought it happened in '18. I recall '05 and '13 well. '05 season spiraled out of control. '13 was Topeka YMCA, and we woke up.

I don't like the similarities of this team to the '21 team. Jalen makes this team better than '21, though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

2021 is a good comparison for this team.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's an OK comparison except we have a 1st/2nd team AA on this squad.
There was no go to on 21.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 am I think it's an OK comparison except we have a 1st/2nd team AA on this squad.
There was no go to on 21.
Which is why he said that Jalen Wilson makes this team better than 2021.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also like the potential upside of Dick later this season much more than Thompson's.

Udeh also just played his best minutes since he's been here. Low bar, sure, but better than nothing.

Just hate that we can't score in the halfcourt. That struggle bus indeed reminds of '21.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Dick needs to move more without the ball as he allows himself to be removed from the offense too much. Yes, he is being guarded tightly. Stop making that easier to do by standing in one spot so frequently. Everyone is easy to guard if they just stand there. Hopefully Bill can get him moving and Harris can shake off his slump and get back to making better decisions.

We also need KJ to stay out of foul trouble. He takes too many dumb fouls. He is already going to pick up a few cheapies being so small so don't make it worse.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 am Dick needs to move more without the ball as he allows himself to be removed from the offense too much. Yes, he is being guarded tightly. Stop making that easier to do by standing in one spot so frequently. Everyone is easy to guard if they just stand there. Hopefully Bill can get him moving and Harris can shake off his slump and get back to making better decisions.
In some ways, Gradey is our most impactful offensive player. Even if it looks like he's just "standing there," he's actually pulling the entire defense to his side opening it up for Jalen and Dajuan, and that's after being faceguarded.

Bill does need to figure out how to get him open looks. And then Gradey has to calm down a bit. Thought he was pressing too much last week. Really wanted to impact the games, but he's better when he just goes out and plays. CB did that as a sophomore.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:26 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 am Dick needs to move more without the ball as he allows himself to be removed from the offense too much. Yes, he is being guarded tightly. Stop making that easier to do by standing in one spot so frequently. Everyone is easy to guard if they just stand there. Hopefully Bill can get him moving and Harris can shake off his slump and get back to making better decisions.
In some ways, Gradey is our most impactful offensive player. Even if it looks like he's just "standing there," he's actually pulling the entire defense to his side opening it up for Jalen and Dajuan, and that's after being faceguarded.

Bill does need to figure out how to get him open looks. And then Gradey has to calm down a bit. Thought he was pressing too much last week. Really wanted to impact the games, but he's better when he just goes out and plays. CB did that as a sophomore.
Yeah, I see all that. I guess I am just saying that he needs to find a better balance because he seems to spend too much time stationary and not enough time getting loose. I think the limited opportunities are resulting in him pressing when he does finally get one. He'll learn some new tricks and Self should be able to supplement that with a few new wrinkles to get him some better shots. It will be fun to see how Self and KU counter this lull. Hopefully they can get back on track as soon as possible.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 amHe'll learn some new tricks and Self should be able to supplement that with a few new wrinkles to get him some better shots. It will be fun to see how Self and KU counter this lull. Hopefully they can get back on track as soon as possible.
No better time than the present.

He'll want to get the best of George, his former Team USA teammate.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Limited opportunities? He's taken 13 shots in each of the last 2 games.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve always kinda thought Self’s sets to get looks for a specific shooter/keep a shooter moving off the ball have never been great, but they’re prob as good as they’ve even been with/for Dick.

I’d also like to see some sets - at least a few a game - specifically to get Dajuan downhill. Much of that tho is installing a mindset for Dajuan to look to score in the first place, or at least maybe get free throws out of it.

It was about this time last year Self called Dajuan out for not getting to the line enough, and yet he’s still 0-fer in the majority of games this year.

Same with Bobby and Yes. I dunno how much we can afford to play multiple non-shooting smalls, but that’s pretty much what the rotation is gonna be. I’d like to see those doods in attack mode, heading to the hoop hard whenever possible, rather than passing up jumpers or whatever.

And still curious to see how our front court rotation ends up (for real have we ever had a roster get to the end of January without a single big getting consistent minutes?)

I guess that’s sort of not counting KJ as a big. either way, I’d like to have him be on the winning end of that matchup to exploit.

I kinda wonder how we’d look with someone in the post at least getting a touch. Even if we don’t have a big with a go-to move, just getting a touch in there might make other things happen.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

You want DH BP and JY to all be a cross between Steph Curry and Ja Morant it seems.

That's not realistic.

LOL @ "sets to get Dajaun downhill". Why does it need to be DH? I'd rather we "run sets" to get JW and GD good looks. We don't need to "run sets" specifically for DH to score. You coach/play to your personnel's strengths and weaknesses. Not the other way around.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:48 am Jay tonight.

https://twitter.com/announcerskeds/stat ... NCMjTSQkuw
No Fran, excellent.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

best news i’ve heard all day
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

got my GTS guess in for a KU win, but zero confidence. Gotta trust HCBS to adapt and change some things. CNB and 2coach have some good points above. This team has got to play loose. Defense, free throws, no dumb fouls or turnovers. Have fun.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wake up you loosers. It's Game Day.
Defense. Rebounds.