Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by ousdahl »

Cut me some slack bro.

I never made it as a wise man...
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

There was a discussion about population density and spread of SARS-CoV2. Here is one analysis which shows head-to-head the relationship between disease rates and mask/distancing policies.

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ South Dakota is up to 19,189 cases and 202 deaths; SF is (click on California to see SF numbers) 10,865 cases and 99 deaths.

#MAGA

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Deaths doesn't shock me and I feel people should consider the possible/probable reasons why SD > SF.
San Francisco = Some of the best "infectious disease" hospitals in the country.
South Dakota = Maybe some good hospitals in the state but probably not as good as San Francisco's - nor as easily accessible for the residents.

The other thing I find somewhat interesting is that the majority of cases in South Dakota are in areas that are within 10 miles of other states such as Wyoming, Iowa, and Minnesota.
Are the people in SD getting the virus from people in other states and/or are they spreading it to people in other states?
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I don’t have time to respond to this in depth, but these are excellent questions. Aside from my daughter, my closest family members are in South Dakota. I will return to this when I have time.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the shocking thing is those numbers when looked at as a function of population density
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am the shocking thing is those numbers when looked at as a function of population density
I think it just proves that social distancing measures work. NYC is the most densely populated city in US, SF #2. NYC had the virus spreading without a firewall for probably 2 weeks, and it ravaged the city. SF and other cities saw what was happening, and shut things down. It greatly slowed down the spread.

I split my time between a very rural area, and a very populated area. Many people in the rural area don't take it seriously, while the populated area is more serious. I think because the spread is going to feel slower in the rural area, it's just not top of mind.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NiceDC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am the shocking thing is those numbers when looked at as a function of population density
I think it just proves that social distancing measures work. NYC is the most densely populated city in US, SF #2. NYC had the virus spreading without a firewall for probably 2 weeks, and it ravaged the city. SF and other cities saw what was happening, and shut things down. It greatly slowed down the spread.

I split my time between a very rural area, and a very populated area. Many people in the rural area don't take it seriously, while the populated area is more serious. I think because the spread is going to feel slower in the rural area, it's just not top of mind.
utah is a microcosm if this, with most all of the population congregated along he wasatch front

regardless of what the urban/suburban areas do, we’re still at the mercy of the rural (and religious) folks that not only don’t take it seriously, but go out of their way to mock those who do
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Very similar experience here....although i must say, even in the larger cities in central IL there are still plenty of people who simply don't give a fuck and think this is being blown out of proportion. Many are educated people/business owners. It is mind blowing.

My wife and i just do even more to make sure we are distancing and safe....other than me giving up golf of course, right PhD 😉
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 am Very similar experience here....although i must say, even in the larger cities in central IL there are still plenty of people who simply don't give a fuck and think this is being blown out of proportion. Many are educated people/business owners. It is mind blowing.

My wife and i just do even more to make sure we are distancing and safe....other than me giving up golf of course, right PhD 😉
People in SD golf 36 holes per day. People in SF only golf 9 holes per day. Fact.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I'm ashamed to say that I don't feel one bit of compassion for Governor Parson and his wife. I understand the Governor's wife is the sicker of the two. Someone with more gravitas than me should figure out how to make this a campaign issue, particularly as to who is paying for their treatment when the Governor is advocating health care insurance restrictions and was against Medicaid expansion.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You know what sort of chaps my ass? The success in pro sports - yes, after a rocky start for MLB and a couple setbacks in others - is sort of prima facie evidence that we really do have all the tools we need to make something approximating normal life safe.

It is just a matter of money/resources (which we have in abundance but have chosen not to spend well or enough), and leadership/organization (which of course we do not have).
Deleted User 318

Pork factories paying near minimum wage would rather pay for the wrongful death settlement of the 2% of their factory worker (likely pushing a low-ball settlements on the family and not claiming responsibility) then paying the money to make things actually safer.

But I also think that pro players also have more incentive to keep their own millions safe. If I were a linesman living paycheck to paycheck, I wouldn't think my own life was worth the extra effort. I'm trying to get to work to make sure my 2007 Civic doesn't get repoed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:47 am Pork factories paying near minimum wage would rather pay for the wrongful death settlement of the 2% of their factory worker (likely pushing a low-ball settlements on the family and not claiming responsibility) then paying the money to make things actually safer.

But I also think that pro players also have more incentive to keep their own millions safe. If I were a linesman living paycheck to paycheck, I wouldn't think my own life was worth the extra effort. I'm trying to get to work to make sure my 2007 Civic doesn't get repoed.
But the responsibility shouldn't lie with the linesman. That's not how this works.
Deleted User 318

Yes, you have both labor and management preferring inaction. Factories are too cheap and lazy to care, and the labor wants to ensure work is not disrupted to make sure bills are paid. Sports have both sides wanting the same goal, making those billions, and I think both sides are amicable to ensuring that is happening.

Only party left is the government, and after March, nothing has been signed on COVID federally. I agree that the Fed should step in, but we can't even get the government funded as of now. America failed, and failed hard. Government after initial action has done nothing, businesses have pushed as hard as they can to open to the detriment to the public, and my MIL won't put on a mask because F U Obama.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Well you can hit management by hitting where it hurts by not consuming their product. In this case buying meat locally or not buying it
Deleted User 318

zsn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:49 am Well you can hit management by hitting where it hurts by not consuming their product. In this case buying meat locally or not buying it
You're now trusting Americans not to eat Bacon.

We are truly doomed.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Good point. Give Me Bacon and Give Me Death!! Great motto.