Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I know you're not here for genuine discussion, but i couldn't help but bite.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm I will ask again...what law would you like to see in place that would have prevented the Oxford Michigan shooting?
I haven’t read up on gun policy in a while, but generally I’d like Merica to take some approach similar to some other country that DOES manage to prevent this shit from happening.

Which is to say, oh, pretty much EVERY other country besides Merica
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:46 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm I will ask again...what law would you like to see in place that would have prevented the Oxford Michigan shooting?
I haven’t read up on gun policy in a while, but generally I’d like Merica to take some approach similar to some other country that DOES manage to prevent this shit from happening.

It starts with parenting.

There isn't a law that is going to stop a determined shooter.

As a society we need to stop raising so many angry hateful young kids who want to shoot up their schools.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:43 pm I know you're not here for genuine discussion, but i couldn't help but bite.
I am!

I think I can be up for genuine discussion and still be cheeky with a little satire.

The only reason I wouldn’t be up for genuine discussion is cuz I wasn’t really prepared for some detailed gun policy debate on a random Saturday night.

Now, if you’d like to make for a more leisurely approach, come hang bro, bout to fire up a fat bong bowl and crack a pale ale
Deleted User 863

Here are some stats on school shootings around the world...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm

It starts with parenting.

There isn't a law that is going to stop a determined shooter.

As a society we need to stop raising so many angry hateful young kids who want to shoot up their schools.
Well, sure.

If we could make folks less angry and hateful that’d be fantastic.

But society has always had angry hateful people.

What makes Merica unique is that guns have never before been so easy to get, or so powerful.

Didn’t Australia have one bad mass shooting that promptly..um, prompted? a gun buyback program? That citizens overwhelmingly bought into cuz they decided preventing mass shootings was more important than mah rights?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bro do we really have to do this right now?

It’s Saturday night. Let’s just chill out.

I gots a 12er of pale ales and a fat sack of sour kush. Come hang!

Seriously.

No seriously! Beav says he’s going to bed soon so I need someone else to be my wingman at the creek tonite
Deleted User 863

We've heard all the meme talking points.

Dig into the numbers.

Canada is 7th in civilian guns per capita. They rarely have school shootings.

Australia is around 50th in civilian guns per capita. They rarely have school shootings.

Yes, the amount of guns and ease of access to them is part of the problem, but it's only part of it. The amount of children we are raising that want to carry out stuff like this is the real problem.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm We've heard all the meme talking points.

The amount of children we are raising that want to carry out stuff like this is the real problem.
I don’t want to piss all over your parade here, but if these deranged kids want to kill someone…. Why don’t they use a knife…. an axe…a car.

Anything that should be significantly easier to get to that a fucking gun
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:59 pm
JKLivin wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:28 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Do you really think gun rights people don't care about school shootings? It's such a strawman comment.
Well, if they did, they'd be fine with the government studying how this happens and what can be done to prevent tragedies like this from happening in in the future.
FYP psych, sorry it doesn't fit your hyperbole.
I’m sure it is being studied, but the anti-gun and pro-gun people will be disappointed with the outcome, because it won’t be a simple checklist. It will include Dopamine reward pathway abnormalities that stem from early and prolonged exposure to smartphones and tablets, loss of empathy from social media and video games, and lack of attentive parents, to name a few.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

OK.

So what about other cultures makes it less likely kids wanna shoot up a school? Or less likely some other nutjob shoots up a concert or a theater or a church or whatever?

Can I assume Merica is 1st in guns per capita?

Cuz I think the number of guns and the amount of gun violence has to be pretty strongly correlated, right?

BTW my homie has this giant bong that’s shaped just like an AK47, you would have a blast with it, trust me!
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:08 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm We've heard all the meme talking points.

The amount of children we are raising that want to carry out stuff like this is the real problem.
I don’t want to piss all over your parade here, but if these deranged kids want to kill someone…. Why don’t they use a knife…. an axe…a car.

Civilian guns per capita in the United States is almost exactly the same in 2021 as it was in 1972....yet school shootings only became a "thing" the last 25-30years.

It is a lot easier to get an axe or knife than a gun...so not sure what your point was with that.

What law stops Oxford Michigan shooting? The kids parents purchased the gun for him as a present.

This starts with PARENTING.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:29 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:08 pm

Civilian guns per capita in the United States is almost exactly the same in 2021 as it was in 1972.

It is a lot easier to get an axe or knife than a gun...so not sure what your point was with that.

What law stops Oxford Michigan shooting? The kids parents purchased the gun for him as a present.

This starts with PARENTING.
So convenient that you not only missed my point completely, while at the same time confirming what I said, then avoided the fact that guns are undoubtedly WAY TOO FUCKING EASY TO FUCKING GET

Your desire to argue makes you incapable of staying on your own message
Deleted User 863

LOL i didn't miss your point. It was just a stupid point.

It's easier to kill people with guns than knives or axes or cars, that's why they use them over those other items.

And sure, guns are too easy to get. We agree there. But addressing that issue doesn't stop the Oxford Michigan shooting.

You're not a parent are you?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:36 pm

What a stupid fucking assessment to make.
Please tell why it entered your half wit thinking spot
Deleted User 863

If civilian guns per capita in the united states is unchanged the last 50+ years, but school shootings just became popular the last 25 or so....then what has changed?

It isn't as if there has been a sudden influx of guns and accessibility to guns. Aren't gun laws more restrictive in 2021 than they were in 1970?

Yes guns are too easy to get.
Yes we need more gun laws.

But those things alone won't stop school shootings from occuring. Determined shooters will find a way.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Becuase if you're a parent (are you?) and don't think nearly all school shootings involve multiple breakdowns in parenting then i would be shocked.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm If civilian guns per capita in the united states is unchanged the last 50+ years, but school shootings just became popular the last 25 or so....then what has changed?

It isn't as if there has been a sudden influx of guns and accessibility to guns. Aren't gun laws more restrictive in 2021 than they were in 1970?
I know that you have a lot more know how and training than me on the subject, but please allow me this simple indulgence.

Gun laws have changed a lot since the Gun Control Act of 1968.

That law prohibited:
Mail order (online) sales of guns. Circumvented by side bar allowances that say that you can purchase a gun in this manner, but you have to pick it up at a licensed gun dealer. By the way, this guy made jack shit on this transaction… he is super motivated to do due diligence.

Convicted felons were banned from owning or purchasing a fire arm. 5 states have created work around laws for this one, and the ones who haven’t simply don’t care

A firearm in 1972 was most likely a hunting style rifle or 6 round pistol. The shotgun was the most widely owned.

Assault rifles were very rare, and difficult to obtain in 1972. They simply hadn’t hit the civilian market yet

Should I keep going?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Speaking of strawman.

There’s bad parenting in the animal kingdom too.

How come you never hear of animals and shit shooting the place up?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:41 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Becuase if you're a parent (are you?) and don't think nearly all school shootings involve multiple breakdowns in parenting then i would be shocked.
I guess maybe I know the real stats more than you, a result of training in threat assessment.

To say “deep, it’s bad parenting” while ignoring school pressures, peer pressure, psychological issues or social placement as a factor…. at the same time acting like gun access isn’t the major contributing factor makes you look dumber than most of your posts do